Page 187 of 261 FirstFirst ... 87137177183184185186187188189190191197237 ... LastLast
Results 2,791 to 2,805 of 3912

I finished Robert B. Parker's Angel Eyes by Ace Atkins tonight.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I also reread it, since it was part of the Christmas anthology I have been reading since the end of Thanksgiving. I never grow tired of it, either.
    Yes, we honour Christmas in our hearts, and try to keep it all the year.

I have had several different editions, thanks to there being so many different (and cheap) editions due to its PD status. Occasionally I share my copies either with people I meet who never read it, or I put them in public bookcases. The one I currently own and read, though, might be a keeper. It's from Macmillan Collector's Library, a lovely small-format hardcover (easily fits in my coat pocket for reading on the bus) with nice, coloured illustrations, thick pages with gold-coloured edges, and a tail band.

Retired

Finished reading CLAUDINE AT SCHOOL (CLAUDINE À L'ÉCOLE), the first of the Claudine books by Colette. I'm surprised to see that the last time this was adapted to the screen was in 1978. There have been several films about the author herself, but the story of Claudine seems like subject matter that could only be faithfully adapted now. Or maybe even now is too soon.

As we get close to the end of 2020, I chose to read two short books written by Stefan Zweig

-The Eyes of the Undying Brother
    -Twenty-Four Hours in the Life of a Woman
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Now reading Man of the Century: The Life and Times of Pope John Paul II (1997) by Jonathan Kwitny.

A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Just read Shazam: The Greatest Stories Ever Told... now, despite his name really being Captain Marvel and... despite the fact that he has kind of a complex history, I enjoyed it. Are these stories really the "greatest Stories Ever Told??" I doubt it, but... they are fun. And overall, the book is a great sampler for Billy Batson's adventures.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    If you haven't read it already you may want to follow that up with Fatherland by Robert Harris.

I've started Republic, Lost: How Money Corrupts Congress - and a Plan to Stop It by Lawrence Lessig.
    Thanks. I'll add it to the list!

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Comics N' Toons View Post
    Just read Shazam: The Greatest Stories Ever Told... now, despite his name really being Captain Marvel and... despite the fact that he has kind of a complex history, I enjoyed it. Are these stories really the "greatest Stories Ever Told??" I doubt it, but... they are fun. And overall, the book is a great sampler for Billy Batson's adventures.
    Looking at the contents list for that book (I never got it, as I already have pretty much every story in some other comic) you might have a point. A good many are oddball one-offs. Like Simon & Kirby doing Cap--that's a special thing, only happened once, but they really didn't know what to do with the character. However, the Big Red Cheese was one of the earliest super-heroes to have extended story arcs, which don't lend themselves to a book like this that tries to cherry pick as many stories as it can. And this holds true for the revivals of the character--you need to have several stories from different issues or one big story from a special book--those are the Greatest Stories. But it looks like with this collection they went for novelty and trying to fit in as many different versions of the character as possible given the page count.

After a month of Christmas reading on my Kindle, I'm now reading The Uphill Climb (1913) by B.M. Bower.

Extraordinary Member

After a month of Christmas reading on my Kindle, I'm now reading The Uphill Climb (1913) by B.M. Bower.

I go through phases where I love to read on my Kindle and then I hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    I go through phases where I love to read on my Kindle and then I hate it.
    Heh. Actually, I have been reading a hard-copy book and also an eBook concurrently for years. I guess I like both experiences equally.

For my literary Christmas gifts, I received a book I wanted: Paige Shelton's COLD WIND.

Attachment 103547
    Last edited by Deathstroke; 12-26-2020 at 01:56 PM.

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Even cooler was that my friend reached out to author Edith Maxwell (I'm a huge fan of her work) and I was gifted an inscribed author coffee mug. It was a very cool and most unexpected gift to receive.

Attachment 103548

Extraordinary Member

Heh. Actually, I have been reading a hard-copy book and also an eBook concurrently for years. I guess I like both experiences equally.
    Paperbacks are good for me because I don't get distracted.

The Man Who Loved Dogs, by cuban writer Leonardo Padura
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH