Page 125 of 261 FirstFirst ... 2575115121122123124125126127128129135175225 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,875 of 3909

Now I'm re-reading the first of the Nero Wolfe series of mysteries:

Fer-de-Lance by Rex Stout
    (orig. published 1934 / Bantam "Crime Line" reissue edition 1992)

NOTE: The beginning of the story definitely dates itself.
    First published in 1934, it starts with Archie telling how Wolfe had instructed Fritz Brenner (Wolfe's cook) to go out and buy one bottle each of "every kind procurable" beer. This was because Wolfe had decided to give up the "bootleg beer" he had been drinking for years "if he could find a brand of the legal 3.2" beer that was suitable.
    In March of 1933, while Prohibition was still the law, the President (FDR) had signed an amendment that allowed the sale and manufacture of beer that was 3.2% (alcohol by weight) beer; it wouldn't be until December of that year that Prohibition itself would be repealed (though local jurisdictions would still be able to limit or outright ban the sale of alcohol).

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Two questions for everyone:

What are your top five books of 2018?

What is your favorite sci-fi novel of 2018?
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Published in, or read?
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Published in, or read?
    Books that you read
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Top 5 Read
    Fingersmith
    Live and Let Die
    Waylander
    Legend
    Corpus

Best Sci-Fi
    Doctor Who: The Good Doctor - I haven't read much Sci-Fi though

An additional question; anything you are looking forward to in 2019?

I am very excited for 'The Priory of the Orange Tree', but funds have meant that I may not pick it up for some time after it's release (late February). I was also hoping to get it signed at Waterstones on 28th February as Samantha Shannon is visiting for a discussion evening, but I am away with work
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

I finished reading the J.J. Hensley thriller Record Scratch.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

I'm reading The Caine Mutiny right now.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Attachment 77173

I have just finished The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend. I really love the Drenai works, although there are a couple I still haven't collected, but this is most definitely the weakest entry. Particularly the ending, it didn't have the epic feel of a Gemmell battle, it just sort of limped its way to the acknowledgements.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Began reading today (on my Kindle) Murder on the Links (1923), the second Hercule Poirot story by Agatha Christie.

Non-Kindle reading tomorrow will be American Legends: Abbott & Costello (2014) by Charles River Editors...

and, because the other book is short, The Story of Civilization: Volume 1: Our Oriental Heritage (1935) by Will and Ariel Durant (I got all eleven volumes back in the '90s when I joined the History Book Club - finally getting to them!)

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Two questions for everyone:

What are your top five books of 2018?

What is your favorite sci-fi novel of 2018?
    I'll try to get back to you on that, Whovian.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    An additional question; anything you are looking forward to in 2019?
    The book I'm most looking forward to this year is Tiamat's Wrath (The Expanse). The 8th novel in the series.

I finished reading the new Matthew Quirk thriller The Night Agent.

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

I finished a couple of books over the weekend and reviewed them over on the Goodreads website.

Record Scratch by J.J. Hensley.

The Night Agent by Matthew Quirk

Just finished the second Gotham book. They aren't great books but I wasn't expecting them to be, just fun filler, much like the TV series itself. I still enjoyed it though

Attachment 77521