Page 192 of 261 FirstFirst ... 92142182188189190191192193194195196202242 ... LastLast
Results 2,866 to 2,880 of 3909
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I really like Gemmell's works, especially Drenai novels. I've always been tempted by his Troy books though, so would be interested to hear how you get on.
    Same here. Seconded. Anything of the above.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Latest books I'm reading: A Woman of No Importance: The Untold Story of the American Spy Who Helped Win World War II (2019) by Sonia Purnell.

Kindle-wise, it's The Quirt (1920) by the first great female writer of westerns B.M. Bower.

A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member

Animal Farm - Mindblown.

Newest e-book: Dead Souls (1842) by Nikolai Gogol.

I finished the Vicki Delany mystery A CURIOUS INCIDENT.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I finished the Vicki Delany mystery A CURIOUS INCIDENT.
    My Mom read that about a week ago. It's part of the Sherlock Holmes Bookshop series of mysteries.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    My Mom read that about a week ago. It's part of the Sherlock Holmes Bookshop series of mysteries.
    I know. I've read them all. In the author's most recent newsletter, she offered to send readers a signed bookplate and bookmarks, so I have those now as well.

And Vicki Delany retweeted my review with her thanks.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

BANNED

Well it was extremely eye opening to say the least I have not finished it yet.

It makes the West look kind of shitty to be honest.
    Last edited by RisingForce; 02-21-2021 at 03:41 AM.

BANNED

The author is obviously very liberal, this book is kind of good, it's quite huge and difficult to get through I have not finished reading it all yet but I decided to get as much books on the economy and job market that are relevant because I cannot decide on a career and everyone is like, trying to halfway kill me because i haven't decided on a damn career. Well, everyone is still trying to bust down my door virtually as I try to finish this, but I have so many things on the go. I bought a nice PC so I get record and write music better and more conveniently.

It kind of pisses me off, the author writes on like the early 2000s, touches on the economic crash of 2008 and then the early 2010s and you know, it was supposed to be really nice and more open minded or tolerant but what happened? everything changed and turned into this technocratic liberal/neoliberal dictatorship/tyranny in my opinion.

You are just supposed to go around like employment and the education system is some random pinball machine and take that as "reality" somehow, or that you know choosing careers and degrees is so straightforward, simple and a showing your ability levels, well, my abilities seem to be beyond the educational system then.

There's so many things I find interesting, and it's just you know, I don't even know, it's just this awful neo-liberal tyranny. You know, do yoga, drink chai-tea and talk about your mountain biking hobby and your degree and comfortable white collar job. I am not that old still, i wish everyone would back off.
    Last edited by RisingForce; 02-21-2021 at 03:51 AM.

Extraordinary Member

The People in The Trees - Hanya / I enjoyed it but the writing style was a little inaccessible.

Quote Originally Posted by RisingForce View Post
    The author is obviously very liberal, this book is kind of good, it's quite huge and difficult to get through I have not finished reading it all yet but I decided to get as much books on the economy and job market that are relevant because I cannot decide on a career and everyone is like, trying to halfway kill me because i haven't decided on a damn career. Well, everyone is still trying to bust down my door virtually as I try to finish this, but I have so many things on the go. I bought a nice PC so I get record and write music better and more conveniently.

It kind of pisses me off, the author writes on like the early 2000s, touches on the economic crash of 2008 and then the early 2010s and you know, it was supposed to be really nice and more open minded or tolerant but what happened? everything changed and turned into this technocratic liberal/neoliberal dictatorship/tyranny in my opinion.

You are just supposed to go around like employment and the education system is some random pinball machine and take that as "reality" somehow, or that you know choosing careers and degrees is so straightforward, simple and a showing your ability levels, well, my abilities seem to be beyond the educational system then.

There's so many things I find interesting, and it's just you know, I don't even know, it's just this awful neo-liberal tyranny. You know, do yoga, drink chai-tea and talk about your mountain biking hobby and your degree and comfortable white collar job. I am not that old still, i wish everyone would back off.
    I'm 28, a year off from graduating from my PhD, and I still honestly don't know what I'm doing. I feel you haha
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Cinnamon & Gunpowder by Eli Brown
    Attachment 106406
    An unfortunate chef is kidnapped by a pirate captain and is forced to cook her a meal every Sunday. If the meal is not up to snuff, he just might be thrown overboard or worse. Wedgwood's (the chef) struggle to cook the best dishes possible with what is available on a ship out at sea as well as his attempts to escape are really entertaining to read. Captain Hannah Mabbot is also a frightening delight.

BANNED

I'm 28, a year off from graduating from my PhD, and I still honestly don't know what I'm doing. I feel you haha
    Yes, but are they militantly hostile and antagonistic to you as a result?

Extraordinary Member

Good luck! What discipline?

New book: The Anti-Federalist Papers and the Constitutional Convention Debates (1986) - edited by Ralph Ketchum.