Page 12 of 261 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast

About to start in Thomas Verbogt's Kleur van geluk ('colour of happiness'), which is our currently assigned book for the book club I joined. Haven't read a single page of it, but just got it from the library and will start later on today.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Spectacular Member

I have been reading 'From Russia With Love' by Ian Fleming.

I finished reading Marvel Comics: The Untold Story by Sean Howe, and I'm currently reading Nina Here Nor There by Nick Krieger. Both amazing books.

I just started Mike Carey's latest, The Girl With All The Gifts.

I'm actually reading Varney the Vampire right now. For those of you who don't know it, it was a pre-Dracula vampire story that was published in prenny dreadfuls. There's a total of 220 chapters. Right now I'm a bit over half way through.

It's interesting, but it's also really obvious that he was making it up as he went along and was being paid by the word.

Also one of the characters completely disappears from the story after about 20 chapters. He's briefly mentioned once about ten chapters later and never returns again, which is really odd because he's one of the main family members that's supposed to be living with them.

I am plodding my way through Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. It fascinating and interesting, but also really dense and kind of slow.

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Research again. Lots of Russian based stuff.

In and around that, I'm rereading my books on Dario Argento's films; may have to finally pick up the Thomas Quincy source material for Suspiria and Inferno.
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Fantastic Member

Just finished Skin Game. I’m going to keep things vague for the sake of the new guy but…wow. After the increasingly dark tone the series especially over the course of the last few books, it was nice to see the heroes win one even though it cost some of them quite a bit. Also kind of surprised they went in that direction with the Knights of the Cross. Really hope Bob is kept far away from the new cast member; no good can come from them meeting.

Also read the Secret Life of Walter Mitty.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Just finished rereading...

At the Earth's Core

by Edgar Rice Burroughs

Probably my favorite Edgar Rice Burroughs story this book features some of Burroughs' finest world building and wastes no time getting right into the action. After a brief prologue where the narrator reveals that this story was told to him by a man he encountered while on safari in Africa, we are drilling into the Earth's crust with the main character David Innes and Perry the scientist responsible for inventing the spectacular machine. Thinking themselves about to die when the steering wheel becomes locked in place they instead emerge in a new world. One inside the Earth where a bright ball of gas in the sky creates a perpetual noon and prehistoric humans are enslaved by a race of evolved pterodactyl like reptiles. Their adventure is genuinely fun and exciting and the vivid world and creatures that Burroughs' creates are both a wondrous and terrifying. There's even an epic battle after David and Perry manage to unite the kingdoms of Pellucidar against the Mahars. The ending will likely have you wanting to read the other six novels in the Pellucidar saga. I would love to see this book adapted into another film.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

I finished the Faye Kellerman novel "The Beast."
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Super Boys, about the creation of Superman and the two men who developed him first, Siegel and Shuster.

It's a bit too narrativized, in that "let me set the scene for you" way, but it's - so far - quite a good book. Very fair-seeming, very informative, and lively.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

2312 by Kim Stanley Robinson. Lots of fantasic wordbuilding, but an almost non existent plot so far.

Finished Jim Butcher's Skin Game, excellent as always.

Trying to finish this collection of Dennis Wheatley novels-three in one book. I finished "The Devil Rides Out" and am working on "To the Devil a Daughter." I forget what the last one is and don't have it in front of me. Good stuff. I knew of the Hammer film versions but hadn't seen them. He apparently spent a long time researching black magic/occult stuff of the time and it shows.
    My mom thinks I'm cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Rozen View Post
    I finished reading Marvel Comics: The Untold Story by Sean Howe, and I'm currently reading Nina Here Nor There by Nick Krieger. Both amazing books.
    Really enjoyed the Sean Howe book myself. Being more of a casual comics reader it was very educational.

Just starting The Black Company by Glen Cook.