Page 14 of 261 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464114 ... LastLast

I read Rachel Bach's Fortune's Pawn and its two sequels. The plot convolutions get a little draggy towards the end, but it's a nice balance of military science fiction action and space opera romance.

Extraordinary Member

I've just started Gone Girl, looking forward. I'm hoping to read the Zodiac soon.

Recently finished:

The D.A. Draws a Circle by Erle Stanley Gardner
    Crisscross by F. Paul Wilson

In progress:

Hell to Pay by George Pelecanos
    Shallow Graves by Jeremiah Healy
    “E” Is for Evidence by Sue Grafton

Gave up on the mist born series. I have gone through three renewals on the first book alone it is an interesting concept just a lot of filler. At least in my opinion. I am in need of something new to read.

Fantastic Member

Since last posting I’ve reading a lot of nonfiction of varying qualities and genre including…

The Disappearing Spoon: And Other True Tales of Madness, Love, and the History of the World from the Periodic Table of the Elements by Sam Kean

Dirty Daddy: The Chronicles of a Family Man Turned Filthy Comedian by Bob Saget

The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are by Brené Brown

If This Isn't Nice, What Is?: Advice for the Young by Kurt Vonnegut

This Will Make You Smarter: New Scientific Concepts to Improve Your Thinking edited by John Brockman

March: Book One by John Robert Lewis and Nate Powell

The Art of Procrastination: A Guide to Effective Dawdling, Lollygagging and Postponing by John R.Perry

People Buy You: The Real Secret to What Matters Most in Business by Jeb Blount

The Introvert Advantage: How to Thrive in an Extrovert World by Marti Olsen Laney

Rewire Your Brain: Think Your Way to a Better Life by John B. Arden

Currently reading…

Marvel Comics: The Untold Story by Sean Howe. Man, I’m about halfway into this and it really paints a negative picture of Marvel in general and Stan Lee in particular. While I know the comics history in particular has a well-known history of screwing over creative talent and a lot of Lee’s collaborators grew to dislike him, the book’s various inaccuracies on other things (like describing the Mary Jane character as “raven haired”) make me question the writer’s ability as a fact checker; that’s kind of a requirement if you’re writing a book largely based around various biased personal accounts.

I am currently reading Clive Barkers' Next Testament. This is a fantastic horror story about a man who finds "god". Strongly recommend it!

Spectacular Member Carmen_Rider's Avatar

I just finished Blessed by Cynthia Letich Smith. It's teensy vampire stuff (while I'm a guy age 38), but I enjoyed it.

I finished the Michael Connelly novel The Gods of Guilt, the latest in his Mickey Haller series. It was a decent enough read but it took me a while to really get into it.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
    Marvel Comics: The Untold Story by Sean Howe. Man, I’m about halfway into this and it really paints a negative picture of Marvel in general and Stan Lee in particular. While I know the comics history in particular has a well-known history of screwing over creative talent and a lot of Lee’s collaborators grew to dislike him, the book’s various inaccuracies on other things (like describing the Mary Jane character as “raven haired”) make me question the writer’s ability as a fact checker; that’s kind of a requirement if you’re writing a book largely based around various biased personal accounts.
    Just finished the bit about the Jim Shooter years. The part where the movie company buys them because one of the executives believes they’re buying Superman is hilarious, if true.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by steverogers View Post
    Same here, although lately I have been reading 'Dr No' by Ian Fleming off and on...
    I've just finished 'Dr No' and now I'm onto 'Goldfinger'

Fantastic Member

Finished Marvel Comics: The Untold Story. The treatment of the stuff I remember in the 90s (especially the inaccuracies) and the general glossing over of the newer stuff continue to make me question the writer’s accounts but it’s still an interesting read. The “where are they now?” bit was incredibly depressing.

Also read Bryan Lee O’Malley’s Seconds. Bread jokes aside, it’s more “Lost at Sea” than “Scott Pilgrim” but still a good read.

After leaving a quick in-and-out post previously, I realized most include a brief summery or opinion; so I’ll go back and pick up my earlier post with this update.

Recently finished:

The D.A. Draws a Circle by Erle Stanley Gardner
    My first reaction? Usual Gardner crap. So I decided to take a step back. Gardner, originally a pulp writer, was a master at setting up a problem or complication, and keeping the pressure on for a resolution. And once everything was revealed, it explained all the obstacles and mysteries. His major fault was deductions pulled out of thin air. I went into this one already knowing the answers and there was still not enough evidence infer the solution. So, usual Gardner crap.

Crisscross by F. Paul Wilson
    The next in the string of novels that chronicle Repairman Jack’s adventures between his first appearance in The Tomb and his last in Nightworld, the final act of The Adversary Cycle. I can recommend any book in series (but in order is best). Wilson is great at setting up early what he will need at the conclusion. It reads seamlessly.

Hell to Pay by George Pelecanos
    There’s a Stephen King quote on the cover of the next Pelecanos books I plan to read: “Perhaps the greatest living American crime writer.” I’m only two books in but I tend to agree. I was so impressed with A Firing Offense that I picked up this one though it is out of order in this series. Doesn’t matter. So far I can’t get enough.

Shallow Graves by Jeremiah Healy
    Healy has always been an entertaining read. There’s nothing great here but I have yet to encounter anything bad in the John Francis Cuddy books. I’m okay with that.

In progress:

Kings of Many Castles by Brian Freemantle
    “E” Is for Evidence by Sue Grafton
    Last edited by Calamas; 08-10-2014 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Dropped letter

Currently reading In the Arena by Charlton Heston. A lot of interesting stories about early Hollywood and what it was like to work with Demille and Wyler.

BANNED

Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke.

it left me with lots of questions but no answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Moriarty View Post
    Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke.

it left me with lots of questions but no answers.
    Never read that, but City and Stars is one of my favourite books. CS Lewis sci-fi has the same magical feel too.