Page 11 of 261 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Rereading William Burroughs' Nova Express while I grade finals. Wonderfully big short novel that's brutal, super funny, upsetting, and terminally sweet by turns. Lost its Nebula to the publication of Dune, and named for a bit in a Legion of Superheroes comic.

Quote Originally Posted by Custodes View Post
    Probably Asimovs' greatest sci-fi book. Not an easy read. Be alert ....drink your coffee. Brilliant.
    The Gods Themselves is grand stuff. Funny, slick, and he kind of gets all his favorite approaches together in a strongly unified way, combining his love of extrapolation, humor, witty poetry, and elevating his audience into, as you say, "not an easy read," but always an inviting read.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
    I look forward to you reaction to Changes.
    I already know how that one ends. I saw Jim Butcher at a convention and someone spoiled the ending to a room full of people who mostly hadn't read the book yet. Haven't seen that many people booing since I went and saw the Tribe take on the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Rage View Post
    About to start Dawn of the Jedi Into the Void
    Terrible, terrible novel. Read Kenobi or Honor Among Thieves instead.
    Hope is not lost today. It is found.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    I already know how that one ends. I saw Jim Butcher at a convention and someone spoiled the ending to a room full of people who mostly hadn't read the book yet. Haven't seen that many people booing since I went and saw the Tribe take on the Yankees.
    That person must have talked for a long time to spoil everything. The name of the book is “Changes”. Plural.

Of course even if you go into it knowing most of the status quo shakeups – I did it to myself by visiting TV Tropes – there is a lot to be said for the journey.

Well, the guy said spoilers:
    Harry dies.
    end of spoilers Even Butcher was like, "Seriously? You're bringing that up? The book isn't that old."

Spectacular Member Carmen_Rider's Avatar

Teen vampire books seen to attract a near-middle age man like me. I liked Vamps by Nancy Collins and Vamped by Lucienne Diver. And maybe even these alternatives to Twilight.

Just starting Drakenfeld by Mark Charon Newton. A few chapters in and enjoying it.

BANNED

Well, the guy said spoilers:
    Harry dies.
    end of spoilers Even Butcher was like, "Seriously? You're bringing that up? The book isn't that old."
    Let me put it this way..that thing the guy said..that is actually such a small part of what happens at the end of Changes. Okay granted the very end of the book ends with that, but overall that isn't really the important part, as weird as it sounds. It's mostly all the crap that happens *before* that. Though you still have a ways to go, I just finished the 15th book in the series(skin game).

BANNED

I can't read now because I just found out today I need glasses.

Terrible, terrible novel. Read Kenobi or Honor Among Thieves instead.
    Honor among thieves is the han solo's eleven one right? I about pissed my self laughing at the one scene at the end of the book?

I finished reading the C. J. Box novel Breaking Point and it was another fantastic entry into his Joe Pickett series.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    Honor among thieves is the han solo's eleven one right? I about pissed my self laughing at the one scene at the end of the book?
    No, that was Scoundrels. Honor Among Thieves is a new-ish book set between Star Wars and Empire. Han and Chewie get more than they bargained for when they're sent to retrieve a Rebel spy trapped behind enemy lines. I thought it was very good. One of the best SW novels in recent times.

Quote Originally Posted by Surtur View Post
    Let me put it this way..that thing the guy said..that is actually such a small part of what happens at the end of Changes. Okay granted the very end of the book ends with that, but overall that isn't really the important part, as weird as it sounds. It's mostly all the crap that happens *before* that. Though you still have a ways to go, I just finished the 15th book in the series(skin game).

Damn. Now I'm really looking forward to getting there.

Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson, book one of Malazan Book of the Fallen. It's interesting so far, but it's a bit dense in detail

At the same time, Star Wars: Scoundrels by Tim Zahn
    Vote Goat 2020
    "Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." --Jeffrey W Kramer

Fantastic Member

Damn. Now I'm really looking forward to getting there.
    Yep, I just started Skin Game and all I can say without spoilers is that the cast is still dealing with the consequences of the decisions Harry made in Changes.

Edit: Still in the middle of Skin Game. The reintroduction of spoilers:
    Maggie
    end of spoilers is adorable and heartbreaking. Also really worried that the new spoilers:
    Winter Knight
    end of spoilers is burning too many bridges with old allies.
    Last edited by Beacon; 06-11-2014 at 08:35 PM.

Just finished Austin Gary's the Queerling. It states on the cover its a novel but it reads like a memoir of a young man involuntarily commited to a mental health facility. 95% of the book is from him with the occasional notation from his doctor. It is remarkably funny and tragicly sad (especially if you suffer from mental illness. The back cover describes it as the catcher in the rye meets the tin drum. I've never read either but I have read shutter island and seen fight club and i'd say it is similar to both. It's got a great cover (white with a bloody? Hand print) i imagine any attempt at turning this book into a mmp would fail misserably but I'd like to see them try. But then again I say that about most books I read.

18 books so far this year.
    Last edited by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus; 06-11-2014 at 09:06 PM.