Page 257 of 262 FirstFirst ... 157207247253254255256257258259260261 ... LastLast
Results 3,841 to 3,855 of 3917

You can check out my review of the new Michael Connelly Lincoln Lawyer novel Resurrection Walk via this Mystery Scene magazine link.

Attachment 135828
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

New book: Cary Grant: A Brilliant Disguise (2020) by Scott Eyman.

A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    The latest e-book I'm reading is Evergreen Christmas Readings (2018) by various authors, which will probably tide me over on my Kindle for the next few years at the holidays.

Third Christmas I will be reading this mammoth e-book from now until December 25. I'm up to 45% finished at the moment, so I'll be enjoying this until 2025!

Mi último suspiro, by Luis Buñuel

Sculpting in time, by Andrei Tarkovsky
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

New book: Testaments (2019), the sequel to The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.

Retired

Met Peggy a few times back in the 1980s, along with many other Canadian writers and international writers, at university when I was a young man of great expectations and they came to do readings and talks. It was the big anniversary year for the university and everyone was there at one time or another--Atwood, Margaret Laurence, Earl Birney, Robert Kroetsch, bpNichol, George Bowering, Bill Bissett, Alain Robbe-Grillet, Elizabeth Smart, Dorothy Livesay, Alice Munro, Marian Engel, Matt Cohen, Guy Vanderhaeghe, W.O. Mitchell, Michael Ondaatje, Henry Kreisel, Sheila Watson, Roberston Davies, Aritha van Herk, Ray Smith, Rudy Wiebe, Al Purdy, . . .

Saturday for the last couple of years has been Bradburday for me, when I read a short story by Ray Bradbury from the various paperbacks of his that I have from when I was a boy. I've pretty much got through every short story book I own, so I have to do the novels now. I've got through DANDELION WINE. Now I'm doing FAHRENHEIT 451, but just reading however many pages I choose to read on a Saturday. This book is so accurate to the times we are living in now. Like how did he know? Obviously there's the wall screens and the bland interactive programming on them--but there's also the earthimbles--"ears plugged with electronic bees"--that stop people from listening to the natural world around them.

Into the Dark by Claudia Gray.

Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 12-06-2023 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Met Peggy a few times back in the 1980s, along with many other Canadian writers and international writers, at university when I was a young man of great expectations and they came to do readings and talks. It was the big anniversary year for the university and everyone was there at one time or another--Atwood, Margaret Laurence, Earl Birney, Robert Kroetsch, bpNichol, George Bowering, Bill Bissett, Alain Robbe-Grillet, Elizabeth Smart, Dorothy Livesay, Alice Munro, Marian Engel, Matt Cohen, Guy Vanderhaeghe, W.O. Mitchell, Michael Ondaatje, Henry Kreisel, Sheila Watson, Roberston Davies, Aritha van Herk, Ray Smith, Rudy Wiebe, Al Purdy, . . .

Saturday for the last couple of years has been Bradburday for me, when I read a short story by Ray Bradbury from the various paperbacks of his that I have from when I was a boy. I've pretty much got through every short story book I own, so I have to do the novels now. I've got through DANDELION WINE. Now I'm doing FAHRENHEIT 451, but just reading however many pages I choose to read on a Saturday. This book is so accurate to the times we are living in now. Like how did he know? Obviously there's the wall screens and the bland interactive programming on them--but there's also the earthimbles--"ears plugged with electronic bees"--that stop people from listening to the natural world around them.
    Bradbury was my favorite living writer from my childhood during the '70s to his death. Dandelion Wine, BTW, was the first adult novel I ever read (either in 5th or 6th grade). It's funny about what you refer to in Fahrenheit 451, because I never thought of him as a speculative science fiction writer like the Big Three (Asimov, Heinlein, and Clarke), yet...

The Fallen Star by Claudia Gray.

I finished reading the new Paige Shelton mystery Lost Hours. You can check out my review of the book via this Mystery Scene magazine link.

Attachment 136103
    Last edited by Deathstroke; 12-07-2023 at 01:43 PM.

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

New book: Started reading yesterday The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour: Volume 5 - Frontier Stories (2007).

Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson
    Attachment 136323

I loved Words of Radiance but I'm having trouble fully getting into this one. I get invested in the Dalinar and Shallan sections but then start losing interest when it shifts to random Bridge 4 members

New book: A Clash of Kings (1999), the second novel from the series A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin.

You can check out my review of the Vicki Delany mystery Have Yourself a Deadly Little Christmas via this Mystery Scene magazine link.

Attachment 136409

For any prose readers here, Barnes and Noble is running an in-store only sale through December 28th. ALL hardcovers are 33% off and if you buy $50 in hardcovers in any one visit, you get $20 in rewards if you are a member of their rewards program. ALSO, there is an online sale running that is 50% off hardcovers but the selection is more limited. I stopped by today and got four books and between my members discount, the sale discount and the gift cards I got for Christmas, it cost me $1.71 for $111 worth of books.