Page 11 of 138 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 2069
  1. #151
    Mighty Member Custodes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babylon23 View Post

    Then it's on to Isaac Asimov's The Gods Themselves.
    Probably Asimovs' greatest sci-fi book. Not an easy read. Be alert ....drink your coffee. Brilliant.

    Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    Apprently I need feats for the rumbles League, So I get to read the entire Chronicles of Amber by Wednesday.
    Such a good series. So much fun.

    Just finished- Lovecraft's New York Circle, The KALEM Club, 1924-1927. Good read. Essays and letters and poems by some interesting folks in the early 20th century.

  2. #152
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Old School
    Posts
    3,066

    Default

    Donna Tartt The Goldfinch

  3. #153
    Ultimate Member t hedge coke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Weihai
    Posts
    7,635

    Default

    Rereading William Burroughs' Nova Express while I grade finals. Wonderfully big short novel that's brutal, super funny, upsetting, and terminally sweet by turns. Lost its Nebula to the publication of Dune, and named for a bit in a Legion of Superheroes comic.

    Quote Originally Posted by Custodes View Post
    Probably Asimovs' greatest sci-fi book. Not an easy read. Be alert ....drink your coffee. Brilliant.
    The Gods Themselves is grand stuff. Funny, slick, and he kind of gets all his favorite approaches together in a strongly unified way, combining his love of extrapolation, humor, witty poetry, and elevating his audience into, as you say, "not an easy read," but always an inviting read.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

  4. #154
    Scoundrel Don C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    O-H!
    Posts
    1,551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
    I look forward to you reaction to Changes.
    I already know how that one ends. I saw Jim Butcher at a convention and someone spoiled the ending to a room full of people who mostly hadn't read the book yet. Haven't seen that many people booing since I went and saw the Tribe take on the Yankees.

    Quote Originally Posted by Motown Rage View Post
    About to start Dawn of the Jedi Into the Void
    Terrible, terrible novel. Read Kenobi or Honor Among Thieves instead.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

  5. #155
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    I already know how that one ends. I saw Jim Butcher at a convention and someone spoiled the ending to a room full of people who mostly hadn't read the book yet. Haven't seen that many people booing since I went and saw the Tribe take on the Yankees.
    That person must have talked for a long time to spoil everything. The name of the book is “Changes”. Plural.

    Of course even if you go into it knowing most of the status quo shakeups – I did it to myself by visiting TV Tropes – there is a lot to be said for the journey.

  6. #156
    Scoundrel Don C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    O-H!
    Posts
    1,551

    Default

    Well, the guy said spoilers:
    Harry dies.
    end of spoilers Even Butcher was like, "Seriously? You're bringing that up? The book isn't that old."
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

  7. #157

    Default

    Teen vampire books seen to attract a near-middle age man like me. I liked Vamps by Nancy Collins and Vamped by Lucienne Diver. And maybe even these alternatives to Twilight.

  8. #158
    Spectacular Member Haydn C's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    East Midlands, UK
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Just starting Drakenfeld by Mark Charon Newton. A few chapters in and enjoying it.

  9. #159
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    Well, the guy said spoilers:
    Harry dies.
    end of spoilers Even Butcher was like, "Seriously? You're bringing that up? The book isn't that old."
    Let me put it this way..that thing the guy said..that is actually such a small part of what happens at the end of Changes. Okay granted the very end of the book ends with that, but overall that isn't really the important part, as weird as it sounds. It's mostly all the crap that happens *before* that. Though you still have a ways to go, I just finished the 15th book in the series(skin game).

  10. #160
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,150

    Default

    I can't read now because I just found out today I need glasses.

  11. #161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    I already know how that one ends. I saw Jim Butcher at a convention and someone spoiled the ending to a room full of people who mostly hadn't read the book yet. Haven't seen that many people booing since I went and saw the Tribe take on the Yankees.



    Terrible, terrible novel. Read Kenobi or Honor Among Thieves instead.
    Honor among thieves is the han solo's eleven one right? I about pissed my self laughing at the one scene at the end of the book?

  12. #162
    Extraordinary Member Deathstroke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,409

    Default

    I finished reading the C. J. Box novel Breaking Point and it was another fantastic entry into his Joe Pickett series.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

    Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review


    "I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

  13. #163
    Scoundrel Don C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    O-H!
    Posts
    1,551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    Honor among thieves is the han solo's eleven one right? I about pissed my self laughing at the one scene at the end of the book?
    No, that was Scoundrels. Honor Among Thieves is a new-ish book set between Star Wars and Empire. Han and Chewie get more than they bargained for when they're sent to retrieve a Rebel spy trapped behind enemy lines. I thought it was very good. One of the best SW novels in recent times.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

  14. #164
    Scoundrel Don C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    O-H!
    Posts
    1,551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    Let me put it this way..that thing the guy said..that is actually such a small part of what happens at the end of Changes. Okay granted the very end of the book ends with that, but overall that isn't really the important part, as weird as it sounds. It's mostly all the crap that happens *before* that. Though you still have a ways to go, I just finished the 15th book in the series(skin game).

    Damn. Now I'm really looking forward to getting there.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

  15. #165
    Swinging on a Star a. non's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    203

    Default

    Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson, book one of Malazan Book of the Fallen. It's interesting so far, but it's a bit dense in detail

    At the same time, Star Wars: Scoundrels by Tim Zahn
    Vote Goat 2020
    "Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." --Jeffrey W Kramer

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •