Page 197 of 260 FirstFirst ... 97147187193194195196197198199200201207247 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,955 of 3898

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Jane Eyre is currently in my active 'to be read' pile. Have you read any other Bronte? Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte) is one of my favourite novels.
    This is my first book by a Brontë sister, but I do have Wuthering Heights in my own "to be read" pile
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I read those two, plus To Have and Have Not and all of his short stories, but I think I like The Old Man and the Sea the best.
    The Old Man and the Sea was pretty good. But I like the epicness of A Farewell to Arms and the Sun Also Rises.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I hated reading Hemingway when I had to in a high school English class. However, when I read one of his books in a college English course, it was much more enjoyable. Go figure.

Also visited Hemingway's house in Key Largo, Florida when I was down that way on vacation back in October of 1989. (I was driving at night down through the Florida Keys when the California earthquake struck just before Game Three of the World Series was to be played at Candlestick Park, and I was having a hell of a time trying to get news in English on the rental car's radio. What few stations that did come through without too much static seemed to be in Spanish.)
    Oh, I got into Hemingway in the same manner. I read his work AFTER I graduated from school and was a little bit older and more mature. I think that is the best time to read his novels actually. Funny, that you visited Hemingway's home in Florida thirty years ago. If I ever get there, it would be like my Graceland!

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Oh, I got into Hemingway in the same manner. I read his work AFTER I graduated from school and was a little bit older and more mature. I think that is the best time to read his novels actually.
    I'm not sure if it was because I was "older" when I read him in college (since that would have only been maybe +/-four years later) or just the small daily chunks they dissect it into for high school English classes are not conducive to really appreciate the books. I found very few books I read (or faked reading) in high school English to be enjoyable, yet some of those same books would become much more worthwhile reads later in life when I read them on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    Funny, that you visited Hemingway's home in Florida thirty years ago. If I ever get there, it would be like my Graceland!
    Visited Graceland, too, back in the late 90's when a friend and I took a road trip from NJ (where she lives) to Tennessee and visited both Nashville and Memphis.

I finished reading the Tom Threadgill thriller Collision of Lies.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Jane Eyre is currently in my active 'to be read' pile. Have you read any other Bronte? Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte) is one of my favourite novels.
    The only Bronte I have read is by the forgotten sister Anne: Agnes Grey.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I'm not sure if it was because I was "older" when I read him in college (since that would have only been maybe +/-four years later) or just the small daily chunks they dissect it into for high school English classes are not conducive to really appreciate the books. I found very few books I read (or faked reading) in high school English to be enjoyable, yet some of those same books would become much more worthwhile reads later in life when I read them on my own.

Visited Graceland, too, back in the late 90's when a friend and I took a road trip from NJ (where she lives) to Tennessee and visited both Nashville and Memphis.
    Yeah, I'm just like you. I didn't enjoy reading books forced upon me in high school. And I faked reading books especially if they had movie adaptations. Or just relied on CliffNotes. I find that if you WANT to watch documentaries and/or read books, you will enjoy them more. As opposed to being compelled to do so. I'd like to see Graceland one day. Sounds like such a fun place especially if you enjoy rock and roll. But I'd like to visit Nashville because I love country music!

New Kindle reads: the short story The Vampire (1871) by Jan Neruda and the novel Give the Boys a Great Big Hand (1960) - the latter being the eleventh 87th Precinct book by Ed McBain.

The Beast of Nightfall Lodge by S.A. Sidor. I quite liked the first in Sidor's pulp horror adventure series. This sequel is shaping up to be just as good if not better.

On the Kindle front, it's the short story The Demon Spell (1894) by Hume Nisbet and then The Saint and Mr. Teal (1933) - the latter being the ninth Simon Templar novel by Leslie Charteris.

Recently revisited Lovecraft territory and reread The Colour Out of Space, The Whisperer in the Darkness, The Dunwich Horror, and At the Mountains of Madness.
    Last edited by Jack Dracula; 04-11-2021 at 06:56 PM.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Recently revisited Lovecraft territory and reread The Colour Out of Space, The Whisperer in the Darkness, The Dunwich Horror, and The Mountains of Madness.
    Lovecraft's Winged Death is pretty funny. Is there more like it?

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Lovecraft's Winged Death is pretty funny. Is there more like it?
    You can find his written work at the link. Enjoy.

https://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/fiction/
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Now reading Reversible Error (1992), the fourth novel from the Butch Karp-Marlene Ciampi series by Robert K. Tanenbaum.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Standing in Another Man´s Grave by Ian Rankin