Page 211 of 261 FirstFirst ... 111161201207208209210211212213214215221 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,165 of 3911

Currently reading:

Appomattox: Victory, Defeat, Freedom at the End of the Civil War by Elizabeth Varon
    Three Cornered War: The Union, The Confederacy, and Native Peoples in the Fight for the West by Kate Nelson
    Second Founding: How the Civil War and Reconstruction Remade the Constitution by Eric Foner
    The Coming of The Third Reich by Richard J. Evans

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

New books: Dragon Keeper (2010), the first installment in the Rain Wilds trilogy by Robin Hobb.

... and on my Kindle, What's Bred in the Bone (1891) by Grant Allen.

A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    New books: Dragon Keeper (2010), the first installment in the Rain Wilds trilogy by Robin Hobb.

... and on my Kindle, What's Bred in the Bone (1891) by Grant Allen.

Robin Hobb is one of my favourite authors.

A great many of her books are inter-linked…I have sometimes wonder if she has carried it too far, whether she should start a new fantasy series in a completely fresh setting.

The Shinning, by Stephen King
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

I finished Evil For Evil, the fourth book in James R. Benn's Billy Boyle World War II mystery series, yesterday.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

I'm listening to the Audible production of the Sandman, and honestly it's fantastic

I finished the Eva Gates mystery Deadly Ever After.

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Robin Hobb is one of my favourite authors.

A great many of her books are inter-linked…I have sometimes wonder if she has carried it too far, whether she should start a new fantasy series in a completely fresh setting.
    I lover her work, too. IMO, she's a cut and above the average writer in her field.

As for your concern, I haven't got to that point yet (this is my tenth novel from her), but I may feel the same way down the road. Hopefully not.

New books I'm reading: My American Journey (1995) by Colin Powell with Joseph E. Persico...

... and on my Kindle, Winnetou, the Apache Knight (1898) by Karl May and Marion Ames Taggart.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I finished the Eva Gates mystery Deadly Ever After.
    My Mom's been following that series.
    Looks like goodreads.com lists the next book in that series, Death By Beach Read, as due out June of 2022.

I'm enjoying Jack Vance for the first time, and listening to how many speculative fiction greats were inspired by his work.

Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I lover her work, too. IMO, she's a cut and above the average writer in her field.

As for your concern, I haven't got to that point yet (this is my tenth novel from her), but I may feel the same way down the road. Hopefully not.
    It’s not that the quality drops at any point…the last two books I read of hers were tremendous reads.

It’s just that I wonder if anybody reading just her latest series would be able to fully enjoy without reading four or five earlier series…and she might therefore finding herself writing for a smaller audience.

For the last couple of years I’ve found myself reading less and less, and watching more and more old films and tv series.

Decided to dip my toe in the world of books again and was looking for short punchy detective novels. Tried some of Vaseem Khan’s Baby Ganesh series….a series featuring an Indian detective set in Mumbai.

It’s got some whimsical elements (a baby elephant accompanies him on some adventures)…but for all that it conjures up a convincing picture of Mumbai, has very endearing characters and is fast paced fun.

I think it’s a really good series. And anyone liking it ought to try Tarquin Hall’s Vish Puri mysteries…which I think are even better.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    It’s not that the quality drops at any point…the last two books I read of hers were tremendous reads.

It’s just that I wonder if anybody reading just her latest series would be able to fully enjoy without reading four or five earlier series…and she might therefore finding herself writing for a smaller audience.
    I follow you now. Well, I have come into a couple of other series late written by other authors, which prompted me to start them from the beginning. Yes, many won't do that, but I guess enough will do it. At any rate, with Robin Hobb, they should.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    My Mom's been following that series.
    Looks like goodreads.com lists the next book in that series, Death By Beach Read, as due out June of 2022.
    I'll be getting it when it comes out.

Meanwhile, I'm going to be having dinner with one of my favorite authors next week.