Page 38 of 261 FirstFirst ... 283435363738394041424888138 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    Thanks to everyone with the Anne Rice info, it's all good stuff to know before going forward with the franchise.
    I was never into vampires before, but the show American Horror Story: Hotel motivated me to look into well done vampire tales. Are there any other classics I should check out? I've already read 'Salems Lot and watched Buffy The Vampire Slayer. I do not want to read Twilight. I'm thinking of reading the original Dracula novel by Bram Stoker.
    The Mammoth Book of Vampires is a sound buy. Dennis Etchison's It Only Comes Out At Night will make it hard to nap at rest stops for awhile, and most of the other short stories in it are gold. Plus, it usually sells cheap.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Thanks to everyone with the Anne Rice info, it's all good stuff to know before going forward with the franchise.
    I was never into vampires before, but the show American Horror Story: Hotel motivated me to look into well done vampire tales. Are there any other classics I should check out? I've already read 'Salems Lot and watched Buffy The Vampire Slayer. I do not want to read Twilight. I'm thinking of reading the original Dracula novel by Bram Stoker.

Dracula is an interesting novel, as Stoker wrote it in several voices, as a series of letters and newspaper articles detailing the events of the story. For movies, I would recommend Shadow of the Vampire, a speculative work involving the making of the silent film Nosferatu, speculating on what if the actor playing the vampire, played by Willem Defoe in the film, were really a vampire.

I'm kindda illiterate, so dunno what to say here guys... um, "Gingery stories with vivid illustrations" I suppose.

Go Phillies

The Martian on book-on-tape for my trips up to Wilmington

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Tear Down This Myth: How the Reagan Legacy Has Distorted Our Politics and Haunts Our Future - Will Bunch

Read the first Hunger Games book. It was pretty good. Are the sequels worth reading? Or are they just the same stuff all over again? This girl doesn't somehow wind up fighting in the Hunger Games three books in a row, does she?

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    Just finished Brandon Sanderson's new Mistborn novel, Shadows of Self(next one's coming out in January)
    I just finished it! The twist was heartbreaking and really made the book a solid read. And a new one comes out in January? Aw yeah!

I finished the Lorna Barrett mystery Not The Killing Type.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Black Indians: A Hidden Heritage - William Loren Katz

I just finished the new Stephen King short story collection, The Bazaar Of Bad Dreams. It was fabulous. Stories ranging from scary to tragic, to disturbing, to funny, to trippy. King writes introductions to each story explaining his motivations behind writing everything, which only makes each story better. The Bad Little Kid was my favorite. I can't wait til the inevitable film adaption of half these stories.

Now I am halfway through Albert Camus' The Plague. So far, so good.
    If you haven't read it yet, I recommend Richard Matheson's classic vampire novel I AM LEGEND

Read the first Hunger Games book. It was pretty good. Are the sequels worth reading? Or are they just the same stuff all over again? This girl doesn't somehow wind up fighting in the Hunger Games three books in a row, does she?

I just finished it! The twist was heartbreaking and really made the book a solid read. And a new one comes out in January? Aw yeah!
    He's put out his entire schedule through 2022, it's the kind of thing I love about him. Meanwhile GRRMartin and Patrick Rothfuss couldn't come up with a release date to save their lives
    January 2016: Wax and Wayne 3
    February 2016: Reckoners 3 (final book)
    June 2016: Alcatraz 5
    Sometime 2017: Stormlight 3
    Sometime 2017: Rithmatist 2
    Spring 2018: New YA project 1
    Fall 2018: Wax and Wayne 4 (final book)
    Sometime 2019: Stormlight 4
    Sometime 2019: New YA project 2
    Sometime 2020: Elantris 2
    Sometime 2020 New YA project 3 (final book)
    Sometime 2021: Stormlight 5 (ending of first arc)
    Sometime 2022: Elantris 3 (final book)

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    He's put out his entire schedule through 2022, it's the kind of thing I love about him. Meanwhile GRRMartin and Patrick Rothfuss couldn't come up with a release date to save their lives
    Wow, that is really cool.
    Today I'm reading Elantris. I'm looking to get caught up on all his projects and start following the Sanderson-verse on as it drops. Assuming everything else is as good as Mistborn was. Elantris is my first non-Mistborn Sanderson story.
    A friend and I were talking about how the Mistborn trilogy reminded us of Orson Scott Card. Then I googled Sanderson and it looks like he is friends with Card, and they are both Mormons from Utah. And I saw quotes from Card about how the Mistborn series is the best new fantasy/sci-fi in years. That's cool that these two probably bounce ideas off of each other.

Finished Elantris. It was good, but not as good as other Sanderson books.
    I read a short book called Flatlands: A Romance In Many Dimensions, a story about 2 dimensional beings meeting and trying to interact with 3 dimensional beings, and speculating on what lies in the dimensions beyond their own.
    Now reading The Old Man And The Sea by Hemingway. Man Vs Nature is in full swing, I am excited to see who wins out. I have a bad feeling this old man is not catching this fish.
    EDIT: Finished Old Man & Sea SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS he caught the fish!!! But then he lost the fish.....
    Last edited by Ragdoll; 12-28-2015 at 04:26 PM.

^ I really enjoyed Flatlands. Alan Moore got me into that book.

Thinking Horror: It delves into the philosophy of horror and why people are attracted to it.

The Witches, Sale 1692: An extensive exploration into the Salem witch trails; it came out this year.

The Occult: a History: A delve into the Occult and magic and how it works with ones life.
    http://the9thblog.blogspot.com/

A blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

John Green- Paper Towns
    Didn't like that one. Too close to home for me and I found his The Fault in our Stars much better written.

Plan on rereading
    A Feast for Crows
    or Dennis Lehane- Live by Night (to be made into a movie starring Batfleck)
    sounds good for fans of Boardwalk Empire... like me

Reading... you're never done enjoying it.
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 12-31-2015 at 12:59 AM.

I finished the Lorna Barrett mystery Book Clubbed last night.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.