Page 149 of 261 FirstFirst ... 4999139145146147148149150151152153159199249 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,235 of 3909

I have finally started reading the Barnaby novels, having been a big fan of the TV series since my teens.

Attachment 87632
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I have finally started reading the Barnaby novels, having been a big fan of the TV series since my teens.

Attachment 87632
    I only heard about the show (which I like a lot) fairly recently and had no idea there were books available but not surprised).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

New Kindle read: The Hunted Woman (1916) by James Oliver Curwood.

Starting tomorrow, my latest non-Kindle book will be Lord Peter: The Complete Lord Peter Wimsey Stories* (1972) by Dorothy L. Sayers.

* All of the short stories, not the novels.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I only heard about the show (which I like a lot) fairly recently and had no idea there were books available but not surprised).
    Ye, it's a great show so long as you don't take it too seriously. It's so different to the likes of Morse (also a great show as are Lewis and Endeavour, and even better books) or A Touch of Frost, but it's so good. The books actually came first and there are only five (or six maybe, I forget and CBA checking), but they make up the first corresponding episodes of series 1, which now that I think about it only has five episodes so there must be five books. I remember a few years ago I read this article where somebody had calculated the murder rate in Midsomer, it wasn't good
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

The thing about the show is, after you get through three eps you realise that every single episode is exactly the same. Also, it kind of sucks that Barnaby never manages to actually catch the culprit before they end up dead themself, he would be out of the job after a couple of cases I'd think...

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Ye, it's a great show so long as you don't take it too seriously. It's so different to the likes of Morse (also a great show as are Lewis and Endeavour, and even better books) or A Touch of Frost, but it's so good. The books actually came first and there are only five (or six maybe, I forget and CBA checking), but they make up the first corresponding episodes of series 1, which now that I think about it only has five episodes so there must be five books. I remember a few years ago I read this article where somebody had calculated the murder rate in Midsomer, it wasn't good
    Yeah, sometimes I think I'd rather live in Gotham City than there.

Quote Originally Posted by maninthemacintosh1606 View Post
    The thing about the show is, after you get through three eps you realise that every single episode is exactly the same. Also, it kind of sucks that Barnaby never manages to actually catch the culprit before they end up dead themself, he would be out of the job after a couple of cases I'd think...
    Yeah, while the show is formulaic, I always enjoy the ride.

To be fair, the show is supposed to be formulaic

I'm currently reading Mistborn Book 3: The Hero Of Ages.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Yeah, sometimes I think I'd rather live in Gotham City than there.

Yeah, while the show is formulaic, I always enjoy the ride.
    I like the eps with lots of incest meself

BANNED

Daddy’s Boy (1968) by Gene North

I finished an advance copy of the new Michael Connelly novel The Night Fire.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Finally getting around to the Wheel of Time books. I've heard so much about them, lets see if they live up to the hype. There are like 14 books in the series but don't think I'm gonna try and knock them all out just yet

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Word of warning we've been waiting on the next book since 2013, the first two make for pretty good standalones but the third was meant to kick off a more overarching story. And then the author had personal stuff happen and we've been waiting ever since
    The Doors of Stone, Winds of Winter, and now The Thorn of Emberlain Why is that fantasy writers take a decade off before they finish?
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    Finally getting around to the Wheel of Time books. I've heard so much about them, lets see if they live up to the hype. There are like 14 books in the series but don't think I'm gonna try and knock them all out just yet

On my list too. I bought EotW and I'm just going to pick them up once in a while whilst I'm reading other stuff

Newest Kindle read: The Extraordinary Adventures of Arsene Lupin, Gentleman-Burgla (1907), the first Lupin book by Maurice Leblanc.