Page 13 of 261 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Just finished John Green's Paper Towns. It's a great book with an epic quest ala I love You Beth Cooper or Jay Asher's 13 Reasons Why.

19 books.
    Last edited by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus; 06-29-2014 at 05:58 PM.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Rereading some Robert Howard short stories. High Horse Rampage and No Cowherds Wanted are some of the funniest, loudest western stories in history. Just hilarious, sharp stuff.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Janet Evanovich's Takedown Twenty
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    Just finished John Green's Paper Towns. It's a great book with an epic quest ala I love You Beth Cooper or Jay Asher's 13 Reasons Why.

19 books.
    Just finished Will Grayson, Will Grayson.

Here is one of my favorite passages

"i thinkthe ideaof a 'mental health day' is something completely invented by people who have no clue what it's like to have bad mental health. the idea that your mind can be aired out in twenty-four hours is kind of like saying heart disease can be cured if you eat the right breakfast cereal. mental health days on exsist for people who have the luxury of saying 'i don't want to deal with things tpday' and then can take the whole day off, while the rest of us arestuck fighting the fights we always fight, with no one really caring one way or another, unless we choose to bring a gun to school or ruin the morning announcements with a suicide.

20 books

This probably outs me as a huge dork, but beyond a million comics each month, I'm reading the first Veronica Mars novel, The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line. Even though I was a huge fan of the show, I was a little dubious. Turns out I needn't have worried! It's actually pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by tacobongo View Post
    This probably outs me as a huge dork, but beyond a million comics each month, I'm reading the first Veronica Mars novel, The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line. Even though I was a huge fan of the show, I was a little dubious. Turns out I needn't have worried! It's actually pretty good!
    I need to pick that up. Anyone heard of the alabaster series by Caitlin R Kiernan?

All-New Member

Finally started reading King's dr Sleep

Finished The song of Achilles by Madeline Miller.
    The focus of the story is the relationship between Patroclus and Achilles. I'm not a huge fan of female authors writing about guys love stories (too much Yaoi I presume) but this one was really good. Well, we have one heterosexual sex scene, that's the only bad taste bit on the book.
    Even as I knew how it will end, I was sad when it happened.

Recently a collection of columns by my new favourite Belgian author Tom Lanoye... Other than that a novel about a hooker with a heart of gold, entitled Lily, and written by Dutch author Marian Donner.

Skin game, a harry dresden book by jim butcher. Absolutely love this series for its humor, action, and story telling.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Going on vacation soon bringing along: Lexicon by Max Barry, Big Egos by SG Browne, The Serpent of Venice by Christopher Moore, and The Hobbit. Looking forward to upcoming releases from Nick Harkaway and Haruki Murakami.

I'm reading Narnia for the first time, in publication order. I'm currently on The Silver Chair. I think it was The Magicians by Lev Grossman that finally spurred me to read this series. Voyage of the Dawn Treader is my favorite so far. I love the metaphysical stuff.

Also working on 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami, which will take me a while. I've read three of his other books, so I know I'm in for a mind-bending treat.

I think fans of Neil Gaiman and C.S. Lewis would really enjoy Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones.

Amazing Member

Just finishing the surprisingly funny and namedroppy Autobiography of morrissey.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Complete history nut so..

The Rise & Fall of Ancient Egypt (3000BC - Cleopatra) by Toby Wilkinson
    Last edited by WillieMorgan; 08-10-2014 at 04:47 PM.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Pebble In The Sky
    by Isaac Asimov

Considered part of the Galactic Empire series which I have not read more of. Literally between footsteps Joseph Schwartz, a retired suburban tailor from Chicago finds himself thrown tens of thousands of years into the future. Asimov very effectively uses the fish-out-of-water trope to introduce the reader to a future where Earth is mostly radioactive, the galaxy is ruled by an Empire and Earthmen are looked down upon by the rest of the galaxy. He also introduces us to a rich cast of characters and makes some interesting comments on xenophobia. This also marks one of the occasions where he references Trantor outside of the the Foundation series.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison