Page 2 of 260 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
    Firm Militant Judgement.. Moose100's Avatar

Warhammer 40k!! THE Emperor Protects!!

Eisenhorn
    Ultramarines

So far. Lots of anthologies to read too.

I finished the Expanse trilogy which will continue and is also being made into a SYFY series!

YES. Glad this is back.

I think the last fiction book I finished was Blue Mars, the third part of the Kim Stanley Robinson Mars trilogy. Took me forever and it was a bit anti-climactic compared to the others, though you could argue it was intentional.

The last nonfiction I read was a personality typing book about the Enneagram, which I've been finding pretty fascinating, both in figuring out myself and understanding others.

I haven't read any novels in months, probably because of renewed interest in comics, social media, having a toddler, stuff like that, but I'm intent on getting back to reading novels. I'll probably jump back in where I left off with the Parker books. I think the next one I had was Slayground, which incidentally was the last one Darwyn Cooke adapted.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

The Eight Doctors is what I am currently reading.

But I need new books, anyone got any funnyish crime drama books for me?
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

I haven't been reading any novels recently but I have been picking up Analog and Asimov's again recently for something to read on my lunch hour at work. The nice thing is that Analog has a new editor and while it has science articles the stories are no longer stuffy old school hard sf stories and have a variety to them. Its been a good read to get my scifi fix.

I'm re-reading Michelangelo Signorile's Queer in America. Next up is either a Chris Hedges book or Jesus Feminist.

BANNED

I got through four of the five Song Of Ice And Fire books and stopped. I was on a total comic binge. Now the comic binge is over and I'm on a Hulu binge. Eventually it will come back around to A Song Of Ice And Fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose100 View Post
    I finished the Expanse trilogy which will continue and is also being made into a SYFY series!
    I'm really enjoying it, too. The first book was good, but not spectacular. The zombie-ish thing made me roll my eyes, a bit. The second was an improvement, but the third was downright great. Abraham and Frank, now that the set-up is out of the way, have really turned on the gas. I'm looking forward to Cibola Burn, next month.

By the way, there's a new e-book novella out, The Churn, digging into Amos's backstory. I love that they're expanding on things in these little digital one-offs.

I'm due for a re-read of my three favorite books -- The Sirens of Titan, Mother Night and Frankenstein -- but my sister's been after me to read Inkheart for about 5,000 years so that's on tap next.
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

Recent fiction was Kelly Thompson's Storykiller and I'm currently reading Freethinkers: A History of American Secularism by Susan Jacoby and I Am Malala.
    Last edited by Godzylla; 05-01-2014 at 07:35 AM. Reason: typo ("j" unread of ":")

BANNED

Anno Dracula: Johhny Alucard by Kim Newman

The most recent installment in the Anno Dracula series. I liked the millions of references to other franchises, but eventually the thing felt rushed and flat. The other parts were all set during one single era, they told a very tight story about the characters involved, but this last part seemed to be all over the place, spanning twenty years worth of development. Newman seemed more interested in working in those references, than actually telling the story he was supposed to tell. As a result the book feels incredibly shallow, the characters meander from one decade to the other, and none of it hits the right kind of note.

The ending was like most of the book, rushed and vague. In the end this is the first book in the series that didn't capture me as much as the others. It lacked the magic of the first book and the edge of the others.

Rereading SECRET WAR FOR THE UNION: The Untold Story of Military Intelligence in the Civil War, by Edwin Fishel.

I am re-reading the entire Discworld series for the first time in about 30 years. I'm buying about one a week and ripping through 'em. Great fun!

I was reading the His Dark Materials trilogy simply because it was there and nothing else was. The anti-religious message isn't even subtext. It's the main idea.
    I know there was something else here before, but I forgot what it was. Must not have been important.

Quote Originally Posted by End of Time View Post
    Anno Dracula: Johhny Alucard by Kim Newman

The most recent installment in the Anno Dracula series. I liked the millions of references to other franchises, but eventually the thing felt rushed and flat. The other parts were all set during one single era, they told a very tight story about the characters involved, but this last part seemed to be all over the place, spanning twenty years worth of development. Newman seemed more interested in working in those references, than actually telling the story he was supposed to tell. As a result the book feels incredibly shallow, the characters meander from one decade to the other, and none of it hits the right kind of note.

The ending was like most of the book, rushed and vague. In the end this is the first book in the series that didn't capture me as much as the others. It lacked the magic of the first book and the edge of the others.

I'll go ahead and disagree. I loved that book so very very much.

I just started Harry Potter for the first time. I've had all the hardcovers for what seems like forever now but finally got around to reading things again. Two down, five to go.