Page 214 of 261 FirstFirst ... 114164204210211212213214215216217218224 ... LastLast
Results 3,196 to 3,210 of 3912
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Kindle-wise later today, I'll start An Outline of the History of Christian Thought since Kant (1912) by Edward Caldwell Moore.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Amazing Member

-Uncanny X-force : Deathlok nation hardcover
    -X-men : Manifest destiny hardcover
    -The black widow : The coldest war Softcover

Next I should start my complete set of DC "Shadow of the bat".

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by vaindioux View Post
    -Uncanny X-force : Deathlok nation hardcover
    -X-men : Manifest destiny hardcover
    -The black widow : The coldest war Softcover

Next I should start my complete set of DC "Shadow of the bat".

Pat
    Isn't there a separate thread for graphic novel collections?

Galileo's Error by Philip Goff.

Spectacular Member

Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy

Quote Originally Posted by 950Killer View Post
    Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy
    One of my favorites book ever. I read it digital last year and I bought a physical copy to read it again in summer (in my country, so january-february)
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    One of my favorites book ever. I read it digital last year and I bought a physical copy to read it again in summer (in my country, so january-february)
    Tell me more as I read it years ago it just didn't go down well as almost surreal and overdrawn even though I like William Faulkner or even Henry James - thinking of reading it now, again as Western Myth making is a recent obsession.

the Judge just seemed like a joke and overall like someone out to trash westerns in general even though I had no great love of westerns at the time.

btw - Just got my copy of Burning Boy: The Life and Work of Stephen Crane by Paul Auster for a novelist's non novel sake. It is one of those sub genres that I enjoy like Out of Sheer Rage: Wrestling with D. H. by Geoff Dyer or The Banished Immortal: A Life of Li Bai (Li Po) by Ha Jin
    Last edited by Xheight; 11-18-2021 at 08:41 AM.

Started

Blood on the Curb A BLACK MASK Mystery
    by Joseph T. Shaw
    (original © 1936 / Published 2020 by Steeger Properties, LLC)

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Started

Blood on the Curb A BLACK MASK Mystery
    by Joseph T. Shaw
    (original © 1936 / Published 2020 by Steeger Properties, LLC)
    Are these reprints like those of Shadow years ago? meaning Reproductions as well as text.

Quote Originally Posted by Xheight View Post
    Are these reprints like those of Shadow years ago? meaning Reproductions as well as text.
    I think the text is redone for publication, though I can't swear to that.

I finished reading an advance copy of the John Gilstrap thriller Blue Fire today. I'm going to be doing a review of it for Mystery Scene magazine.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

New Kindle book: A Texas Cowboy: or, Fifteen Years on the Hurricane Deck of a Spanish Pony (1885) by Charles Siringo.

A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Xheight View Post
    Tell me more as I read it years ago it just didn't go down well as almost surreal and overdrawn even though I like William Faulkner or even Henry James - thinking of reading it now, again as Western Myth making is a recent obsession.

the Judge just seemed like a joke and overall like someone out to trash westerns in general even though I had no great love of westerns at the time.

btw - Just got my copy of Burning Boy: The Life and Work of Stephen Crane by Paul Auster for a novelist's non novel sake. It is one of those sub genres that I enjoy like Out of Sheer Rage: Wrestling with D. H. by Geoff Dyer or The Banished Immortal: A Life of Li Bai (Li Po) by Ha Jin
    I'm not sure that the Judge trashes westerns, but I'm not familiar with the genre in literature, just in movies (I'm a big fan though). I tend to love antagonists who have a particular vision on life and their role in it, and the Judge fits well in that category, alongside Anton Chigurh in No Country For Old Men.

The almost nihilistic path the characters follow across the novel resonated well with me, as it goes according to what these bounty hunters, which just went from one killing to the other as a way of earning a living, and always with the threat of death behind them, would have as a view of life: not expressed through words, like the Judge, but through the action of neverstopping manslaughter, going from one place to the other to keep on their work, without dreams of anything else (and, if they had a dream, it was shortlived).

I guess the novel can be read as out of focus or that the characters don't have a clear objective, but I think it fits with what I wrote before. The surreal aspect, carried by the Judge, also fits the other works I've read by Cormac McCarthy; not that they all have surreal elements, but a discussion about good and evil, and the idea of God and humanity
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    It's actually a re-read, Blood Meridian is one of my all time favorite novels and McCarthy is my all time favorite author (I also love No Country for Old Men, The Road & Child of God)

Started reading
    Boomerang Dice: The Complete BLACK MASK Cases of Johnny Hi Gear by Stewart Stirling
    (stories originally published in Black Mask magazine 1931-1933; collection © 2020 published by Black Mask / Steeger Books)