Page 199 of 261 FirstFirst ... 99149189195196197198199200201202203209249 ... LastLast
Results 2,971 to 2,985 of 3909
    Amazing Member

I have heard of Frederick Nebel. I saw someone in this thread reading him a while back and looked him up. Seems like his Cardigan and Macbride and Kennedy are his most well-known.

Quote Originally Posted by GemSaloon007 View Post
    I have heard of Frederick Nebel. I saw someone in this thread reading him a while back . . .
    That might have been me.

If you're interested, the company that's been putting out collections of his stories is Steeger Books (https://steegerbooks.com/).

Homage to Catalonia, by George Orwell
    Save the Cat!, by Blake Snyder
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

I finished Jon Land's Murder, She Wrote: The Murder Of Twelve.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

I'm currently reading The Ember Blade by Chris Wooding. It's off to a good start.

Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Want to read me some James Ellroy and was wondering where is a good book to start? Years ago I loved (not kidding LOVED) L.A.Confidential and right now I am eyeing Perfidia (but there's so many)

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Want to read me some James Ellroy and was wondering where is a good book to start? Years ago I loved (not kidding LOVED) L.A.Confidential and right now I am eyeing Perfidia (but there's so many)
    Haven't read any Ellroy myself, but L.A. Confidential was part of his L.A. Quartet series: https://www.goodreads.com/series/56669-l-a-quartet

It also appears Perfidia is the first book in what is being referred to as the Second L.A. Quartet series, set prior to the books in the original L.A. Quartet series, but it looks like there have only been two books issued so far for that foursome (Perfidia and This Storm). Also, wikipedia says some of the characters in the L.A. Quartet series first appeared in Ellroy's book Clandestine first published in 1982. (The first book in the L.A. Quartet series came out five years after that.)

Thank you for caring Major but I had done the research myself and was looking for opinions. I guess I like his writing on a case (or book) by case/book basis.

(ab)normal psychology, Fifth edition by Susan Nolen-Hoeksema
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Thank you for caring Major but I had done the research myself and was looking for opinions. I guess I like his writing on a case (or book) by case/book basis.
    Have you seen the movie?

It is, IMHO, one of the rare instances of a book and film being equally good.

It is a great modernization of the noir genre. The characters are very dynamic and the plots & sub-plots are well-planned and feel organic. It feels like at times the author enjoys slowly unraveling the sub-plots. It reads like a movie. The characters have great agency. They are always on the make and playing one another. Get ready for lots of accurate 50s slang!

I would continue down the LA Quartet path in order. Black Dahlia being my favorite of his. You already read LA but should be fine.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 05-04-2021 at 10:22 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Have you seen the movie?

It is, IMHO, one of the rare instances of a book and film being equally good.

It is a great modernization of the noir genre. The characters are very dynamic and the plots & sub-plots are well-planned and feel organic. It feels like at times the author enjoys slowly unraveling the sub-plots. It reads like a movie. The characters have great agency. They are always on the make and playing one another. Get ready for lots of accurate 50s slang!

I would continue down the LA Quartet path in order. Black Dahlia being my favorite of his. You already read LA but should be fine.
    Thank you, Beastie. Yes, the movie is great as well. I would pick up Black Dahlia now but already own the movie and the Graphic Novel from Archaia. The novel is probably better but I'm already familiar with the broad strokes now.

White Jazz should be a good way to continue reading for me. After WJ I'll move on to Perfidia.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Latest reading starting today: the short story The Damned Thing (1898) by Ambrose Bierce and the novella The Voice in the Fog (1915) by Harold MacGrath.

A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Newest book I'm reading: The Last Man (2012), the thirteenth and final Mitch Rapp novel written by the late Vince Flynn.

Kindle-wise, it's the novella The House of the Vampire (1907) by George Sylvester Viereck.

A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Newest book I'm reading: The Last Man (2012), the thirteenth and final Mitch Rapp novel written by the late Vince Flynn.
    You know the series was continued by Kyle Mills, who was hired by the estate and the publisher, right? Mills has done an amazing job not only keeping the series alive but making the series his own as well. I got to meet him on his book tour a couple books back.

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

I finished reading Murder, She Wrote: Murder In Season by Jon Land. It's the sixth and final book in the series that Land wrote. Like the previous five I found it to be a darn good read.

Tonight I'm going to a book signing for another author whose work I completely adore and I've been invited to dinner with the author afterwards.