Page 224 of 260 FirstFirst ... 124174214220221222223224225226227228234 ... LastLast
Results 3,346 to 3,360 of 3898

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Man, I read those like over forty years ago!
    Probably not too long after they were originally published.
    Ive only read one of them The Rebels. But my landlord had the whole set in a box of books he had and brought them over because he knows I like historical fiction. I also got the North and South Trilogy. So my reading for a long time is set

The Best part is you know old books have that kind of musty smell. I love that smell. reminds me of this old book store I used to go to as a kid
    Last edited by babyblob; 05-14-2022 at 04:48 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Reading like crazy the last couple of days. I finished Trollslayer.

I am going to move on to The Bastards by John Jakes. The first in the Kent Family books.
    I have never read any of Jakes' books, but I do remember watching the The Bastard on TV. Unquestionably, that was the first time I ever recall hearing that word on the small screen, which was a rare thing up to that time.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I have never read any of Jakes' books, but I do remember watching the The Bastard on TV. Unquestionably, that was the first time I ever recall hearing that word on the small screen, which was a rare thing up to that time.
    I didnt know they were turned into tv shows. I knew North and South was and I liked that better. I will have see if any of the Kent shows are floating around somewhere.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

I didnt know they were turned into tv shows. I knew North and South was and I liked that better. I will have see if any of the Kent shows are floating around somewhere.
    The Bastard was one of the first miniseries seen on independent stations. As for North and South, I also liked it better myself.

The Bastard came out in 1974, right around the U.S.'s bicentennial in 1976. (It was the first book in The Kent Family Chronicles, a.k.a. "The American Bicentennial Series".)
    The TV movie, which was in two parts, came out in 1978.

The Bastard came out in 1974, right around the U.S.'s bicentennial in 1976. (It was the first book in The Kent Family Chronicles, a.k.a. "The American Bicentennial Series".)
    The TV movie, which was in two parts, came out in 1978.
    I will for sure try and check it out. The North and South books are amazing to me. I love them. The mini series was not bad and I did enjoy it. So I will see if I can find the Kent one. Though when it comes to Civil War Mini series The Blue and The Grey cant be beat!

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Love is a Racket by John Ridley (I Am Batman). For Fans of Elmore Leonard

Curse of the Vampire by Geoffrey Caine
    Watching television is not an activity.

Now reading

Black Harvest: The Complete Black Mask Cases of Jules Tremaine by Norvell W. Page
    (© 2021 Steeger Properties, LLC)

Amazing Member

I've been thinking about getting some of those Complete Black Mask Cases of... books. The Rex Sackler collection sounds like a lot of fun. Do you have any favorites?

Quote Originally Posted by GemSaloon007 View Post
    I've been thinking about getting some of those Complete Black Mask Cases of... books. The Rex Sackler collection sounds like a lot of fun. Do you have any favorites?
    Not favorites, but so far I've read:
    * Tough as Nails: The Complete Casebook of Donahue from the Pages of Black Mask by Frederick Nebel (Altus Press - 2012)
    * Dead Evidence: The Complete Black Mask Cases of Harrigan by Ed Lybeck (Steeger Properties - 2020)
    * Blood on the Curb: A BLACK MASK Mystery by Joseph T. Shaw (© 1936 / © 2020 Steeger Properties, LLC.)
    * Boomerang Dice: The Complete BLACK MASK Cases of Johnny Hi Gear by Stewart Sterling <Nathaniel Prentice Winchell> (Steeger Properties - 2020)
    * The Price of a Dime: The Complete BLACK MASK Cases of Ben Shaley by Norbert Davis (© 2021 Steeger Properties, LLC)
    * Street Wolf: The Black Mask Stories of Frederick Nebel by Frederick Nebel (Altus Press - 2014)

I'll probably get the Rex Sackler one soon. By the way, Steeger usually has a 25% off sale around July 4th if you want to order directly from them.

New Kindle novel I'm reading; The Good Soldier (1915) by Ford Madox Ford.

I finished Cheddar Off Dead. It's the first book in The Cheese Shop Mysteries series by Korina Moss.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I finished Cheddar Off Dead. It's the first book in The Cheese Shop Mysteries series by Korina Moss.
    Didn't Daryl Wood Gerber (writing under the pseudonym "Avery Aames") also have a series called "A Cheese Shop Mystery"?

Didn't Daryl Wood Gerber (writing under the pseudonym "Avery Aames") also have a series called "A Cheese Shop Mystery"?
    I did not know that.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.