Page 193 of 261 FirstFirst ... 93143183189190191192193194195196197203243 ... LastLast
Results 2,881 to 2,895 of 3909

Quote Originally Posted by RisingForce View Post
    Yes, but are they militantly hostile and antagonistic to you as a result?
    No, not quite

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Good luck! What discipline?
    Thank you!

Precision medicine/cancer immunology.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Also, I often find that people over hyper authors. I'm currently reading The Shining for the first time and every time that I read a SK novel, all I can think is that this guy is easily in my top five. Admittedly I've only read Pet Sematary, Carrie and Salem's Lot (plus half of The Shining), so maybe I've just been reading his better books?

IT and Cujo up next I think.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Also, I often find that people over hyper authors. I'm currently reading The Shining for the first time and every time that I read a SK novel, all I can think is that this guy is easily in my top five. Admittedly I've only read Pet Sematary, Carrie and Salem's Lot (plus half of The Shining), so maybe I've just been reading his better books?

IT and Cujo up next I think.
    Just a friendly suggestion.
    You might want to pass on IT for the time being and read The Stand. By the time you finish IT you may be tired of his writing and it would be a shame for you to miss out on one of his best books. I mean, he basically created a new genre with it.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

I just reread Robert Jordan's Eye of the World in anticipation of the Amazon Prime show coming.....this fall I think.
    Dark does not mean deep.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    Just a friendly suggestion.
    You might want to pass on IT for the time being and read The Stand. By the time you finish IT you may be tired of his writing and it would be a shame for you to miss out on one of his best books. I mean, he basically created a new genre with it.
    I loved both books, but The Stand is the only novel of its size I ever read in one sitting.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Thanks for the suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I really like Gemmell's works, especially Drenai novels. I've always been tempted by his Troy books though, so would be interested to hear how you get on.
    His Troy trilogy is the only one of Gemmell's works I've read, though I own Legend so I intend to correct this one day, but I really enjoy this series (it's actually a re-read for me since I first read them about 8-10 years ago as a teen). I give it a pretty high recommendation as someone who enjoys seeing a good redo on the Trojan War mythos.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    His Troy trilogy is the only one of Gemmell's works I've read, though I own Legend so I intend to correct this one day, but I really enjoy this series (it's actually a re-read for me since I first read them about 8-10 years ago as a teen). I give it a pretty high recommendation as someone who enjoys seeing a good redo on the Trojan War mythos.
    I always enjoyed the mythos too, so it is definitely on my list.

Regarding Drenai, I think they all good and personally I would read them in publication order, but Waylander is my favourite by far. That book was one of my entries into fantasy reading and although there is probably some level of rose tinted glasses as a result, I do think that it is exceptional. If you're into adaptations, I have graphic novel adaptations of Legend and Wolf in the Shadows. The former is pretty good but I haven't read the latter yet as I still need to read those books.

My Mystery Scene magazine review of the James Grippando thriller Twenty HERE!
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

New Kindle book: Cow Country (1921) by B.M. Bower.

A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter (1940) by Carson McCullers

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I really like practically all his fantasy novels.

I’d place Legend as mid-table in my own league table of Gemmell books...but much better than most fantasy from other writers.

I was going to recount one reason why it’s a real favourite for many fans...but then realised it would effectively be a spoiler.

Chadwick Boseman is the first Black posthumous Golden Globe winner

https://tv.avclub.com/chadwick-bosem...n-g-1846377687

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Chadwick Boseman is the first Black posthumous Golden Globe winner

https://tv.avclub.com/chadwick-bosem...n-g-1846377687
    I didn't click on the link but . . . huh?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I didn't click on the link but . . . huh?
    Yeah, he won for a book?

Wrong thread maybe??
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium