Page 145 of 261 FirstFirst ... 4595135141142143144145146147148149155195245 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,175 of 3909

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Great original novels. Dracula is told in an odd way, though, mostly through letters and newspaper articles.
    I like the epistolary style both novels have, though Dracula compromises more with it, at least so far, since I haven't finished it yet. Frankenstein, though always with the excuse that what we are reading is a letter/diary that will be sent or shown afterwards, redacting the unfortune of the poor Victor Frankenstein, is much closer to a regular way of narrating a novel from a protagonist's point of view for most part of it. This isn't saying that one book is better than the other, I really liked Frankenstein and I've been having a blast with Dracula, though I've also dedicated my time to catching up with some Spider-Man stories, so I can't give a strong opinion about the book yet
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

BANNED

The Letters of J.R. Ackerley (1975) by J.R. Ackerley

Giving this one a try
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Started reading:

Find a Victim by Ross Macdonald
    <A Lew Archer Novel>
    (first published in 1954; 2001 Vintage Crime / Black Lizard)

Mighty Member

Just finished reading Never Grow Up by Jackie Chan. Not bad, but I preferred his earlier autobiography : I am Jackie Chan.

While I'm here - what are some books you wish someone would make? I would love to see a history of Urban Fiction. How far back does the genre go? What are some of the craziest stories and covers in the genre? Why is it so sexed-up?

and YOUR dream book?

an alien on planet earth [rono]'s Avatar

Reading Elektra: Assassin again.
    Used to be my favorite.

Attachment 86097
    Last edited by [rono]; 08-23-2019 at 01:55 PM.
    Together we can move mountains
    rono.info

Just finished a book that a Thai colleague in my lab gave me before I went on my holiday, a really interesting read

Attachment 86121
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Starting tomorrow, my latest Kindle read will be Alias the Saint (1931), the fifth Simon Templar book from that series by Leslie Charteris.

My next non-Kindle book beginning Monday will be Desolation Island (1978), the fifth novel in the Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian.

A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Starting tomorrow, my latest Kindle read will be Alias the Saint (1931), the fifth Simon Templar book from that series by Leslie Charteris.

My next non-Kindle book beginning Monday will be Desolation Island (1978), the fifth novel in the Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian.

Cool. I just watched a few episodes of the Roger Moore series of the Saint from 1967.

I finished the Jack Carr thriller True Believer tonight.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Cool. I just watched a few episodes of the Roger Moore series of the Saint from 1967.
    I love the show myself. I can recall watching reruns of The Saint with my father fifty years ago before I was in kindergarten.

The books, at least the earlier ones, have a more ruthless Simon Templar than shown on the TV program. He has no qualms about killing a bad guy if need be. The Saint also has his own gang and even a steady girlfriend!

Actually read, and I mean read not listened to, 3 books in the last week. I was on vacation in remote parts of Canada without internet access so I had to resort to books on my kindle app.

Wanted Man by Robert Crais - the latest in Crais's Elvis Cole / Joe Pike series. Series about a private investigator.

Miriam Loses Her **** - John Locke - yes this is the actual title. Its book 14 in Locke's Donovan Creed series. These books are very absurd and tongue in cheek at times, see the title, but they are usually entertaining quick reads. Donovan Creed is a hitman with a heart of bronze who sees himself as the good guy even though he's a sociopath who kills without compunction.

Pears and Peril - Drew Hayes. Not completely finished with this yet.

BANNED

The Price of Salt (1952) by Patricia Highsmith

The Marble Faun (1859) by Nathaniel Hawthorne

I've read many Stephen King books but never finished this one. I plan on having it done before I see the second part of the movie. (never watched the made for TV movie either)
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post

I've read many Stephen King books but never finished this one. I plan on having it done before I see the second part of the movie. (never watched the made for TV movie either)
    It's my second-favorite of King's epic novels (The Stand being my favorite). I believe I read it exactly 30 years ago, FWIW. Great homage to the old-style horror icons I grew up watching on TV when I was a kid, too.