Page 260 of 261 FirstFirst ... 160210250256257258259260261 LastLast
Results 3,886 to 3,900 of 3913
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Started reading yesterday The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour: Vol. 6: Part 1 (2006).

A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Hamlet by William Shakespeare. His plays doesn't translate well to prose and are better off preformed.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-14-2024 at 02:04 AM.

New Kindle reads: the short stories Water Stuff (1919) by Charles Emmett Van Loan and A.V. Laider (1916) by Sir Max Beerbohm.

New book: A Feast For Crows (2005), the fourth novel from the series A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin.

On my Kindle, I'm reading the short story Back Tracks (1903) by Henry C. Rowland also the short-story collection Max Carrados (1914) by Ernest Bramah.

I'm reading a chapter a day of Stolen Focus by Johann Hari.

Screenshot_20240316_120448_Firefox.jpg

A review said it was life changing. I didn't believe that, but the chapters in, I'm inclined to agree. Everyone needs to read this.

Just one of the reasons:

"A world full of attention-deprived citizens alternating between Twitter and Snapchat will be a world of cascading crises where we can’t get a handle on any of them. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that this crisis in paying attention has taken place at the same time as the worst crisis of democracy since the 1930s. People who can’t focus will be more drawn to simplistic authoritarian solutions—and less likely to see clearly when they fail." - Stolen Focus by Johann Hari.
    No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit.
    - Helen Keller

First time us Western Godzilla fans get to experience this. Written by the screen writer of the first two films, they are very close to the final movies, but there are some major differences that make it clear at least the novelization of the first film was not based on the final draft.

I finished reading The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne the other day. We never covered Hawthorne in my highschool English classes so I thought I'd finally give him a shot. I guess it was a critique of colonial puritanism. I didn't get much out of it besides that. A predictable plot but some really nice writing. I think I'll check out Mosses from an Old Manse next as it was a big influence on Herman Melville.

New Kindle reads: the short story Jordan Knapp, Trader (1903) by Henry C. Rowland and the religious treatise Abandonment to Divine Providence (1861) by Jean Pierre de Caussade.

Thoroughly enjoyed reading The Wager: A Tale of Shipwreck, Mutiny and Murder recently. David Grann is one of my favorite non-fiction authors working today. The research he did was awesome and his prose extremely readable.

New Kindle reads: the short story In the China Sea (1903) by Henry C. Rowland and the short story/novella collection Abbé Aubain And Mosaics (1903) by Prosper Mérimée.

For first time in months read a few fiction books…the Washington Poe series by M W Craven. (“The Puppet Show”, “Black Summer”, “The Curator”, “The Dead Ground” and “The Botanist”.)

It’s about an English homicide detective involved in multiple murder cases. I’d rate all the books except the Curator as very good, and even the Curator (for me spoilt by an outlandish number of unlikely events, without the narrative drive to make me overlook this) was very readable.

The Ransom Trilogy, aka Space Trilogy, by CS Lewis - Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra and That Hideous Strength. The first two books are a breeze but That Hideous Strength has eluded me until now, I was never able to finish it in previous attempts. But this time I am determined to finish it and its so far so good, more than halfway through.

Next up I am finally going to finish up the last book in the Stephen Donaldson Covenant series by reading The Last Dark.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

The Path of Deceit by Tessa Gratton and Justina Ireland.

Set during the High Republic era, an era set 350 years before the events of the Star Wars films. This era was a time of exploration for the Republic as they seek to explore the outer rim of the galaxy. The Jedi seek to uncover why force artifacts are going missing. The main suspects are the Path of the Open hand- a Cult that believes the force should be free but use underhanded ways to enforce that. It's a slow burn game of cat and mouse between the Jedi and the Path.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-31-2024 at 07:33 PM.

New Kindle reads: the short story The Crowing Hens of Totulu (1916) by J. Allan Dunn and the biography Abel Janszoon Tasman: His Life and Voyages (1895) by James Backhouse Walker.

New books: The Forest House (1992), the second installment from the Avalon series by Marion Zimmer Bradley (with Diana L. Paxon)...

...while on the Kindle front, it's the short story Get Your Man (1916) by Buck Connor and the novel Abel's Revenge (2018) by Ross Greenwood...