Page 226 of 261 FirstFirst ... 126176216222223224225226227228229230236 ... LastLast
Results 3,376 to 3,390 of 3912

9 princes of Amber, Roger Zelazny.

For the first time in like, 20 years maybe. Used to love the Amber series when i was a teen.

Most of my favorite authors when i was a teen started around the end of the 60's, early 70's now that i think of it. Herbert, Mccaffrey, King...

Amazing Member

Finished Cat Chaser by Elmore Leonard. Always nice to step back into the world of Elmore Leonard.

Attachment 121442

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    9 princes of Amber, Roger Zelazny.

For the first time in like, 20 years maybe. Used to love the Amber series when i was a teen.

Most of my favorite authors when i was a teen started around the end of the 60's, early 70's now that i think of it. Herbert, Mccaffrey, King...
    Think it’s close between 9 Princes and Jack of Shadows for my favourite Zelazny book.

Just finished Midnight Library by Matt Haig. Really enjoyed it, and will try some of his other books.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Does anyone here read historical fiction? I would love some good books from American History that take place in 1866 or so and before. I have read a ton of John Jakes and some David Nevin. But I am not sure what else is out there.
    I read quite a lot of historical fiction.

One guy I’d really recommend is Bernard Cornwell. His most famous series (I think) is the run of Sharpe novels, featuring a guy who rose through the ranks in the Naploeonic Wars. It’s a really engrossing read.

He also wrote a series called the Starbuck Chronicles about a guy who fought on the Confederate side in the American civil war…good I think but not as utterly compelling as the Sharpe series. (I mention it just in case the American setting is really important to you.)

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I read quite a lot of historical fiction.

One guy I’d really recommend is Bernard Cornwell. His most famous series (I think) is the run of Sharpe novels, featuring a guy who rose through the ranks in the Naploeonic Wars. It’s a really engrossing read.

He also wrote a series called the Starbuck Chronicles about a guy who fought on the Confederate side in the American civil war…good I think but not as utterly compelling as the Sharpe series. (I mention it just in case the American setting is really important to you.)
    Thank you for both. I will look into them. I have never heard of the Sharpe novels. And I have not really read anything that takes place in that era and setting. I will for sure look at these. Thank you
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Thank you for both. I will look into them. I have never heard of the Sharpe novels. And I have not really read anything that takes place in that era and setting. I will for sure look at these. Thank you
    The Sharpe series was made into a tv series starring Sean Bean that was good, but not as good as the books.

Will be really surprised if you do not enjoy them..a lot of my friends and family have read them, and they are one of the few books we have all enjoyed. (In general we have very different tastes.) But its like any book..10 or 20 pages in, you will know whether its one for you.

Among fans of the series theres often banter as to whether you should read in publication order (in which case you should try Sharpe’s Eagle) or chronological order of the battles Sharpe fought in (in which case Sharpe’s Tiger is first.)

I read the series in a near random order as I came across them in bookshops and libraries, and still really, really enjoyed them.
    Last edited by JackDaw; 05-29-2022 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    . . . He also wrote a series called the Starbuck Chronicles about a guy who fought on the Confederate side in the American civil war…
    Was he also a barista?

I know, I should have resisted that one . . .

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Was he also a barista?

I know, I should have resisted that one . . .
    Glad you didn’t (resist)…..grinning from ear to ear.

"All of the Marvels". Check this book out. I loved it.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

New Kindle e-book: The Enormous Room (1922) by e.e. cummings.

A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Currently reading a couple of books. But my main go to right now is The Fall of Night. I have been on a huge zombie kick right now. I am also reading The Bastard as my 2nd book.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Current reading
    The Complete Cases of The Blue Barrel, Volume 1
    (The Dime Detective Library)
    by William E. Barrett
    (published by Steeger Books)

BANNED

this summer im re-reading the entire Star Wars New Jedi Order books.

Im already reading Agents of Chaos I

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

New book (well, 29 years after getting it from the BOMC ;-)): The Book of Virtues (1993) by William J. Bennett.

A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Just started reading

The Corpse Steps Out by Craig Rice
    <John J. Malone Mysteries #2>
    (© 1940 / published by Rue Morgue Press 2012)