Page 20 of 262 FirstFirst ... 101617181920212223243070120 ... LastLast

I have been reading the ex heroes series by Peter Clines. I read the first three books at my local library and I bought the fourth. It's a great series, it would make a good movie.

All-New Member

I don't know how many of you are into fantasy/romance but this book (and the series) are amazing!

Attachment 17057

Quote Originally Posted by Amacent View Post
    Just got halfway through The Way of Kings, the first book in The Stormlight Archive series by Brandon Sanderson. Never read a novel by him before but I am absolutely enthralled by this book.
    I have been wanting to check this one out myself. I just started Trysmoon Book 1: Ascension (The Trysmoon Saga) by Brian Fuller.

Extraordinary Member

Currently reading a good book on Buddhism.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Myron Cope: Double Yoi!
    by Myron Cope

The author is a local legend, a sports journalist, radio personality and creator of the Terrible Towel. I found his accounts of meeting famous people like Muhammad Ali, Frank Sinatra and Howard Cosell all very interesting as well as his unique takes on events, sports broadcasting and journalism. A must read for Pittsburgh sports fans.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

BANNED

Night of the Hawk by Dale Brown
    Friday the 13th - Hell Lake by Paul A. Woods
    Star Trek - The Return by William Shatner
    The Age of Odin by James Lovegrove

Recently finished the second book in the Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne series(The Providence of Fire) by Brian Staveley, really good reads both books.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Recently finished the second book in the Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne series(The Providence of Fire) by Brian Staveley, really good reads both books.
    I liked the first one, but I've been stalled mid-way through the second one for a while.

Although, honestly, I've got a (virtual) stack of epic fantasy books that I've started but haven't finished over the last month or two. Providence of Fire, Half a King by Joe Abercrombie, The Way into Magic by Harry Connolly, The Mirror Empire by Kameron Hurley, Shattered Pillars by Elizabeth Bear, a few others. So maybe it's just me.

I just started re-reading Jurassic Park. One of my favourite movies, and one of my favourite novels. Good times

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Amacent View Post
    Just got halfway through The Way of Kings, the first book in The Stormlight Archive series by Brandon Sanderson. Never read a novel by him before but I am absolutely enthralled by this book.
    He finished up Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series, did a pretty decent job. Enjoyed the allomancer stuff in his Mistborn series, but was annoyed by the main characters. Still, fun to read fantasy stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    He finished up Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series, did a pretty decent job. Enjoyed the allomancer stuff in his Mistborn series, but was annoyed by the main characters. Still, fun to read fantasy stuff.
    I'd agree with all of that. I'd say the two Stormlight books are his best work, even if the second one gets a little repetitive. I wish he'd prioritize them over some of his other projects. The first Mistborn and the standalone Elantris are also pretty clever.

His worldbuilding is top notch, and he's great at defining simple magic systems and then extrapolating them in novel ways. His action sequences are impeccable. Some of his character work can be a little slight and there's a certain YA quality to even his non-YA material, but sometimes that's what you want. Really, it's mainstream superhero comics in epic fantasy prose drag. I'm honestly surprised that his actual superhero novels are so mediocre.

I'd say with Sanderson his working on that many projects isn't really a problem because the dude's a writing machine typically working on several novels at once, his novels release as fast if not faster than other authors involved in long series while maintaing several series at the same time, I mean right now he has two Mistborn Novels both past the second draft, the third Stormlight book in early drafts, and he's even started work on the last Steelheart book(I also wish more authors were as good as he was in letting fans know where he is in the writing process on his projects).

Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

Wanted by Caroline cooney
    A teenager Alice without a drivers license has been framed for murder of her father with a email confession. She's pursued by the cops, her mothers and the real murderer while she's driving her dads corvette from a mysterious phone call claiming it's her dad.
    From the author that wrote the face on the milk carton.

So far it's good not a dull moment. Also it's refreshing or original to have a teenager framed for murder in the getting framed for a crime genre instead of a adult.

I'm also reading deadly duos partners in crime and their addiction to murder.
    I'm not shocked that Bonnie and Clyde is in it. Also very disturbed to read about early murderers that were able to use a university to make money off recently dead bodies for medical research.

Just finished Firefight, Brandon Sanderson's sequel to Steelheart.

so far this year I have read

The perfectionists by Sara Shephard ftr
    The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien ftr
    Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult ftr
    Golden Son by Pierce Brown ftr
    The Next Always by Nora Roberts rr
    The Last Boyfriend by Nora Roberts rr
    The Perfect Hope by Nora Roberts rr
    Firefight ftr

Ftr = first time read
    rr = reread

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    Just finished Firefight, Brandon Sanderson's sequel to Steelheart.

so far this year I have read

The perfectionists by Sara Shephard ftr
    The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien ftr
    Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult ftr
    Golden Son by Pierce Brown ftr
    The Next Always by Nora Roberts rr
    The Last Boyfriend by Nora Roberts rr
    The Perfect Hope by Nora Roberts rr
    Firefight ftr

Ftr = first time read
    rr = reread
    I read steelheart and thought it was an okay book. The power sets seemed kinda random though. How was Firefight?
    I'm a freedom fighter
    I drink apple cider