Page 33 of 261 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383133 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Starting on Clive Barker's Scarlet Gospels and finishing up the book of Esther, where the Bible thread unintentionally sent me.

Barker's always interesting, and plays on my kind of sentimentality well, but I know the novel was severely cut down from where it'd been in manuscript form, and I hope nothing beautiful was lost.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I haven't been reading much lately. Haven't really had the time with all that's been going on IRL but it looks like things are slowing down a bit now. Anyone have any suggestions for a decent crime/mystery novel to read or maybe a Sci-Fi title?
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

I finished the Hank Phillippi Ryan thriller Truth Be Told.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I haven't been reading much lately. Haven't really had the time with all that's been going on IRL but it looks like things are slowing down a bit now. Anyone have any suggestions for a decent crime/mystery novel to read or maybe a Sci-Fi title?
    Thriller novel recommendation: I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes. It is out in paperback and it is the best book I've read in at least 20 years. I wrote a review of the book last year when it came out in hardcover. You can check it out HERE to see if it might be something you want to read.

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    Thriller novel recommendation: I Am Pilgrim by Terry Hayes. It is out in paperback and it is the best book I've read in at least 20 years. I wrote a review of the book last year when it came out in hardcover. You can check it out HERE to see if it might be something you want to read.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds like it might be right up my alley.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    This sounds like a great book. I'm going to get this. Thanks for the suggestion
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

I'm glad you both will check it out. I hope you end up liking it.

I am 1/3 into Joe Hill's NOS4A2. I loved Locke & Key but his novels are not the same level of quality. Between this, Heart Shaped Box, and his short story collection, his style is severely lacking. He should stick to comics where all he writes is the dialogue and the artist sets the scene. The way he describes things makes him feel like the hackiest writer of all time sometimes.

I also read The Girl On The Train after seeing it hailed everywhere as the new Gone Girl. It wasn't that good, but it was pretty decent for a murder mystery where everyone is insane. The main character was a drunk lady, which made for good hijinks. And everyone she meets is somehow more screwed up in the heads than the last.
    Last edited by Ragdoll; 10-10-2015 at 04:10 PM.

1984 by George Orwell: Amazing novel with some of the best plot twists EVER.
    Animal Farm by George Orwell: Better to be read with a class.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley: It's ok but VERY disappointing.
    Great Expectations by Charles Dickens: Best Dickens book I have read thus far (I am still reading this though)

I finished reading the Vince Flynn / Kyle Mills thriller The Survivor a while back, but my review of the book just went online. You can check that out HERE.

Go Phillies

Quote Originally Posted by MegaManChiefFan View Post
    1984 by George Orwell: Amazing novel with some of the best plot twists EVER.
    Animal Farm by George Orwell: Better to be read with a class.
    Brave New World by Aldous Huxley: It's ok but VERY disappointing.
    Great Expectations by Charles Dickens: Best Dickens book I have read thus far (I am still reading this though)
    Ugh... 1984 is one of my least favorite books of all time

I'm currently reading David Eddings's Belgariad. Right now I'm on Queen of Sorcery.
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MegaManChiefFan View Post
    I'm inclined to agree. Great Expectations really crackles.

Quote Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post
    I'm currently reading David Eddings's Belgariad. Right now I'm on Queen of Sorcery.
    I like the fat standalone novels they did in that world more than the series of books. The series, much of the Eddingses' series work, seems too in love with formula to me. Very ever-band-of-four-is-the-Beatles stuff. Abstractly, that's very interesting, but I've never had a satisfactory reread of any of them. The wit doesn't stick with me. Glad for that first read, though, always.
    Last edited by t hedge coke; 10-11-2015 at 03:03 PM.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Clive Barker's Books Of Blood
    Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space. This one was extremely good, and I've already started reading the sequel, Chasm City. If the series maintains the high quality of the first book, this could be a new favorite sci-fi franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Omar 382 View Post
    Ugh... 1984 is one of my least favorite books of all time
    Whether or not someone loves or hates 1984 tells a lot about their personality.

Go Phillies

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    Clive Barker's Books Of Blood
    Alastair Reynolds' Revelation Space. This one was extremely good, and I've already started reading the sequel, Chasm City. If the series maintains the high quality of the first book, this could be a new favorite sci-fi franchise.

Whether or not someone loves or hates 1984 tells a lot about their personality.
    Um... ok ?