Page 1 of 260 123451151101 ... LastLast

Default Books: What have you been reading?

Since the Books forum is gone, I thought I'd restart this thread, albeit with a slightly less in-jokey name.

I've been reading Christopher Moore's Serpent of Venice, a sequel to Fool. It's a riff on Othello and Merchant of Venice, featuring a disreputable court jester commenting on and meddling in the action. It's fun, but a little overstuffed. Fool was just based on King Lear (the lead character in both books is Lear's Fool), but Serpent tries to pack in too much. There's even an extended Poe sequence. It's far from essential, but for a Moore fan or a Shakespeare buff, it's worth a look.

Anyone else read any good prose, lately?

Reading "Little America", a book about the afghanistan war. It's pretty interesting so far. The author did the book "Imperial life in the Emerald City" as well, which was also good.

War: What is it Good For? by Ian Morris and His Ownself: A Semi-Memoir by Dan Jenkins are the two books I'm currently reading.

Last book I read was How the West Won: The Neglected Story of the Triumph of Modernity by Rodney Stark.

Re-reading the Sandman series. Got a sub for the current lot... but felt like a refresh.

I just recently finished re-reading Joan Didion's The White Album, Ralph Ellison's "Battle Royal," and essays by George Orwell, John D'Agata, Theodor Adorno, and E.J. Levy about the essay as a literary form. These were all things I was teaching. My summer reading list-- to start next week!-- includes the collected short stories of Flannery O'Connor and Joan Didion's nonfiction work from the 80s and 90.

BANNED

Its been ages since I've read an actual book (one without pictures). I really need to make time for it again some day.

I've been reading The Great Book of Ignorance, or a title to such effect, based on the QI TV show hosted by Stephen Fry - lots of myths, stories, etc explained and what-not.
    Some of it is absolutely fascinating reading and destroyed some of the ideas I had stuck in my head.
    "Let me guess. My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie!"
    @Matt_of_Geek
    Now writing at The Atomic Junk Shop

CBR Community Standards and Rules

I'm on 2 books: one is Het goddelijke monster ('The Divine Monster') by Belgian author Tom Lanoye, while the other is VSV by Dutch writer Leon de Winter, which is a piece of speculative -though realistic- fiction.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

My finals are almost complete, so I'm about to start Brent Weeks' Night Angel trilogy. A coworker, one who's opinion I would normally discount, heartily recommended it. I pray it's not terrible.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

I just read "Don't tell my Parents I'm a supervillian". Hilarious and very well told.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

I've read a bunch of books so far this year.
    Syrup and Company from Max Berry
    Panic by Lauren Oliver
    Everyday by David Levithan
    Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan
    Me Since You by Laura Weiss
    Red Rising by Pierce Brown
    Half Bad by Sally Green
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth
    The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult
    Missing You by Harlan Coban
    the Strain by Chuck Hogan and Guillermo Del Toro

Currently reading the Fall (sequal to the strain)

BANNED

What I've been reading all year can be found in the ongoing thread that...oh, never mind.

I finished the first Mistborn trilogy and liked it(though found the ending just bittersweet as all Hell). Rereading, or listening to rather, the first book again which imo was the best of the series.

I'm in between books right now but the last thing I read was a Star Trek Enterprise novel.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

All-New Member

Just finished Justin Cronin's The Passage and am about to move onto the 2nd book in the trilogy - The Twelve.

Don't see how Ridley Scott could do this justice with the film rights he optioned, but I'm very much enjoying the novels so far.
    ---
    Phil - comic-book-geek