Page 26 of 262 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676126 ... LastLast

Was in the mood for a simple yet fun mystery so I chose Artifact, book 1 in the Jaya Jones Treasure Hunt Mystery series by Gigi Pandian. Not a bad choice, might pick up book 2 for a later read.

Just finished The Dead and the Dying (Criminal Vol 3), moving on to Bad Night. I have also been reading Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King, it's pretty good so far.

I just finished Stephen King's Finders Keepers, the sequel to Mr. Mercedes. MAJOR SPOILERS ABOUT THE ENDING.
    spoilers:
    I am really hyped now for book 3. I like how King managed to go two whole novels of straight reality based fiction, only to finally snap back into supernatural horror with the epilogue, and the promise af a 3rd book about a psychic murderer. King writing about how brain damage leads to psychic powers is one of King's biggest re-occurring themes, and I have a theory that King personally believes himself to be psychic. Almost every book of his is about the minds of certain individuals somehow gaining higher mental functions, even when it is just a minor side character shoehorned in sometimes.
    end of spoilers
    Book 3 should be some spooky stuff.
    My one complaint: I hate when Jerome tries talking like a slave, I cringe every time and am embarrassed for King for writing it and thinking it was a good idea for running comic relief.

I actually just found out that this is gonna be a trilogy. I really like the characters so far, so that's cool.

I just started A Million Little Pieces by James Frey.

Quote Originally Posted by Detox View Post
    I actually just found out that this is gonna be a trilogy. I really like the characters so far, so that's cool.
    Don't get too invested in all the characters making it to books 2 and 3, this is Stephen King here.
    Don't read these spoilers til you finish Mr. Mercedes:
    spoilers:
    RIP Janey. If she could've lived, the sequel would've had a much lighter tone. But her unstable cousin Holy is the best character in Finder's Keepers.
    end of spoilers

Almost ashamed to admit that I can't remember the last time I read a non-comic book. Finally broke the streak this week, by downloading the e-book of Stephen King's 11/22/63. It deals with two of my biggest fascinations: time-travel and the JFK assassination. Surprised it has taken me this long to delve into it, as I recall its initial announcement grabbing me immediately. I suppose the news on the series adaptation for Hulu put it back in the forefront of my mind.

I'm enjoying it thus far, though King has a knack for spending so much time on subplots that I find myself getting sucked into those, then wishing for them to be further explored rather than switching gears back to the main narrative. Its happened to me twice to me so far while reading this, and I'm only half way through lol.

I've actually been on a time-travel binge in general, whether it be films, comics, short stories etc. So any further suggestions are welcomed!
    Last edited by MykeHavoc; 06-15-2015 at 10:08 PM.

Just started reading Zombie Spaceship Wasteland by Patton Oswalt. I'm enjoying reading about his years working in a movie theater in northern Virginia.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea
    by Jules Verne

This was my first time reading Jules Verne as an adult and I really enjoyed it. This edition contains a few color illustrations by Joseph Ciardiello. Verne gives very detailed descriptions that for modern readers may slow down the pacing of the story. Still visually he paints a vivid tapestry for the reader as he takes us on this absolutely epic underwater adventure. While there are few main characters the comradery between M. Aronnax, Ned Land and Conseil is well developed and at times very heartfelt. Few other characters in fiction are as interesting as the enigmatic Captain Nemo and his Nautilus. I'm looking forward to checking out the sequel "The Mysterious Island".
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Returned to the Lightbringer series with the Broken Eye, I thought the first two were pretty good, maybe it's just because I took a break after the second but the third really seems better

Brandon Sanderson's officially started his first draft for the next Stormlight book, his next Mistborn novel is slated for October 15th and he's completed second drafts for the following Mistbringer book and the Finale to his Steelheart series.

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    I finished 'Girl On The Train', whatever you read this year. I implore you read it, the best book I have ever read.

Really? You may ask, well I finished it in eight days and I have full-time college and a job.

Yes.
    Meh. I was underwhelmed. It was faily obvious in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Returned to the Lightbringer series with the Broken Eye, I thought the first two were pretty good, maybe it's just because I took a break after the second but the third really seems better

Brandon Sanderson's officially started his first draft for the next Stormlight book, his next Mistborn novel is slated for October 15th and he's completed second drafts for the following Mistbringer book and the Finale to his Steelheart series.
    So still no sequel to rithmatist is what you are saying? Wonderful

Quote Originally Posted by Detox View Post
    Just finished The Stranger by Harlen Coben
    Thoughts? I enjoyed it better than the last one for sure but not by much.

Some ahole tore 6 pages out of the library book I was reading and I didn't notice till I got to those pages and then had to wait till I could buy the book.
    Last edited by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus; 06-27-2015 at 05:30 PM.

Picked up The Three Musketeers from the library and Batman: A Visual History and The Little Book of String Theory from the bookstore last night.