Page 194 of 260 FirstFirst ... 94144184190191192193194195196197198204244 ... LastLast
Results 2,896 to 2,910 of 3897

Two recent reads;
    Attachment 106722
    Attachment 106723

I loved The Shining, except that the second half was dragged out too much and I began to feel like he was covering the same ground with no additional tension, no increased unease. I was sat thinking, come on Stephen, get to the point. I'd say the weakest of the King novels that I've read so far, but hey, they've all been brilliant. I also watched the Kubrick film, holy crap, that was awful. It was great on a technical level, the music especially, and that blood corridor scene! However, it removed the deterioration of Jack Torrance and thus removed the soul of the story for me as he was always an insane deadbeat father. I think it didn't help that my main memory of Jack Nicholson is One Flew Over the Cuckoo Nest. Nonetheless, it was not the entirety of it, the character himself was just crazy from the beginning, at least it felt that way to me.

The Wench is Dead was unfortunately not a good read, the first Morse novel that I haven't loved. I appreciate the attempt in what he was doing, but it just didn't work for me.
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

I finished reading an advance copy of the Marc Cameron thriller Bone Rattle.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I really like practically all his fantasy novels.

I’d place Legend as mid-table in my own league table of Gemmell books...but much better than most fantasy from other writers.

I was going to recount one reason why it’s a real favourite for many fans...but then realised it would effectively be a spoiler.
    Thanks for the recommend, I've been looking to read Gemmell's other works
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    Two recent reads;
    Attachment 106722
    Attachment 106723

I loved The Shining, except that the second half was dragged out too much and I began to feel like he was covering the same ground with no additional tension, no increased unease. I was sat thinking, come on Stephen, get to the point. I'd say the weakest of the King novels that I've read so far, but hey, they've all been brilliant. I also watched the Kubrick film, holy crap, that was awful. It was great on a technical level, the music especially, and that blood corridor scene! However, it removed the deterioration of Jack Torrance and thus removed the soul of the story for me as he was always an insane deadbeat father. I think it didn't help that my main memory of Jack Nicholson is One Flew Over the Cuckoo Nest. Nonetheless, it was not the entirety of it, the character himself was just crazy from the beginning, at least it felt that way to me.

The Wench is Dead was unfortunately not a good read, the first Morse novel that I haven't loved. I appreciate the attempt in what he was doing, but it just didn't work for me.
    I've felt the same about the movie version of The Shining since I saw it after I read the book. Felt like a much more hollow version of the book aside from, admittedly cool, creepy images.

Retired

One of the books I'm reading is 1001 NIGHTS (or whatever you want to call it). Just a little each night before bed. It's a book I got decades ago but never managed to read very much--translated by Sir Richard Burton. There are no paragraph breaks for miles and the language is of another century. So I don't expect to finish it in this lifetime. I mean it's really wonderful and all, but not a book I can just fly through.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

New books: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1962) by Ken Kesey.

On my Kindle, I'm rereading the short story The Lady, or the Tiger (1882) by Frank R. Stockton and, for the first time, I'm reading the somewhat longer [I]In the Grove[/I by Ryūnosuke Akutagawa (later adapted by Akira Kurosawa as the outstanding movie Rashomom).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    On my Kindle, I'm rereading the short story The Lady, or the Tiger (1882) by Frank R. Stockton and, for the first time, I'm reading the somewhat longer [I]In the Grove[/I by Ryūnosuke Akutagawa (later adapted by Akira Kurosawa as the outstanding movie Rashomom).
    More Kindle ebooks today: Another short story The Spider (1915) by Hanns Heinz Ewers and then the novel The Man Who Ender War (1908) by Hollis Godfrey.

I've recently read "How the Marquis Got His Coat Back" by Neil Gaiman. I'm currently reading "Shadow and Bone" by Leigh Bardugo.

Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    I've recently read "How the Marquis Got His Coat Back" by Neil Gaiman. I'm currently reading "Shadow and Bone" by Leigh Bardugo.

Did you enjoy Gaiman?

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Did you enjoy Gaiman?
    Yeah I really liked Neverwhere and How the Marquis Got His Coat Back was a nice little spin off. It sounds funny but I felt it was too short, but it is a short story lol.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by FluffySheep View Post
    Yeah I really liked Neverwhere and How the Marquis Got His Coat Back was a nice little spin off. It sounds funny but I felt it was too short, but it is a short story lol.
    I really liked his short stories (Trigger Warning).

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Did you enjoy Gaiman?
    I’ve never been tempted to read any more of his prose novels after struggling through American Gods. Obviously it’s all subjective, but it was a major mystery to me how that regularly makes best fantasy books lists.

New book I'm reading: Eyewitness to History (1987)- edited by John Carey.

Great Granny Webster (1977) by Caroline Blackwood

Here's my Mystery Scene magazine review of Deep Into The Dark by P.J. Tracy.

Attachment 107034

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Norton Juster, the author of The Phantom Tollbooth has passed away.