Page 190 of 260 FirstFirst ... 90140180186187188189190191192193194200240 ... LastLast
Results 2,836 to 2,850 of 3897
    Retired

Every Saturday, of late, I've been reading a story from my Ray Bradbury Bantam Books (that I got in the 1960s and 1970s). I started with THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES, as that's the one with the earliest copyright date. I finished that last Saturday--the next one coming up is THE ILLUSTRATED MAN. I have most of the Bradbury Bantam collections, but I'm missing a couple that I read back in the old days. When the pandemic is over, I'll have to see if I can hunt down copies of those missing--I SING THE BODY ELECTRIC and S IS FOR SPACE. I especially like the Bantam Books that had the trade dress with Bradbury's face on the cover. As a kid when I looked at that face, I said to myself--now that's a writer!

Currently reading

Dead Evidence: The Complete Black Mask Cases of Harrigan by Ed Lybeck, which is a collection of four pulp-era stories originally published in issues of Black Mask magazine in the early 1930s.
    First story was in the December 1931 issue.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Currently reading

Dead Evidence: The Complete Black Mask Cases of Harrigan by Ed Lybeck, which is a collection of four pulp-era stories originally published in issues of Black Mask magazine in the early 1930s.
    First story was in the December 1931 issue.
    Harrigan? That's he!

A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Every Saturday, of late, I've been reading a story from my Ray Bradbury Bantam Books (that I got in the 1960s and 1970s). I started with THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES, as that's the one with the earliest copyright date. I finished that last Saturday--the next one coming up is THE ILLUSTRATED MAN. I have most of the Bradbury Bantam collections, but I'm missing a couple that I read back in the old days. When the pandemic is over, I'll have to see if I can hunt down copies of those missing--I SING THE BODY ELECTRIC and S IS FOR SPACE. I especially like the Bantam Books that had the trade dress with Bradbury's face on the cover. As a kid when I looked at that face, I said to myself--now that's a writer!

I felt the same way, Jim, when I first saw him on the back cover of Dandelion Wine (my first Bradbury novel) back in the '70s. BTW, I have all the ones you mentioned, except S is for Space (though I read it years ago).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

Those titles and that cover bring back a lot of fond memories.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing.

I finished Robert B. Parker's Someone To Watch Over Me by Ace Atkins.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

All-New Member

I like to read Erich Remark books, very inspiring, instructive, interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Anton View Post
    I like to read Erich Remark books, very inspiring, instructive, interesting
    Guess you mean Erich Maria Remarque, the guy who wrote “All Quiet on the Western Front”?

If so...certainly agree that is a wonderful book.

Since Monday, I have been reading about my favorite baseball player of my childhood Tom Seaver: A Terrific Life (2020) by Bill Madden.

The complete stories of Truman Capote
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Holy Vote: The Politics of Faith in America by Ray Suarez. 2006
    It's interesting to read political books from the previous decade. I look for insights into the situation as it was then and note where the author had it right and wrong regarding what may come to pass. I think it's helpful in understanding our current situation, spotting future trends, and anticipating the direction social issues are likely to take.
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

New book: Indians of the United States (1940, 1966) by Clark Wissler.

New Kindle read: Skyrider (1918) by B.M. Bower.

The Fall of Hyperion, Dan Simmons. The Capital, Karl Marx and Needful Things by Stephen Kings.

2 classics and a pretty decent one. The fall of Hyperion didn't really manage to amaze me the way Hyperion did but that's very good stuff. Not more to add about the capital, fantastic read, just as relevant today as it was the day it was first printed, whatever which economy church you are praying to. And, well, maybe not the best book ever written by king, Pet Sematary or It in my opinion, but Needful Thing is a darn decent read anyway.