Page 35 of 262 FirstFirst ... 253132333435363738394585135 ... LastLast
    BANNED

"Veil" by Bob Woodward, on the CIA during the Reagan years. I was a kid when all of that was going on, and I've heard bits and pieces but didn't live it so I saw it at a used book store and figured "why not?" Interesting, but his style of writing was a bit off-putting (he interviewed everyone involved, often multiple times, but writes as if from their perspective which bumps me a bit as it's non-fiction).

A lot of interesting stuff though, for instance never knew there was a communist country in the Middle East (South Yemen), or that Russia's ties to Syria went back so far (especially interesting with what's going on there today), or that the Soviets and Cubans were so active in spreading their ideology not only across South and Central America but also throughout Africa. Also interesting/depressing how many names popped up that seemed familiar from the W. years.

Despite the style I'd highly recommend for those interested in history or politics, especially if you can nab it for $2.50 like I did.

Attachment 28211

I've always been a fan of the Ender's Game books but am only just now getting around to the spin off Shadow Saga series. I'm almost done with the third of them, and so far, they are good but nowhere near as cool and mind bending as the Ender's Game direct sequels.

Next on my reading list: Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon. I've been sitting on this book for a long time now, and its size and wild, unique writing style makes it feel like a lofty book to tackle, but I am finally ready to man up and climb this mountain. I've been pecking away at it for over a year now, and am only 1/5 deep, but now I am ready to go full tilt and barrel through it.
    Last edited by Ragdoll; 10-25-2015 at 04:04 PM.

Just finished Brandon Sanderson's new Mistborn novel, Shadows of Self(next one's coming out in January)

Started on Rick Riordan's new series, The Sword of Summer: Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, which as the title suggests delves into Norse mythology this time.

All-New Member

Just starting Robert A. Heinlein's "Stranger in a Strange Land". I liked his short story "The Roads Must Roll" from "The Science Fiction Hall of Fame" so I have high hopes.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Just finished Brandon Sanderson's new Mistborn novel, Shadows of Self(next one's coming out in January)

Started on Rick Riordan's new series, The Sword of Summer: Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, which as the title suggests delves into Norse mythology this time.
    Just finished Sword of Summer, the best Riordan book since House of hades.

Too Fat to Fish by Artie Lange

I just finished the 2nd Discworld book, Light Fantastic, by Terry Pratchett.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Too Fat to Fish by Artie Lange
    I miss that dude being on The Stern Show, his podcast just doesn't do the trick for me.

A World Undone: The Story of the Great War, 1914 to 1918 by G.J. Meyer
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Just finished Why are Faggots so Afraid of Faggots edited by Mattilda Bernstein Sycamore

It's an anthology about countering the mainstream narrative of gay rights, masculinity, nationalism, and the like. It was an interesting read, though the better essays came later on the book. I related more to Nobody Passes which was a previous anthology edited by the same person, but this did not disappoint.

Go Phillies

I'm reading Wiseguys, the book that Goodfellas was based on, for an English paper.

I finished reading the Daniel Silva thriller "The English Spy" today.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

I am reading both The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett (Really liking it so far) and Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (LOVING this one).

Reading The Aeronaut's Windlass, first book in the new series, The Cinder Spires

It's written by Jim Butcher, the author of the Dresden Files, and it's VERY good.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Wait For Signs - Craig Johnson. Twelve Walt Longmire short stories.

All-New Member

I use my Kindle app like no one else!

I mostly read Urban Fantasy. I was late to the party with Dresden Files and so far I've read about 4 this year. I'm currently on #8 Proven Guilty.
    I loved the Joe Ledger books, Predator One was the most recent Iron Druid Shattered was the last I read.
    Jeremy Robinson's books all good. Right now I'm on Chess Team Book #3 Threshold. I read Pulse and Instinct earlier this year and the Nemesis Series are what hip to his work in the first place I read Project 731 back in the Spring and I bought Project Hyperion but haven't read it yet.

Here's a list over the over books I've read this year:

Xom-B Jeremy Robinson
    Raising the Past Jeremy Robinson
    Beneath- JR

Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews

Dead Spot, Trail of the dead, Boundary Crossed and Trail of the Dead by Melissa F Oleson

Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison

Raven by Jeremy Bishop

Extinction Age and Currently reading Extinction Evolution by Nicholas Sansbury Smith
    Last edited by Starscream22; 11-06-2015 at 08:09 AM.