Page 200 of 260 FirstFirst ... 100150190196197198199200201202203204210250 ... LastLast
Results 2,986 to 3,000 of 3898
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    You know the series was continued by Kyle Mills, who was hired by the estate and the publisher, right? Mills has done an amazing job not only keeping the series alive but making the series his own as well. I got to meet him on his book tour a couple books back.
    I recall you talking about meeting him a while back. Eventually, I will check those books out, too.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Nothin' But a Good Time: The Uncensored History of the '80s Hard Rock Explosion by Tom Beaujour and Richard Bienstock
    Watching television is not an activity.

Latest Kindle novel: The Brand of Silence (1919) by Harrington Strong (aka Johnston McCulley) .

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Latest Kindle novel: The Brand of Silence (1919) by Harrington Strong (aka Johnston McCulley) .

Man, I thought that cover looked familiar, and then I figured out why:

Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammett
    Same cover design as the print edition of Red Harvest published by Random House.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Man, I thought that cover looked familiar, and then I figured out why:

Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammett
    Same cover design as the print edition of Red Harvest published by Random House.
    Heh. I had a feeling you would respond to my post based on your love for detective fiction, Major, but didn't know what for. Your response wasn't what I was expecting, but still interesting nonetheless.

Finally got around to 'Jane Eyre'. I'm only 1/4 the way in, but I can't believe I've slept on this for so long...
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Just finished reading

Heat by Ed McBain

BANNED

I just finished THE OVERSTORY by Richard Powers. Really cool book.

Just started reading on my Kindle the short-story collection The King in Yellow (1895) by Robert W. Chambers.

I finished reading an advance copy of the upcoming new Country Store mystery NO GRATER CRIME by Maddie Day. I loved it and my review of the book can be seen via this Goodreads.com link.

Attachment 109530
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I finished reading an advance copy of the upcoming new Country Store mystery NO GRATER CRIME by Maddie Day. I loved it and my review of the book can be seen via this Goodreads.com link.

Attachment 109530
    So, I guess it wasn't a book you could shred?

Newest books I'm reading: Daniel Webster: The Man and His Times (1997) by Robert Remini...

... and on my Kindle, The Mystery of the Barranca (1913) by Herman Whitaker.

Amazing Member

Finished reading the Library of America's complete novels of Dashiell Hammett. Overall, I think I respect Hammett more than I actually enjoy them, but I did enjoy The Maltese Falcon and The Thin Man quite a bit. (I did skip The Glass Key)

I've started the LOA's first volume dedicated to Raymond Chandler (covering a handful of his short stories and the novels The Big Sleep, Farwell, My Lovely, and The High Window). I am now about halfway through The Big Sleep and Chandler's voice and style are something to behold. I find myself re-reading certain paragraphs because they are so well written.

"Over the entrance doors, which would have let in a troop of Indian elephants, there was a broad stained-glass panel showing a knight in dark armor rescuing a lady who was tied to a tree and didn't have any clothes on but some very long and convenient hair. The knight had pushed the vizor of his helmet back to be sociable, and he was fiddling with the knots on the ropes that tied the lady to the tree and not getting anywhere. I stood there and thought that if I lived in the house, I would sooner or later have to climb up there and help him. He didn't seem to be really trying."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GemSaloon007 View Post
    Finished reading the Library of America's complete novels of Dashiell Hammett. Overall, I think I respect Hammett more than I actually enjoy them, but I did enjoy The Maltese Falcon and The Thin Man quite a bit. (I did skip The Glass Key)

I've started the LOA's first volume dedicated to Raymond Chandler (covering a handful of his short stories and the novels The Big Sleep, Farwell, My Lovely, and The High Window). I am now about halfway through The Big Sleep and Chandler's voice and style are something to behold. I find myself re-reading certain paragraphs because they are so well written.

"Over the entrance doors, which would have let in a troop of Indian elephants, there was a broad stained-glass panel showing a knight in dark armor rescuing a lady who was tied to a tree and didn't have any clothes on but some very long and convenient hair. The knight had pushed the vizor of his helmet back to be sociable, and he was fiddling with the knots on the ropes that tied the lady to the tree and not getting anywhere. I stood there and thought that if I lived in the house, I would sooner or later have to climb up there and help him. He didn't seem to be really trying."
    Dashiell Hammett is amazing. The novel of The Thin Man is much better and darker than the movie, and I love the final lines of that book.

I finished reading the Eva Gates mystery novel A Death Long Overdue.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.