Page 143 of 260 FirstFirst ... 4393133139140141142143144145146147153193243 ... LastLast
Results 2,131 to 2,145 of 3897

Currently reading Mrs Dalloway, by Virginia Woolf
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    The Strain is fantastic! Again, normally I am a slow reader but I flew through the Strain trilogy because it kept me hooked!
    I liked it early on but it kind of drug the second half of the book. I'll probably do the rest but right now I've been trying to finish up a lot of my unlistened to audible books before picking up new ones. Because of sales I've picked up a lot of books over the last few years without using my credits. Then I'll decide which series I really want to finish or if I'd rather just use my credits to go and get an series I listened to years ago on CD's from the library but would like to listen to again (like the Dresden Files or Wheel of Time).

I finished the Ingrid Thoft thriller Loyalty.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Exclamation

Since Winter -

The Fever of 1721: The Epidemic That Revolutionized Medicine and American Politics by Stephen Coss

Island on Fire: The extraordinary story of Laki, the volcano that turned eighteenth-century Europe dark by Jeff Kanipe

There Was and There Was Not: A Journey Through Hate and Possibility in Turkey, Armenia, and Beyond by Meline Toumani

The Scorpion's Sting: Antislavery and the Coming of the Civil War by James Oakes

Freedom National: The Destruction of Slavery in the United States, 1861-1865 by James Oakes

The March on Washington: Jobs, Freedom, and the Forgotten History of Civil Rights by William P. Jones

A Brief History of the Dynasties of China by Bamber Gascoigne

Once Upon A Revolution: An Egyptian Story by Thanassis Cambanis

As you can probably tell by the list I'm a history and political science buff besides being trained in Sociology.
    Last edited by Celgress; 08-03-2019 at 08:44 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Just finished one of the Stranger Things novels. It wasn't awful, just decent

Attachment 85450
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Latest Kindle read: Killer's Wedge (1959) by Ed McBain, the eighth book from the 87th Precinct series by the late, great author.

A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    As you can probably tell by the list I'm a history and political science buff besides being trained in Sociology.
    Nothing wrong with that, Celgress. They all look very appealing to me. If there's a problem for me, it's that I need a break between similar-themed books in order to avoid burnout.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Latest Kindle read: Killer's Wedge (1959) by Ed McBain, the eighth book from the 87th Precinct series by the late, great author.

I've picked up another couple of 87th books after reading the first one (I forget the name), but it's quite a list to collect...
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I've picked up another couple of 87th books after reading the first one (I forget the name), but it's quite a list to collect...
    Oh, I'll be reading them for a long, long time, but, IMO, they're worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post

Read that back in late October.
    (Had to borrow it from a neighboring library, though, because an actual paper copy wasn't available through Barnes & Noble.)

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    First one was Cop Hater which originally came out back in 1956.
    His last one in that series was published in 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Read that back in late October.
    (Had to borrow it from a neighboring library, though, because an actual paper copy wasn't available through Barnes & Noble.)

First one was Cop Hater which originally came out back in 1956.
    His last one in that series was published in 2005.
    That's the one. Loved it!

BANNED

Querelle of Brest (1947) by Jean Genet

The Gay Metropolis: The Landmark History of Gay Life In America by Charles Kaiser. Reading it as preparation for future instruction. Here in NJ, we'll have to start to teach LGBTQ history starting next year. Definitely feel it's a fascinating read, especially when it places events in historical context. Didn't realize pre Stonewall just how much of a gay culture there was. The interviews are nice as well. Since a lot of the interviews were taken in modern times, the stories are really thorough. What's cool is that some interviewees actually comment on articles or TV programs they produced regarding homosexuality.

My only complaint is that seems to focus a lot of gay men. Haven't finished it yet, but I see few lesbians, bisexuals, or transgenders mentioned. Also, there are few people of color. Still, I think this is a good starting point. Hope to learn more about this history in the future.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Astonishing Member

After not reading fiction for about 10 years, I tried the first Got book. It was easy written, very readable, but I lost interest half way, put it aside and forgot about it for a few weeks.

I believe that the modern times with shorter comics, using text messages instead of phoning, watching more tv shows instead of longer movies did shorten my attention span massively, up to the point where I cannot read a book anymore, because it takes too much time.

While reading, I think about the other stuff I want to read or watch. There is so much on the telly (streaming) and so many comic books, and life and work that I don't have the "time" to sit through a book anymore.

Except autobiographies, or books about history or documentaries.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    After not reading fiction for about 10 years, I tried the first Got book. It was easy written, very readable, but I lost interest half way, put it aside and forgot about it for a few weeks.

I believe that the modern times with shorter comics, using text messages instead of phoning, watching more tv shows instead of longer movies did shorten my attention span massively, up to the point where I cannot read a book anymore, because it takes too much time.

While reading, I think about the other stuff I want to read or watch. There is so much on the telly (streaming) and so many comic books, and life and work that I don't have the "time" to sit through a book anymore.

Except autobiographies, or books about history or documentaries.
    I agree with this. I used to read voraciously to the tune of at least 4-5 books a month and sometimes more. My senior year of English in high school we had a book report assignment we had to read at least one book. I read 26 that semester. My teacher didn't believe me until she started quizzing me on them and I was able to give plot details of each of them.

Now some 20-30 years later I think I've actually read maybe 3 print books in the last year and each was a chore to get through as I just get distracted by things I'd rather be doing. I still listen to audio books constantly (my job is such that I usually get 4-6 hrs a shift of an audio book done) but other than comics and short attention span news articles on the net I don't read anything.