Page 173 of 261 FirstFirst ... 73123163169170171172173174175176177183223 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,595 of 3912

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    Journey to the End of the Night, by Louis-Ferdinand Céline. Had this one in the "to read" list from quite a while and today I decided to finally start reading it
    Keep in mind he was a vocal anti-seminte and pro-fascist, so when you reach the end of the night you can tell Celine to stay there and not come back.

Quote Originally Posted by maninthemacintosh1606 View Post
    Keep in mind he was a vocal anti-seminte and pro-fascist, so when you reach the end of the night you can tell Celine to stay there and not come back.
    I’m aware of his anti-semite thoughts, so I’m reading the novel with that in mind, and it illuminates some of the ideas presented in it. I tend to do a quick research before trying a book of someone I haven’t read before
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

I finished reading the J.A. Konrath mystery/thriller BLOODY MARY today at lunchtime.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I’m aware of his anti-semite thoughts, so I’m reading the novel with that in mind, and it illuminates some of the ideas presented in it. I tend to do a quick research before trying a book of someone I haven’t read before
    Oh I wasn't trying to like be a dick or anything, how do you find it so far?

Oh I wasn't trying to like be a dick or anything, how do you find it so far?
    Don't worry, I didn't take it as you being rough and my response didn't hold resentment, maybe it reads dry because it's hard to show sympathy in text haha

I'ven't been able to read as much as I would want to, but I do like the writing style and that irreverence that reminds me of previous writers I've read such as Bukowski and Henry Miller. I can understand people being turn off by the bad practices of the protagonists, especially knowing they're representations of the novelists and descriptions of events that really transpired (Céline and Henry put this clearer than Bukowski by naming their main characters after them, but Bukowski was pretty straightforward by naming his main character Chinaski anyway). Thus far, I'm having a great time, though I'm still not hooked
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

New books: Undaunted Courage (1996) by Stephen A. Ambrose.

On my Kindle, it's The Flying U Ranch (1914), the third book in the Flying U series by B.M. Bower.

A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Star Trek: The Next Generation: Q-In-Law by Peter David
    Watching television is not an activity.

Extraordinary Member

The Collector - John Fowles.

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    The Collector - John Fowles.
    'Caliban is half a person at the best of times.'

Haven't really been reading much because my eyesight has deteriorated during lockdown (I was getting my test just before...), so I can't enjoy it so much. However, I have recently started East of Eden, which has been on my TBR for far too long!
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    Star Trek: The Next Generation: Q-In-Law by Peter David
    That one's hysterical.

"Sell tickets."
    Dark does not mean deep.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Now reading on my Kindle The Outlet (1905) by Andy Adams.

A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Retired

I finally read the last Sherlock Holmes story by Conan Doyle. I tried to read them in the order that the collections were published, but if I go back and read them all again I would like to read them in the order that they happen in the lives of Holmes and Watson. I think that would be a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I finally read the last Sherlock Holmes story by Conan Doyle. I tried to read them in the order that the collections were published, but if I go back and read them all again I would like to read them in the order that they happen in the lives of Holmes and Watson. I think that would be a lot of fun.
    What is your favourite Holmes story?

Retired

What is your favourite Holmes story?
    "The Blue Carbuncle" is probably my favourite and it was well adapted by the Jeremy Brett series. Another is "The Red-Headed League" which was the first Holmes story I ever read--it was in our class reader, when I was about ten--and the Brett series does a hilarious adaptation. Less so for the actual story and more for the Brett adaptation, I love "The Copper Beeches" because it starred a young Natasha Richardson. And finally "The Man with the Twisted Lip," which is a cracking good yarn.