Page 45 of 261 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595145 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Cap10nate View Post
    I was on a Michael Crighton kick earlier this year and read through Jurassic Park, Lost World, Andromeda Strain, and Eaters of the Dead. Jurassic Park was extremely good and different from the movie. Still have Congo on the shelf of his that I haven't read yet.
    OMG Jurassic Park the book. One the one hand it utterly kept me enthralled as a page turner to the point I finished it one day. On the other hand I wanted so badly to punch the supersmartbrats, as I call them, in the face for being so annoying. In today's literature it would be a YA book since it features kids who are the main protagonists and smarter than all the adults around them only these superbrats have few of the redeeming qualities of today's YA protagonists. Nonetheless, as I said I couldn't put the book down despite how badly the superbrats annoyed me.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

"Freedom Land" (Historical Novel About The Second Seminole War) by Martin L. Marcus, and "Forty Lashes Less One" by Elmore Leonard.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Fifth Way (which is now a motion picture apparently) by Rick Lancey - got the book yesterday and so far I've only read the first two chapters. Promising start at least.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cap10nate View Post
    I was on a Michael Crighton kick earlier this year and read through Jurassic Park, Lost World, Andromeda Strain, and Eaters of the Dead. Jurassic Park was extremely good and different from the movie. Still have Congo on the shelf of his that I haven't read yet.

I did read Killer Angels this year and it is one of the best books I ever read by Michael Shaara. I have subsequently read the prequel, Gods and Generals by his son, Jeff, and it was also extremely good. Currently reading the Last Full Measure which picks up after the events of Killer Angels and it is also enjoyable so far.
    Lost World, haven't read it for years but I remember enjoying it. I'll have to find it. I know the front cover of it has fallen off LOL.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    I love that Gaiman, one of the greats, writes books for kids, too. My daughter and I read Coraline together and then watched the movie, so she's well primed to read Sandman and American Gods once she's older. Her current book we're working through at bedtime is another Neil Gaiman one, called "Fortunately, The Milk" about a dad who goes time traveling with a dinosaur to get milk for his kids breakfast cereal.
    I accidentally left my copy of Coraline on the bus! I'm going to have to buy another copy so I can finish the story!

Invincible Member

However, I'm going to be taking a long bus trip and I've got a copy of True Hallucinations by Terence McKenna. So, yeah...

Attention Stephen King fans.
    The adaption of 11.22.63 debuts on Hulu tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    And how true that was.

Loved it.
    Yeah, season 2 is going to be a major downer. Most people I know cite the character that dies as their favorite from the show, and I always have to hold my tongue with my book spoilers.

I'm almost done with book 5 of the series. So far my Expanse book rankings go 1>4>5>3>2

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Calamity, book 3 of the Reckoners comes out next week!
    This is excellent news.
    I haven;t read Stormlight Archive yet, and should probably get on it soon.
    Last edited by Ragdoll; 02-14-2016 at 07:02 PM.

I finished the Linda Castillo thriller Sworn To Silence last night.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Just finished Brandon Sanderson's Calamity, really satisfying end to the trilogy
    Last edited by Hiromi; 02-22-2016 at 12:21 PM.

I'm about a third of the way into Patrick Madden's essay collection Sublime Physick, which is absolutely fantastic. Madden is both a scholar and writer of essays, and he is able to reference Montaigne and Gleek from Super Friends in the same essay. Really good stuff.

I'm way behind on my reading, since I've been trying to finish writing a novel of my own. I finished a first draft and am currently editing and adding to it for a more presentable second draft. If anyone wants to read a short suspense story I finished recently, check out the Artist Showcase board, I have a thread on the front page with links to two stories. The one I just added today is a million times better, though, so go with reading that first.

I'm supposed to be reading Childhood's End for a book club and am about to miss the deadline unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Just finished Brandon Sanderson's Calamity, really satisfying end to the trilogy
    I am so excited to read this soon. It is the first book on my backlog I will be picking up once I have the time.
    Last edited by Ragdoll; 02-22-2016 at 03:16 PM.

I finished Matthew Betley's debut novel Overwatch.

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Just started 'The Man in the High Castle'. I thought the book would be bigger and longer.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Mighty Member

Five Came Back A Story of Hollywood and the Second World War by Mark Harris

My latest book review is for the debut thriller Overwatch by Matthew Betley. You can check it out via this Pop-topia.com link.