Page 3 of 260 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Slam_Bradley View Post
    I'll go ahead and disagree. I loved that book so very very much.
    Seriously? Compared to the others? How!?

I've been on a big comic kick lately (going through Preacher now for the fifth time or so), but the last book without pictures I read was Paul Cornell's London Falling. Fun urban fantasy that manages to be different from a lot of what's become a very bloated subgenre.

Best book I've read all year is still Volume 2 of Mark Twain's Autobiography, but really, what's going to top that?
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I've been reading a lot of comics in trade lately but recently I've been reading a lot of Mark Twain and other classics as well and I just finished reading the last Harry Dresden novel that somehow slipped under the radar. Currently I'm thinking of reading a good thriller or mystery novel or maybe something non-fiction.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Oh, I nearly forgot. I inherited an old E-book, and it came with a few dozen classic books. I think I'll be re-reading 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea soon, after 45 years or so since the first time.
    I know there was something else here before, but I forgot what it was. Must not have been important.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul W. View Post
    Oh, I nearly forgot. I inherited an old E-book, and it came with a few dozen classic books. I think I'll be re-reading 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea soon, after 45 years or so since the first time.
    Most of Burroughs' early (and best) work is public domain and available. As well as all of Verne's. Awww...the public domain. I mourn your death at the hands of Disney.

I was on a Dresden Files kick for a while. The idea was to finish the series before the new novel comes out later this month. Things were going good, too. I nailed Death Masks, Blood Rites and Dead Beat back-to-back-to-back. Then the new Han Solo novel came out. So did the first Veronica Mars mystery novel. And Clive Cussler and Justin Scott's latest Issac Bell adventure.

I've no chance of getting through seven more Dresden books before the end of the month, but once I finish Veronica and Issac Bell, I'm going to jump back into Dresden's Chicago.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Dresden Files are awesome. Can't wait for Skin Games.

I just finished reading the second Serano Legacy novel by Elizabeth Moon. So far, I think Vatta's War is a much better series in comparison.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Extraordinary Member

Still reading 'Wolf Of Wall Street'. It gets better and better, but I'm hoping theres a 'payoff'

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell's Brigade View Post
    Dresden Files are awesome. Can't wait for Skin Games.
    Can't wait for it either.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    Can't wait for it either.
    I got to meet Butcher a few years back. Darn cool guy to boot. Even signed my Dresden book for me. Been a bigger fan ever since.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

BANNED

Last book I read was Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    I've been on a big comic kick lately (going through Preacher now for the fifth time or so), but the last book without pictures I read was Paul Cornell's London Falling. Fun urban fantasy that manages to be different from a lot of what's become a very bloated subgenre.

Best book I've read all year is still Volume 2 of Mark Twain's Autobiography, but really, what's going to top that?
    What's it about? I was curious about it when I heard it came out but never got around to giving it a read.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Last book I read was Rothfuss' The Name of the Wind.

What's it about? I was curious about it when I heard it came out but never got around to giving it a read.
    Four London cops investigating a mob boss's death get dragged into the world of the supernatural. But that leaves a lot out, including some very deliberate avoidance and inversion of standard "hidden magical world" tropes, and a strong focus on police procedurals.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    I've read a bunch of books so far this year.
    Syrup and Company from Max Berry
    Panic by Lauren Oliver
    Everyday by David Levithan
    Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan
    Me Since You by Laura Weiss
    Red Rising by Pierce Brown
    Half Bad by Sally Green
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth
    The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult
    Missing You by Harlan Coban
    the Strain by Chuck Hogan and Guillermo Del Toro

Currently reading the Fall (sequal to the strain)
    How was Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore? I'm curious about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    I finished the first Mistborn trilogy and liked it(though found the ending just bittersweet as all Hell). Rereading, or listening to rather, the first book again which imo was the best of the series.
    I guess I'm less tempted to purchase them now....

The last book I read was Sidekicks, which is pretty much a kids level superhero book, but I enjoyed most of it. The ending was "huh?". Tried to fit to many plot twists in the last quarter of the book. Before that I read "Confessions of a D-List Supervillain", which I enjoyed immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Four London cops investigating a mob boss's death get dragged into the world of the supernatural. But that leaves a lot out, including some very deliberate avoidance and inversion of standard "hidden magical world" tropes, and a strong focus on police procedurals.
    I liked it, but I'd also been reading the very similar "Rivers of London" series by Ben Aaronovitch and I had trouble not comparing the two.

Still, with the basic setting in place, I have high hopes for The Severed Streets. The blurb looks fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I've been reading The Great Book of Ignorance, or a title to such effect, based on the QI TV show hosted by Stephen Fry - lots of myths, stories, etc explained and what-not.
    Some of it is absolutely fascinating reading and destroyed some of the ideas I had stuck in my head.
    I got that for Xmas a few years back, must get round to reading it.
    'Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth.'