Page 114 of 261 FirstFirst ... 1464104110111112113114115116117118124164214 ... LastLast
Results 1,696 to 1,710 of 3909
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Started reading last night King of Foxes (2003) by Raymond E. Feist, the second book from the Conclave of Shadows series. It's also the 23rd Riftwar Universe book I have read from Feist.

A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Question for you guys. I'm looking for a new series of books to read. I love the Expanse series and currently waiting for the next book to arrive in March. Books I like are the Hobbit, LOTR, Hellboy novels, Doctor Who novels and pulp.

Now, I don't care for excessive foul language, extreme sexual situations or books that feature heavily on magic. I will tolerate some swearing (like there is in Expanse), but I would rather not have any in the books I read. I just like fun, science fiction or pulp books. Can you guys recommend some series of books that fall into my categories?
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    Question for you guys. I'm looking for a new series of books to read. I love the Expanse series and currently waiting for the next book to arrive in March. Books I like are the Hobbit, LOTR, Hellboy novels, Doctor Who novels and pulp.

Now, I don't care for excessive foul language, extreme sexual situations or books that feature heavily on magic. I will tolerate some swearing (like there is in Expanse), but I would rather not have any in the books I read. I just like fun, science fiction or pulp books. Can you guys recommend some series of books that fall into my categories?
    Isaac Asimov's Foundation, Empire, and Robot books are a must, IMO. I would add Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover novels, too, though I haven't read every one to know if they meet your reading requirements, Whovian.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Started reading last night King of Foxes (2003) by Raymond E. Feist, the second book from the Conclave of Shadows series. It's also the 23rd Riftwar Universe book I have read from Feist.

Overall one of my favourite authors...but for me, my enjoyment of the books he’s written in last 12 years or so has been substantially below his earlier work.

Strangely..because I seldom like books that are co-authored I think the books of his I most enjoyed were the Daughter of Empire series, which he co-wrote with Janny Wurts.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Overall one of my favourite authors...but for me, my enjoyment of the books he’s written in last 12 years or so has been substantially below his earlier work.
    Not surprised to hear it, though I most likely will still check them out at some point.

Strangely..because I seldom like books that are co-authored I think the books of his I most enjoyed were the Daughter of Empire series, which he co-wrote with Janny Wurts.
    Same here, Jack. That Japanese/Egyptian flavor to the Kelewan universe was so singularly interesting compared to other fantasy novels I have read. Also, Mara of the Acoma is one of the greatest heroines of the fantasy genre, IMO.

Not surprised to hear it, though I most likely will still check them out at some point.

Same here, Jack. That Japanese/Egyptian flavor to the Kelewan universe was so singularly interesting compared to other fantasy novels I have read. Also, Mara of the Acoma is one of the greatest heroines of the fantasy genre, IMO.
    Certainly agree about Mara. I seldom re-read prose books...but the trilogy is one of the relatively few I most likely will.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Isaac Asimov's Foundation, Empire, and Robot books are a must, IMO. I would add Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover novels, too, though I haven't read every one to know if they meet your reading requirements, Whovian.
    Thanks. I'll have to check those out
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Just finished Mosley's latest yesterday.

HEY KIDS, (BUY MY) COMICS!! https://www.mythworldemedia.com/store

New book to read: : The Candid Autobiography of a Senior Intelligence Officer (1987) by Peter Wright.

Currently reading

The Way Some People Die by Ross Macdonald
    (orig. © 1951 / Vintage Crime/Black Lizard edition July 2007)

I finished reading an advance copy of the new Michael Connelly novel Dark Sacred Night, which I'll be reviewing for Mystery Scene magazine.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

the epic of Gilgamesh.

Short but interesting read. And really, it's something special when you realize that this story is almost 4000 years old.

There is literally no story more ancient than that available so far to read on earth lol. (so far, maybe one day there will be)

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Recently:

All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders

Chainbreaker by Tara Sim, book two of the Timekeeper series.

The Fifth Season by NK Jemisin, book one of the Broken Earth series, can't wait to read the rest, so good.

Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman

The Dangerous Art of Blending In by Angelo Surmelis

The Shadow and Bone Trilogy (Shadow and Bone, Siege and Storm, and Ruin and Rising) by Leigh Bardugo. She has a new novel set in the same world coming out in January that I'm really looking forward to.

Gnomon by Nick Harkaway
    Last edited by Dante Milton; 09-17-2018 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I finished reading an advance copy of the Peter Blauner thriller Sunrise Highway as well as Lorna Barrett's Poisoned Pages.
    Here's my review of Peter Blauner's Sunrise Highway.

Also, I reviewed Marcia Muller's The Breakers and R.J. Jagger's Shot of Love.
    Last edited by Deathstroke; 09-20-2018 at 04:22 AM.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Just started reading Radiant Angel (2015), the seventh John Corey book from Nelson DeMille.