Page 109 of 262 FirstFirst ... 95999105106107108109110111112113119159209 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,635 of 3919
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    The name drew me in.

Currently reading A Gentleman in Moscow, Amor Towles.
    Nothing by Edmund Burke?
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Taking a break from the Malazan series after book 5 to get back into Discworld(quite the change in tone), reading Equal Rites a the moment

Les Sentiers des Astres (a French-written even if I think the author is Belgian) series of fantasy novel set in an Hindou-like settings. it's really a great change of pace from the more usual medieval Europeans settings without being too high fantasy for my taste.

Mystery Scene magazine has published my review of the D.B. John thriller Star of the North.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    Mystery Scene magazine has published my review of the D.B. John thriller Star of the North.
    *encouraging nod*

I've reading through the Kyralian books as I haven't read the 'The Black Magician' trilogy for about a decade, plus I've never read the sequel trilogy. I'm also throwing in Canavan's Voice of the Gods trilogy too, which I've never read.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

The Bachman Books: Rage by Stephen King

I just finished The Magician's Apprentice. It's a long time since I read any Black Magician books, but I've never read the sequel series or this prequel. Honestly, it wasn't terrible, albeit a bit predictable. Certainly nothing original, although it was an enjoyable read nonetheless. The only real bone to pick is the story about Stara which was ongoing during the book - what was even the point of this? Apart from one unnecessary scene at the end, which could have used any other character anyway, Stara and her entire story had absolutely nothing to do with the plot of the book. Literally, it was entirely pointless and I'm confused why it was included...
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Newest book I'm reading: The Plantagenets: The Warrior Kings and Queens Who Made England (2012) by Dan Jones.

Also tomorrow on my Kindle, I'll take on The Books of Blood: Volume 5 (1985) by Clive Barker.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Les Sentiers des Astres (a French-written even if I think the author is Belgian) series of fantasy novel set in an Hindou-like settings. it's really a great change of pace from the more usual medieval Europeans settings without being too high fantasy for my taste.
    That sounds interesting. There doesn't happen to be an English translation of it by chance? I'm always looking for fantasy books that aren't in the medieval settings.

I'm currently reading through Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot mysteries. I had been on a serious non-fiction and poetry kick in recent months but thought it was time to go back to reading fiction again.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 07-08-2018 at 09:35 PM. Reason: JT428 is hating auto correct. We hates it forever.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

BANNED

Richelieu and the French Monarchy by C. V. Wedgwood

I finished the Sheila Connolly County Cork mystery 'Buried In A Bog' yesterday.

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Recently read a 2012 reprint (by Sanctum Books) of the story "The Shadow of Wall Street" that was originally published in Fame and Fortune Magazine (Feb. 1929)

(this was the original cover of that issue)

Now I'm reading

THE PHANTOM DETECTIVE Double Novel #1:
    "The Emperor of Death" and "The Crime of Fu Kee Wong"
    (both stories originally from issues with cover-dates of 1933)

BANNED

The King in the Golden Mask (1892) by Marcel Schwob

Melding the fantastic with historical fiction, these stories describe moments of unexplained violence both historical and imaginary, often blending the two through Schwob’s collaging of primary source documents into fiction. Brimming with murder, suicide, royal leprosy and medieval witchcraft, Schwob’s stories portray clergymen furtively attending medieval sabbaths, Protestant galley slaves laboring under the persecution of Louis XIV and dice-tumbling sons of Florentine noblemen wandering Europe at the height of the 1374 plague.

You can read my review of the Greg F. Gifune thriller Dangerous Boys via this Mystery Scene magazine link.