Page 16 of 261 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819202666116 ... LastLast

I finished reading the C.J. Box novel Three Weeks To Say Goodbye.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by quinnzel View Post
    I've been reading Game of Thrones for a while, but I'm a really slow reader, and then with school starting back up, I haven't been able to keep up with it.

I'm also reading a thrilling textbook on Constitutional Law and Politics...
    I think it took me 2 weeks to read the game of thrones series. But I wasn't working at the time.

Star Wars: A New Dawn, Consider Phlebas, and ASOIF: A Feast for Crows.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Remember being a young kid in school and getting excited by the scholastic series? I remember wanting to read the Boxcar Children, but never getting a chance to.

Quote Originally Posted by danmar85 View Post
    Remember being a young kid in school and getting excited by the scholastic series? I remember wanting to read the Boxcar Children, but never getting a chance to.
    dude the box car children were my best friends. I read all of the original books. stopped reading after Benny Uncovers A Mystery. once the series was relaunched in 1991 it wasn't the same

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    dude the box car children were my best friends. I read all of the original books. stopped reading after Benny Uncovers A Mystery. once the series was relaunched in 1991 it wasn't the same
    What comes to mind for me is Goosebumps and a few of the early Animorphs lol. Not to get off-topic in a book thread, but the original Goosebumps tv series was great.

Quote Originally Posted by danmar85 View Post
    I remember those. They were all right, but the Hardy Boys were my real jam.

Goosebumps, I got over in about three months. The formula was very evident, and I eventually found myself just skipping to the end to find out what the obligatory twist was.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Just finished re-reading...

Babel-17
    by Samuel R. Delany

Delany makes some interesting commentary on language and how it effects the way people think and act while telling an epic outer space adventure featuring a colorful full cast of characters, espionage and plenty of action. The Earth Alliance is fighting an interstellar war with the Invaders who have developed a communications weapon called Babel-17 that is responsible for multiple deadly attacks against the Alliance. Rydra Wong a starship captain, famous poet and telepath is recruited to decipher what they thought was a code but she discovers is actually a language. When her ship is sabotaged one of her crew is suspected of being an Invader spy. After witnessing an assassination her ship is again sabotaged. Her crew is saved by a privateer whose lieutenant, a man known as The Butcher may be the key to understanding Babel-17.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

I bought an old book about Mars the other day.

But I'm saving up for two reading experiences I want to enjoy next month as they come out in the middle of October. They're both wrestling based, and they are The Death of WCW: Tenth Anniversary Edition & Chris Jericho's The Best in the World At What I Have No Idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    I remember those. They were all right, but the Hardy Boys were my real jam.

Goosebumps, I got over in about three months. The formula was very evident, and I eventually found myself just skipping to the end to find out what the obligatory twist was.
    I still have the first hundred casefiles

Mighty Member

Just picked up the Mageworld novels by Debra Doyle and James MacDonald from a used-book store a while back and they are as amusing as I recall. Yes, they do start off as Star Wars with the serial numbers filed off*, but twists do start creeping in and it remains a nice read. I'm debating starting a tvtropes page on it....

As someone else put it:
    (Think not-Leia marries not-Han, not-Leia is assassinated and not-Han gives the not-Millennium Falcon to their daughter to find the assassin as a kickoff point. Their older son was fostered with not-Chewy on not-Kasshykk, and their younger son is training with not-Luke on not-Tatooine.)

Spectacular Member

I'm still reading 'The Last Wish' by Andrzej Sapkowski. It is a fantasy book. I know that there exists a video game but I have never played it.
    And also I'm reading a novel 'The Stranger' from Albert Camus.

BANNED

Chalk me up to another person getting on the A Song of Fire and Ice train thus far it's very enjoyable. Dense with characters and content with savvy yet accessible prose.

I think I'm just going to go on a fantasy binge after this and finally get around to Tolkien.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Just started today:

The Wolf by Lorenzo Carcaterra
    Organized crime declares war on international terrorism. Bad guys versus badder guys, and it's been plenty intriguing so far.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 09-20-2014 at 06:54 PM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

About a 3rd of the way through Redshirts by John Scalzi

Pretty decent so far. Cant tell yet if it is going to be really good or really silly by the end