Page 4 of 260 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

I'm in the middle of reading the short story The Cricket on the Hearth collected in Charles Dickens' Best Stories. At the moment though I've lost complete interest in it. Same thing happened the last time I read A Tale of Two Cities half way through I became bored of it (although that books picks up quite a bit when the guillotine starts falling).

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
    Re-reading the Sandman series. Got a sub for the current lot... but felt like a refresh.
    I'm actually reading the series for the first time. I'm almost finished with "The Kindly Ones" story arc. When I finished with issue #75 I have Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Dreams... But Were Afraid to Ask and Overture waiting in my "to read" pile. I'm not sure which of The Sandman Presents miniseries I should pick up yet though.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell's Brigade View Post
    I got to meet Butcher a few years back. Darn cool guy to boot. Even signed my Dresden book for me. Been a bigger fan ever since.
    I've not yet had the pleasure of meeting him but I hear he's a cool guy from those that have. I look forward to the day when I do though.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Four London cops investigating a mob boss's death get dragged into the world of the supernatural. But that leaves a lot out, including some very deliberate avoidance and inversion of standard "hidden magical world" tropes, and a strong focus on police procedurals.
    I like the sound of the inversions. I'll add it to my to-read list.

BANNED

Michael Scott's Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series is a really good Fantasy series. I'm rereading that.

I recently picked up Exodus and Exiles, two Transformers novels that detail the early days of the war.

Also I'm reading Harry Potter because I never jumped in that wagon the first time it came around.

In the last two weeks I've read 'the Constant Gardener' by John Le Carre, and re-read 'From a Buick 8' by Stephen King. I thoroughly enjoyed both.

I've just started 'Fragrant Harbour' by John Lanchester, four character stories across the backdrop of 20th century Hong Kong, not my usual thing, but I'm liking it so far.
    'Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth.'

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Four London cops investigating a mob boss's death get dragged into the world of the supernatural. But that leaves a lot out, including some very deliberate avoidance and inversion of standard "hidden magical world" tropes, and a strong focus on police procedurals.
    That sound interesting to me as well. I think I just found the next book I'll be reading. Thanks.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Fun-Eating Devil The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

Reading: Geek Love, by Katherine Dunn

Re-reading: fair amount of Joe R. Lansdale (The Best Of and The Drive-In)

Amazing Member

It's Not about the Bike by Lance Armstrong

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    Its been ages since I've read an actual book (one without pictures). I really need to make time for it again some day.
    Same here, although lately I have been reading 'Dr No' by Ian Fleming off and on...

I'm reading, The Black Lung Captain. Its the second book in a series by the name of, Tales Of The Ketty Jay. The authors name is Chris Wooding.

Its a steampunk setting with airships and swords and pirates and knights and scoundrels and all kinds of cool stuff. It is VERY reminiscent of the long gone (and very awesome) tv show, Firefly.

Its a fantastic series and I am absolutely loving it.

Attachment 344

Quote Originally Posted by Grilled Cheese Samurai View Post
    I'm reading, The Black Lung Captain. Its the second book in a series by the name of, Tales Of The Ketty Jay. The authors name is Chris Wooding.

Its a steampunk setting with airships and swords and pirates and knights and scoundrels and all kinds of cool stuff. It is VERY reminiscent of the long gone (and very awesome) tv show, Firefly.

Its a fantastic series and I am absolutely loving it.

Attachment 344
    That looks like something that would be right up my alley as well.

Member in Disguise

Quote Originally Posted by End of Time View Post
    Anno Dracula: Johhny Alucard by Kim Newman

The most recent installment in the Anno Dracula series. I liked the millions of references to other franchises, but eventually the thing felt rushed and flat. The other parts were all set during one single era, they told a very tight story about the characters involved, but this last part seemed to be all over the place, spanning twenty years worth of development. Newman seemed more interested in working in those references, than actually telling the story he was supposed to tell. As a result the book feels incredibly shallow, the characters meander from one decade to the other, and none of it hits the right kind of note.

The ending was like most of the book, rushed and vague. In the end this is the first book in the series that didn't capture me as much as the others. It lacked the magic of the first book and the edge of the others.
    I read (and enjoyed) the first one, but everyone who's read the series tells me it goes downhill from there, so I'll leave it on a high note. I'm getting ready to start Mira Grant's Parasite (the Newsflesh trilogy was awesome), and am impatiently waiting on Clive Barker to release The Scarlet Gospels.
    ...Expecting the Spanish Inquisition.

I'm reading A Feast for Crows that Dance with Dragons. Okay, I made up that title. I'm reading a combined reading list of George R. R. Martin's A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons. The two books were published six years apart but the events in the books take place in the same time-frame. Each chapter is written from the POV of a different character and the first book has a different cast of characters from those in the second book. The result is that it feels like the events in the second book take place after the events in the first book. The suggested reading list I am following combines all of the POV chapters in a more truly chonological order and I am enjoying the re-read very much. The suggested reading list can be found here.

^I don't often read fantasy, but as coincidence would have it, an acquaintance of mine is also on A Dance With Dragons right now; might ask her what she thought of it next time we meet.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Spectacular Member Chintzy Beatnik's Avatar

Paul S. Kemp's Twilight Falling.