Page 231 of 261 FirstFirst ... 131181221227228229230231232233234235241 ... LastLast
Results 3,451 to 3,465 of 3913
    Mighty Member

Well I just found out that James Patterson apparently has the rights to Doc Savage now

https://smile.amazon.com/Perfect-Ass...9RWPZBJG&psc=1

I will skip it as it seems to be a disaster like the Shadow novel

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    Well I just found out that James Patterson apparently has the rights to Doc Savage now

https://smile.amazon.com/Perfect-Ass...9RWPZBJG&psc=1
    Well, since that link said "Prof. Brandt Savage—grandson of the legendary action hero", I'm not sure if that means Patterson owns the original Doc Savage (Clark Savage Jr.).
    Condé Nast had acquired Street & Smith (original publisher of Doc Savage) in the past; I believe they may still own the property and have the right to license it out.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Well, since that link said "Prof. Brandt Savage—grandson of the legendary action hero", I'm not sure if that means Patterson owns the original Doc Savage (Clark Savage Jr.).
    Condé Nast had acquired Street & Smith (original publisher of Doc Savage) in the past; I believe they may still own the property and have the right to license it out.
    Well the Wild Adventures of Doc Savage by Will Murray seems dead. I had thought he was out of ideas but this suggested another reason.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

New Kindle book: Whispering Smith (1906) by Frank H. Spearman.

A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Started reading

The Hoods Take Over by Ovid Demaris
    (orig. published 1957 by Gold Medal Books;
    © 1957 by Fawcett Publications, Inc. /
    published April 2019 by Stark House Press/Black Gat Books)

New books: On my Kindle today I read the short The Elements of Style (1918) by William Strunk Jr....

... and tomorrow I'll read Rimrock Trail (1922) by J. Allan Dunn.

On Sunday, I'll take on my hard-copy novel Live and Let Die (1954), the second James Bond offering by Ian Fleming.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    New books: On my Kindle today I read the short The Elements of Style (1918) by William Strunk Jr....

What?

Not the version with E.B. White contributing to it?

What?

Not the version with E.B. White contributing to it?
    I wasn't aware of it at all. I might pick it up in the future, though.

Retired

I wasn't aware of it at all. I might pick it up in the future, though.
    I picked this up oh about ten years ago, at the now defunct Duthie's Bookstore, for $11.95 Canadian (I wonder if they charged me tax). I was surprised to find it so cheap. It's a nice little book to have. I have a plethora of such reference books. Among them H.W. Fowler's DICTIONARY OF MODERN ENGLISH USAGE, the CHICAGO MANUAL OF STYLE--a large hardcover that I found for a reasonable price at a now defunct second-hand bookstore--THE LITTLE ENGLISH HANDBOOK FOR CANADIANS by Bell and Corbett.

These days, one of my reading projects is the encyclopedia. To be specific, FUNK & WAGNALLS STANDARD REFERENCE ENCYCLOPEDIA, circa 1964. Around the time I was starting school, my parents got the complete set of these. As I recall, they got them on an installment plan, so only a few volumes would arrive at a time. Those books saw me through all my school days. And I didn't just use them for school. I would often wonder about stuff and then go to FUNK & WAGNALLS and get lost in the cross references. I could spend hours like that. And through the years, when I visited my parents, I would check in on FUNK & WAGNALLS again.

I seem to have loved these books far more than my siblings, so when my parents passed away, it was agreed that I should have the set. Then last month I had the idea that I should start at the beginning and read the entire set, page by page, to the end. Just a few entries each day, so I have no idea when or if I will ever finish reading the entire set of 25 volumes.

But it interests me because I am gaining a perspective on all the world's knowledge at a certain point in time (the early 1960s) and from a certain place in the world (the United States of America). And it's fun, too, reading it in alphabetical order, as the subject matter always varies--going from aardwolf to Abbas to Abelard to abolitionists to abstract art to academic freedom to accounting to Acropolis to Adams to advertising.

Light of the Jedi by Charles Soule. It's set in the High Republic and its what I've been missing from Star Wars.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 09-03-2022 at 09:06 AM.

Started reading

The Complete Cases of the Arson Dick
    by Leslie T White
    (© 2019 Steeger Properties, LLC) <Dime Detective Library>

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I picked this up oh about ten years ago, at the now defunct Duthie's Bookstore, for $11.95 Canadian (I wonder if they charged me tax). I was surprised to find it so cheap. It's a nice little book to have. I have a plethora of such reference books. Among them H.W. Fowler's DICTIONARY OF MODERN ENGLISH USAGE, the CHICAGO MANUAL OF STYLE--a large hardcover that I found for a reasonable price at a now defunct second-hand bookstore--THE LITTLE ENGLISH HANDBOOK FOR CANADIANS by Bell and Corbett.

These days, one of my reading projects is the encyclopedia. To be specific, FUNK & WAGNALLS STANDARD REFERENCE ENCYCLOPEDIA, circa 1964. Around the time I was starting school, my parents got the complete set of these. As I recall, they got them on an installment plan, so only a few volumes would arrive at a time. Those books saw me through all my school days. And I didn't just use them for school. I would often wonder about stuff and then go to FUNK & WAGNALLS and get lost in the cross references. I could spend hours like that. And through the years, when I visited my parents, I would check in on FUNK & WAGNALLS again.

I seem to have loved these books far more than my siblings, so when my parents passed away, it was agreed that I should have the set. Then last month I had the idea that I should start at the beginning and read the entire set, page by page, to the end. Just a few entries each day, so I have no idea when or if I will ever finish reading the entire set of 25 volumes.

But it interests me because I am gaining a perspective on all the world's knowledge at a certain point in time (the early 1960s) and from a certain place in the world (the United States of America). And it's fun, too, reading it in alphabetical order, as the subject matter always varies--going from aardwolf to Abbas to Abelard to abolitionists to abstract art to academic freedom to accounting to Acropolis to Adams to advertising.
    Oh, I can remember doing the same exact thing years ago when I was a kid. In an age when the Internet wasn't a factor, encyclopedias were a great thing to own.

Oh, I can remember doing the same exact thing years ago when I was a kid. In an age when the Internet wasn't a factor, encyclopedias were a great thing to own.
    Back when I was . . . much younger . . . we had this really old set of encyclopedias from back in the early 1930s. (Not sure if we maybe got them from a book sale or if they came from my Grandmother's house.)
    I didn't use them for research myself, but the interesting thing was there was no entry for "World War I"; instead, it was called "The Great War".

Back when I was . . . much younger . . . we had this really old set of encyclopedias from back in the early 1930s. (Not sure if we maybe got them from a book sale or if they came from my Grandmother's house.)
    I didn't use them for research myself, but the interesting thing was there was no entry for "World War I"; instead, it was called "The Great War".
    We had two sets: the first was from 1960 (my father originally bought it for his sister for school when he was in the army) and the second was from the thirties (it was before my mother was born, so I don't know what the backstory is there - it also referenced the Great War). Both had sets of classic literature, too - even read some of them.

Author Peter Straub has passed away.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.