Page 209 of 261 FirstFirst ... 109159199205206207208209210211212213219259 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,135 of 3909
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

New book: The Mediterranean Caper (1973), the second Dirk Pitt novel (but first to be released) by Clive Cussler.

A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

I just started Suttree, by Cormac McCarthy
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

New books I'm reading: The Complete Book of Baseball's Negro Leagues: The Other Half of Baseball History (2001) by John Holway...

... and on my Kindle as of tomorrow: The 9/11 Commission Report (2004)

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Sherlock & Dracula: Lifeblood by Kev Freeman

Seven years after the destruction of Dracula, Mina Harker calls upon Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson to investigate her fear that the bloodthirsty Count had returned.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Retired

As I posted some months ago, each Saturday I am reading one short story from the Ray Bradbury paperbacks I acquired back in the 1960s and 1970s. I'm doing the books in order of publication, so I finished THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES and THE ILLUSTRATED MAN and now I'm in the middle of THE GOLDEN APPLES OF THE SUN. I find this latest collection the most exciting thus far, because there's a lot more variety of story types than in the previous two anthologies. Today I re-read "The Sound of Thunder" which is the time travel story from which we get the "butterfly effect."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    As I posted some months ago, each Saturday I am reading one short story from the Ray Bradbury paperbacks I acquired back in the 1960s and 1970s. I'm doing the books in order of publication, so I finished THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES and THE ILLUSTRATED MAN and now I'm in the middle of THE GOLDEN APPLES OF THE SUN. I find this latest collection the most exciting thus far, because there's a lot more variety of story types than in the previous two anthologies. Today I re-read "The Sound of Thunder" which is the time travel story from which we get the "butterfly effect."
    Bradbury was the man. He could write any type of story and did just that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I just started Suttree, by Cormac McCarthy
    Good one, probably as close to autobiographical as he’ll ever get. Quite different from his other books, in that it has humour and kind of just rambles around. Hard to believe he followed it up with the colossus that is Blood Meridian.

I’m currently reading Dope by Sara Gran and a book on linear algebra which will be of interest to no one here. I recommend Gran’s Claire DeWitt novels.

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    Good one, probably as close to autobiographical as he’ll ever get. Quite different from his other books, in that it has humour and kind of just rambles around. Hard to believe he followed it up with the colossus that is Blood Meridian.

I’m currently reading Dope by Sara Gran and a book on linear algebra which will be of interest to no one here. I recommend Gran’s Claire DeWitt novels.
    Yes, a few pages in and I noted how different it's from the other books I've read from him so far (The Road, No Country for Old Men, All the Beautiful Horses and Blood Meridian). I'm enjoying it a lot.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Recently started reading

The Complete Casebook of Sgt. Brinkhaus by Frederick Nebel

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    Yes, a few pages in and I noted how different it's from the other books I've read from him so far (The Road, No Country for Old Men, All the Beautiful Horses and Blood Meridian). I'm enjoying it a lot.
    Another favourite by him is The Crossing, which follows All The Pretty Horses. Just devastating stuff. I remember reading Child Of God and afterwards feeling that I’d undergone a significant life event. Surely he is the greatest living American author.

Now reading The Assassin (2015(, the eight Isaac Bell novel by Clive Cussler with Justin Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    Another favourite by him is The Crossing, which follows All The Pretty Horses. Just devastating stuff. I remember reading Child Of God and afterwards feeling that I’d undergone a significant life event. Surely he is the greatest living American author.
    I plan to read all his books, but through the years. Some are really hard to find in my country. The best option is to order them through bookdepository, but it takes a lot of time in delivery because once they enter the country, the public mail office is tasked with deliverance and it's a horrible courier hahaha

I finished reading the James R. Benn mystery Blood Alone, the third book in the author's Billy Boyle World War II Mystery series.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

I recently finished The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman and I'm now reading All Quiet On The Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Retired

I think I posted awhile ago that my bedtime reading was 1001 TALES OF THE ARABIAN NIGHTS (or what you will). However, I put that away when it leapt forward a hundred stories, since I want to read every single 1001 night and that book only had chunks of nights. Then I tried to find a complete collection in the bookstores and came up empty. Finally, I opted to buy it from Amazon.ca--it's in three volumes, but they only had the first two volumes in hard copy (they have the third volume on Kindle). So I've resumed reading a night each night.

The drawback is the new book is a modern translation. The old book I had was the Sir Richard Burton translation--with illustrations. The modern translation makes no attempt to render the poetry in a poetical fashion--but Burton turns his hand at giving the poems rhyme and meter. And Sir Rich has ample footnotes, where he will compare versions of the stories and go off talking about his experiences.

In either translation, the tales can be quite graphic, which I find odd, because I thought these kinds of details wouldn't be allowed in an Islamic book. But Muslim countries can't all be lumped together as one homogeneous society, so I imagine some people frowned on this kind of book while in other places it was all good fun.