Page 174 of 261 FirstFirst ... 74124164170171172173174175176177178184224 ... LastLast
Results 2,596 to 2,610 of 3907

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    "The Blue Carbuncle" is probably my favourite and it was well adapted by the Jeremy Brett series. Another is "The Red-Headed League" which was the first Holmes story I ever read--it was in our class reader, when I was about ten--and the Brett series does a hilarious adaptation. Less so for the actual story and more for the Brett adaptation, I love "The Copper Beeches" because it starred a young Natasha Richardson. And finally "The Man with the Twisted Lip," which is a cracking good yarn.
    The Jeremy Brett adaptation is so good, huh. It is hard to picture Holmes and Watson and their Victorian world any differently after watching the Brett series. I think 'The Speckled Band' or 'The Six Napoleons' might be my favourite Brett episodes. . . I do agree with you about the Red-Headed League though, also the 'The Man with the Twisted Lip' (Holmes liked his opium). I think in terms of the stories themselves, from memory I think 'A Case of Identity' or 'The Five Orange Pips' might be my favourite.

Currently listening to the Rivers of London audiobooks. Fun urban fantasy. There are comics, too, and I plan to read them.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

I finished an advance copy of the debut thriller A DESPERATE PLACE by Jennifer Greer. I'll be reviewing it for Mystery Scene magazine.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Latest Kindle read: The Flying U's Last Stand (1915), the fourth book from the Flying series by B.M. Bower

A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Currently I'm reading The Trials of Apollo: The Tyrant's Tomb by Rick Riordan

Next on my list is Circe by Madeline Miller (I read her The Song of Achilles before and it was amazing)

Clearly I enjoy Greek mythology

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Currently listening to the Rivers of London audiobooks. Fun urban fantasy. There are comics, too, and I plan to read them.
    Rivers of London is one of my favourite book series. I've just started reading the first book again (for the third time).

I was delighted to find out today that the short stories, which have been published in various special editions, are being collected and made available for the first time on Kindle later this month. Highly recommended.

https://www.amazon.com/Tales-Folly-R...s%2C233&sr=8-5

I'm now reading Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies (1997) by Jared Diamond.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Synestra View Post
    Currently I'm reading The Trials of Apollo: The Tyrant's Tomb by Rick Riordan

Next on my list is Circe by Madeline Miller (I read her The Song of Achilles before and it was amazing)

Clearly I enjoy Greek mythology
    I haven't read any Rick Riordan in years. I look forward to the Disney Plus series.

I finished reading an advance copy of Ellen Hart's In A Midnight Wood last night for a review I'll be doing for Mystery Scene magazine.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

I just finished this, mentioned earlier.

Attachment 98458
    Dark does not mean deep.

And am currently working through this one.

Attachment 98459

If anyone has watched The Pacific, this book was written by one of the Marines followed in the series.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    And am currently working through this one.

Attachment 98459

If anyone has watched The Pacific, this book was written by one of the Marines followed in the series.
    I read Leckie's George Washington's War years ago and enjoyed it, FWIW.

Latest Kindle read: 'Til Death (1959), the ninth book from the 87th Precinct series by the late, great Ed McBain.

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    I haven't read any Rick Riordan in years. I look forward to the Disney Plus series.
    Funny enough, I only got into Rick's books recently. I initially refused because I saw the Percy Jackson movies first. Then I saw that Rick himself hated the movies, and how much the fandom loved the books, so I gave it a try and read the entire Percy Jackson series and Heroes of Olympus back to back, then started Trials of Apollo. I'm glad I gave the series a chance.

After a couple days of not reading any book, today I will start No Country For Old Men. Cormac McCarthy is steadily becoming one of my favorite novelists, so I'm very eager to check out the novel. I remember watching the movie some years ago and liking it. It looked like a close adaptation of the source material, so everything indicates that I will enjoy the book.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH