Page 250 of 262 FirstFirst ... 150200240246247248249250251252253254260 ... LastLast
Results 3,736 to 3,750 of 3919
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JT221 View Post
    Great minds.

Attachment 133179
    Heh. I haven't read that one yet of his, but I will eventually.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

If it bleeds by Stephen king.

New Kindle reads: the short story Off Luzon (1903) by Henry C. Rowland and then the novel The Chase of the Golden Plate (1906) by Titanic-doomed mystery writer Jacques Futrelle.

Here's an interview with author Marc Cameron about his latest Arliss Cutter thriller Breakneck. Article Link
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Dave Barry Talks Back by Dave Barry
    Watching television is not an activity.

She came to stay, by Simone De Beauvoir
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

New Kindle reads: the short story Rafferty's Rule (1911) by Frank L. Packard and the short-story collection The Case of Miss Elliott (1905), the first book in the Teahouse Detective trilogy by Baroness Emmuska Orczy.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    New Kindle reads: the short story Rafferty's Rule (1911) by Frank L. Packard and the novel The Case of Miss Elliott (1905), the first book in the Teahouse Detective trilogy by Baroness Emmuska Orczy.
    Something about that author's name seemed familiar, then I realized what I know it from: she also wrote The Scarlet Pimpernel.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Something about that author's name seemed familiar, then I realized what I know it from: she also wrote The Scarlet Pimpernel.
    Correct, Major. While I haven't read any of those stories yet, I have seen the Leslie Howard-Merle Oberon film numerous times. Funniest thing for me was realizing when I first saw the movie that the opening lines from the Kink's Dedicated Follower of Fashion come from the original novel.

Retired

While I haven't read any of those stories yet, I have seen the Leslie Howard-Merle Oberon film numerous times.
    Not read THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL! What are you waiting for? I first read this book (from the library) when I was a teen (in the misty 1970s), because I'd read that it informed the creations of both Superman and Batman. Although, I think I must have seen the Leslie Howard movie on the T.V. before that (my older brother loved to make fun of the way Sir Percy spoke in that movie).

After reading the book (especially certain key scenes), the scales fell from my eyes as they say--I had a much better understanding of the Action Ace and the Darknight Detective. I'd count it as one of the most influential books I've ever read. However, I haven't read any of the Baroness Orczy's other works, for shame (I must correct that).

The Anthony Andrews T.V. movie of THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL from 1982 is also a cracking good adaptation of the novel (sink me, also stars Jane Seymour and Ian McKellen, don't y' know).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Not read THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL! What are you waiting for? I first read this book (from the library) when I was a teen (in the misty 1970s), because I'd read that it informed the creations of both Superman and Batman. Although, I think I must have seen the Leslie Howard movie on the T.V. before that (my older brother loved to make fun of the way Sir Percy spoke in that movie).

After reading the book (especially certain key scenes), the scales fell from my eyes as they say--I had a much better understanding of the Action Ace and the Darknight Detective. I'd count it as one of the most influential books I've ever read. However, I haven't read any of the Baroness Orczy's other works, for shame (I must correct that).

The Anthony Andrews T.V. movie of THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL from 1982 is also a cracking good adaptation of the novel (sink me, also stars Jane Seymour and Ian McKellen, don't y' know).
    I do own all of the Pimpernel books on my Kindle, FWIW, but I don't want to start yet another series at the moment. The 1982 film, BTW, was the first Pimpernel movie I ever saw (though my real interest was in yummy Jane Seymour ), but I haven't seen it again since that time.

Thursday Murder Club, I'm halfway through it

I finished reading an advance copy of the Jim Shockey novel Call Me Hunter. Sadly, I didn't care for it all that much.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontė

Almost done but I think it's safe to say that it's definitely a favorite of mine. I love to hate Heathcliff.

Retired

I do own all of the Pimpernel books on my Kindl.
    Why am I not surprised?

Quote Originally Posted by Amacent View Post
    Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontė

Almost done but I think it's safe to say that it's definitely a favorite of mine. I love to hate Heathcliff.
    Then you should be done in time for this year's Wuthering Heights Day. Which is July 30. Emily Brontė was born on July 30, 1818. One-hundred-and-forty years later, on July 30, 1958--Kate Bush was born (and someone else who will be celebrating his birthday with them). Kate Bush, of course, wrote and recorded the song "Wuthering Heights." On that day, if you want, you can put on a red dress and dance in a field somewhere to that song. I'll probably just dance in my kitchen, wearing a Wonder Woman T-shirt.