Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

Cool What did you lose your comic book virginity to?

Just wanted to know. Thought it would be fun to see why people like comic books and why they started reading them.

Sooooo Shoot Away!!!!

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

How is this defined? Like the first speech bubble I read, the first title, etc?

Incredible Member

Geez, kind of a weird question. I guess I lost my virginity to Sgt. Rock at age 6.

Incredible Member

Ultimate Spider-Man. Found volume 2 at Walmart, thinking it was some encyclopedia thing, fell in love. And still reading it! Can't wait for Miles' new book to start.

I had to be about eight or nine when I read a Power Pack/Spider-Man comic that dealt with molestation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wighty03 View Post
    Just wanted to know. Thought it would be fun to see why people like comic books and why they started reading them.

Sooooo Shoot Away!!!!

Can't remember for sure, Probably an early FF or Amazing Fantasy 15. (Yes off the spinner rack)

That's difficult to pin-point exactly. My grandparents owned a 7-11 during the comic boom, so I was reading everything that I could off the magazine rack. If I'm not mistaken, I distinctly remember an issue of Wolverine that Spider-Man guest-starred in as well as Wendigo, with them hunting a child-murderer that ended up being a police officer. It's ends with a pretty epic silhouette of the guy being gutted after running through the woods. I should do research into which issue that was. I was probably around 5 when it came out, and the cover had fallen off, so that's why I have only vague story recollections.

Even more so, the Death of Superman and Knightfall events sucked me in as well. I also had sporadic issues of Robin, which were probably my favorite, since I was young and projected myself onto Tim. I never really wanted to be Batman. I always wanted to work along side him, so that was the perfect kid fantasy.

All this was perpetuated by the barrage of comic-based TV reruns and new shows that I obsessively watched: The Reeve Superman films, Wonder Woman, Incredible Hulk, Adam West Batman, Superboy, The Flash, Lois and Clark etc. But the pinnacle of the life-long love of the genre was probably cemented with the first Burton Batman film, which came out when I was 3. I surprisingly didn't get into the cartoons of the time (Spider-Man, X-Men and Batman TAS) until later in life, as I preferred live action. Didn't matter how cheesy it may have looked. It was all so engrossing for my young mind.

It was in the back of a Ford Windstar, ABBA playing on the radio, a line of sweat above my brow...I was a boy, then...

When my dad handed me an old copy of Alpha Flight, and my life was forever changed.

Most likely Star Wars #1 in 1977. I was a big Star Wars fan as a kid and had all the action figures.
    I remember reading the first issue and a few others but I don't think I separated the experience to understand comics were a thing all their own.

I also remember reading my brothers comics, which included issues of Batman, JLA, New Teen Titans, Detective Comics, Superman Family, Batman Family, World's Finest, Green Lantern, Defenders and Archie.
    And quite a few DC Digests.

The first comics that I remember actually owning that got me into reading monthly, though, were Doctor Strange #53, Fantastic Four #243 and Contest of Champions #1.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Defenders: Indefensible
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

In my grandparents attic around 1975 or so and the book was a battered copy of Batman #156 "Robin Dies at Dawn" I had liberated from a box I wasn't supposed to get into. I was five. I suppose if I were to be a bit more accurate though it was probably more like in my grandparent's living room and it was the strips in the Sunday paper: Peanuts or Prince Valiant around 1973ish.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 09-29-2015 at 07:55 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

The earliest comic I remember was Batman #250 cover dated July 1973 Which would have put it out sometime around May of that year-I was 3 and a pre-schooler-but could read. I probably read some Gold Key stuff based on Saturday morning cartoons before that Batman comic that friends of my parents provided on Sunday nights at the bowling alley when they bowled in the leagues and reading the Sunday funnies was a regular Sunday morning activity with me and my father. SO Sunday funnies and Saturday morning cartoons were my gateway into comics at that age.

-M

Like every British person above a certain age, The Beano!

BANNED

1970s Avengers-Defenders war.