Page 206 of 260 FirstFirst ... 106156196202203204205206207208209210216256 ... LastLast
Results 3,076 to 3,090 of 3898

Today I finished reading the Chris Hauty thriller Deep State and I have to say that I freaking loved it. Great character and a thrilling plot that continually keeps you guessing. You can check out my review of the book via this Goodreads link.
    Last edited by Deathstroke; 07-21-2021 at 03:52 PM.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    Considering I'm part of the Mitch Rapp Ambassador program and have already received my advance copy of the new book Enemy At The Gates, you could say I'm a fan.
    Heh. I forgot you were the supreme Mitch Rapp fan around here. BTW, I took you up on your earlier advice and picked up the first Kyle Mills novel in the series to read, though it will be awhile before I get to it (only ten books before it ).
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Currently reading Previously On X-men by Eric Lewald and Stephen King's Firestarter.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Heh. I forgot you were the supreme Mitch Rapp fan around here. BTW, I took you up on your earlier advice and picked up the first Kyle Mills novel in the series to read, though it will be awhile before I get to it (only ten books before it ).
    I have a corner of my room dedicated to all the books I want to read, so only ten books seems like just a trickle of a beginning to me.

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

New book: Isaac's Storm (1999) by Erik Larson.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I have a corner of my room dedicated to all the books I want to read, so only ten books seems like just a trickle of a beginning to me.
    I have 28 in all, but 8 of them are new. The rest are old books I partially or never read. I should be caught up within the year on the latter, which has been an effort on my part for the past four or five years. I want to be one of the few people who can actually claim to have read everything in their library.

I can actually post in here now, because I read a book. Hold for applause. I'm in a tour of "the Scarlet Pimpernel" and read that (as I always read the source material). IT WAS AWESOME! And fascinating that the main character was female (which many don't realise), and a really enjoyable read. Funny, engaging, exciting. A heroine ahead of her time. It's nicely segmented into easy chapters, so it's quite comfortable to read if (like me) you're not really a reader. There was only one segment that was... well, it had pause for concern. How to put this delicately: the chapter was called "The Jew" and it did involve some anti-Semitic views BUT I think gets a pass overall because crucially it wasn't the author's view, or the heroes, but more how the villain saw the character. And spoilers:
    it was a disguise anyway
    end of spoilers. It certainly left a far less bitter taste in my mouth than the Ali-Barber segment in "A Christmas Carol". Now I can't talk much about the twists, because I had read my script before I read the book BUT it was still very satisfying reading the book, despite knowing the plot points and character beats.

Overall a very enjoyable read. Not up there with "the Three Musketeers" but still super worth reading, nonetheless.
    Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 07-22-2021 at 01:02 PM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

. . . I should be caught up within the year on the latter, which has been an effort on my part for the past four or five years. I want to be one of the few people who can actually claim to have read everything in their library.
    So, that means no visiting book stores, book sales, or bookseller websites for awhile as well?

The latest on the Kindle front: the essay The Einstein Theory of Relativity (1920) by H.A. Lorentz, the short story The Outcasts of Poker Flat (1869) by Bret Harte, and the novel Bohemians of the Latin Quarter (1851) by Henri Murger.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    So, that means no visiting book stores, book sales, or bookseller websites for awhile as well?
    Are you really confused regarding what I posted, Major?

Are you really confused regarding what I posted, Major?
    Well, since you had said
    . . . I should be caught up within the year on the latter, which has been an effort on my part for the past four or five years. I want to be one of the few people who can actually claim to have read everything in their library.
    I was wondering if you were going to stop buying books for a little while until you got caught up on reading what you already had.
    It might be tough to actually claim you've read everything in your library if you keep adding new material to what you already have waiting to be read.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Well, since you had saidI was wondering if you were going to stop buying books for a little while until you got caught up on reading what you already had.
    It might be tough to actually claim you've read everything in your library if you keep adding new material to what you already have waiting to be read.
    Yeah, I thought you really understood what I meant, Major. Okay, I'll amend my percentage from 100% to only a mere 99% books read from my library then.

I finished the military thriller STEEL FEAR by Brandon Webb & John David Mann. Fantastic read!

Now reading The All-Star Game: A Pictorial History, 1933 to Present (1987) by Donald Honig.

I just finished the Lorna Barrett mystery novel A Deadly Deletion.

Amazing Member

Over the past month, I've read two David Goodis books (Dark Passage and Nightfall), another Raymond Chandler novel (The Lady in the Lake), and am now currently reading Elmore Leonard's Killshot. It feels great to be back in Leonard's world.