Page 24 of 262 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627283474124 ... LastLast

Finished "The Beggar's Opera" by John Gay, now moving on to "Pierre et Jean" by Guy de Maupassant

I'm reading the first installment of the serial novel Two of Swords by the formerly pseudonymous K.J. Parker (AKA Tom Holt).

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

I'm currently reading ''Starcrossed'' by Josephine Angelini.

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    Just finished Firefight, Brandon Sanderson's sequel to Steelheart.

so far this year I have read

The perfectionists by Sara Shephard ftr
    The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien ftr
    Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult ftr
    Golden Son by Pierce Brown ftr
    The Next Always by Nora Roberts rr
    The Last Boyfriend by Nora Roberts rr
    The Perfect Hope by Nora Roberts rr
    Firefight ftr
    Picture Perfect by Nora Roberts rr
    Bed Of Roses by Nora Roberts rr
    Savor the Moment by Nora Roberts rr
    Happy Ever After by Nora Roberts rr
    The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins ftr
    P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han ftr
    Starting At Square Two by Carren Lissner rr
    Star Trek: Invasion: First Strike by Diane Carey rr
    I Was Here by Gail Forman ftr

Ftr = first time read
    rr = reread
    Updated. I really need to step up with my reading and spend less time on netflix
    Last edited by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus; 06-27-2015 at 05:36 PM.

I just finished reading Last Words by George Carlin. Now I'm reading The Heebie-Jeebies at CBGB's: A Secret History of Jewish Punk by Steven Lee Beeber.

I finished the C.J. Box short story anthology Shots Fired - Stories From Joe Pickett Country the other day.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

I'm currently reading The Atlantis Gene by A.G. Riddle
    Last edited by Detox; 05-25-2015 at 08:20 AM.

Women and Animals by Carol J Adams

Seveneves by Neal Stephenson.

It's excellent science fiction. I liked Reamde, but it didn't have much to say. I'm still absorbing Seveneves, but it feels stronger.

It starts with the moon breaking up. Earth is doomed, with only two years before its remnants spiral into the atmosphere and obliterate everything. It's up to a small group of scientists, engineers, politicians, and billionaires to take the International Space Station and transform it into an ark, to take as many survivors as they can into orbit. The first third is the frantic push outward, the second third is the rise of the new community in space, and the third third (without spoilers) shows us the ultimate consequences.

It's full of strong characters, weighty themes, and some great twists. Really, it's the best thing I've read in a long time.

After buying it shortly after it came out more than 10 years ago and having it just sit on my shelf, I've finally got around to reading Eragon by Christopher Paolini. I had wanted to read it as a kid and I just... sort of forgot about it. Like... 10+ years forgot about it But I'm almost done with it now. I've enjoyed it so far but have heard the last two books aren't very good so I'm not sure if I'm going to grab the other two.

After I finish this I'm going to start Wonderland by Stacey Derasmo.
    Harley Quinn, New Suicide Squad, Grayson, Batgirl, Red Sonja, The Mighty Thor, Catwoman, Bitch Planet, Secret Six, Silk, Descender, Sabrina, Archie, JLA, DC Bombshells, Black Magick, Paper Girls, Tokyo Ghost, Vampirella, Scarlet Witch, A-Force, Extraordinary X-Men, X-Men '92, The Legend of Wonder Woman, All-New Wolverine, Power Rangers, Hellcat, Monstress, Descender

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    Seveneves by Neal Stephenson.

It's excellent science fiction. I liked Reamde, but it didn't have much to say. I'm still absorbing Seveneves, but it feels stronger.

It starts with the moon breaking up. Earth is doomed, with only two years before its remnants spiral into the atmosphere and obliterate everything. It's up to a small group of scientists, engineers, politicians, and billionaires to take the International Space Station and transform it into an ark, to take as many survivors as they can into orbit. The first third is the frantic push outward, the second third is the rise of the new community in space, and the third third (without spoilers) shows us the ultimate consequences.

It's full of strong characters, weighty themes, and some great twists. Really, it's the best thing I've read in a long time.
    I'm glad to see another positive review of this book. I've been debating on picking it up for the past few days, I think i'm gomna give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Detox View Post
    I'm glad to see another positive review of this book. I've been debating on picking it up for the past few days, I think i'm gomna give it a shot.
    As I said, I really liked it. Seveneves definitely suffers from some of Stephenson's usual flaws (infodumps, endings, stock villains), but if you like his work or hard science fiction in general, it's pretty damn good.

Also, any novel that has a thinly-veiled Neil deGrasse Tyson as one of its main characters is all right by me.

Extraordinary Member

A Cool Million, Nathanael West.

More of a short story, satirising the American Dream. Really enjoying it.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

The Story Of The Jews (Finding The Words 1000BCE - 1492CE) - Simon Schama

I finished the Robert K. Lewis thriller Critical Damage.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.