Page 42 of 262 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292142 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

MARVEL'S The Stand adaption is definitely worth checking out and miles above the 90s TVshow but The Dark Tower adaption has Jae Lee art and that kills my interest for it

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    I've read Red dragon (and watched both adaptions) last year and liked them. Silence, too. Those just seemed to hit a nerve back in the day. Hate the Mikkelsen show. Couldn't make it through Big Sleep and currently enjoy Live by night from Dennis Lehane.
    Struggling with Big Sleep myself tbh.

Ive got Consider Phlebas andStephen Kings Revival sat on my shelf. Anybody read those?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Flux View Post
    Stephen Kings Revival sat on my shelf. Anybody read those?
    Revival is a very well written book, but won;t be everyone;s cup of tea. For the most part, it reads like one of King's human dramas, like The Body (Stand By Me) and Shawshank Redemption. But in the end, it descends into a full on Lovecraftian mindf&^% out of nowhere. So you need to appreciate both sides of King's writing styles to enjoy the book. I'm tentative recommending it usually because many people who wanted horror cite it as boring, and then the people who liked the dramatics of the first chunk were mad that it turned into a horror story in the final act. I loved the book personally, but it made a lot of people angry.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    MARVEL'S The Stand adaption is definitely worth checking out and miles above the 90s TVshow but The Dark Tower adaption has Jae Lee art and that kills my interest for it
    That TV adaption was terrible lol. And now it would be pointless doing a good TV adaption of it since it's pretty much the exact same plot of The Walking Dead (outbreak, apocalypse, random people wander the Earth and eventually meet up to rebuild society and fight bad guys that want to build evil empires in the American wastelands). I feel like the TV audience would be burnt out following yet another post-apocalypse series.
    Last edited by Ragdoll; 01-24-2016 at 01:44 PM.

While promoting Needful Things, King made a point of referring to it as the LAST Castle Rock story. IIRC, he also makes mention of John Smith of The Dead Zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    While promoting Needful Things, King made a point of referring to it as the LAST Castle Rock story. IIRC, he also makes mention of John Smith of The Dead Zone.
    Yeah, I finished the book and looked up other Easter Eggs from Needful things. Here's some results:

Leland Gaunt in Needful Things and Randall Flagg in The Stand (supposedly both servants of the devil) use the exact same expression; "Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was Akron, Ohio."

Sheriff Pangborn pops back up in Bag Of Bones.

when Ace gets into Mr. Gaunt's new car, he smells the new car smell and thinks "there's no better smell in the world, except maybe for..." This is a memorable line from "Christine.

when the shopkeeper gets a woman to go and burry some stuff in a abandoned house garden, there's a reference to like a ghost of cujo up in the barn, red eyes glowing there, she scrams like hell when she's finished !

This site http://www.eeggs.com/items/3044.html seems to have most of his cross book references nailed down, so I ctrl-F'd Needful Things. It is worth skimming through to see what you had caught and what cool stuff you missed over the years.
    Like I didn't realize in The Tommyknockers, mysterious organization The Shop invades Haven to control the alien presence. The Shop is responsible for the Lot Six experiments, which gave Charlie McGee her powers in Firestarter. And The Shop was involved in the Arrowhead Project, which resulted in the titular supernatural disaster of The Mist. The organization is also mentioned in “The Langoliers.”
    Last edited by Ragdoll; 01-24-2016 at 07:43 PM.

Chocolate, Please by Lisa Lampanelli

Edgar Allan Poe

Yes, the unabridged book with the ending on page 1178.
    It's excellent, even if I say so myself. :-)

Just finished Interpretation of Murder, big novel about Freud helping to solve a fictional murder during his real life trip to New York. It's a very big ambitious book, but kept me reading and entertained, although I wouldn't call it life changing or anything. I like how it ties together Freud with the entire social story of the birth of NY city and its effect on the world, although it was a bit convenient that on his visit a murder would happen that can be solved with oedipus knowledge and also involves all the major players of the 1910 nyc in ways that show off their aims. I liked Freud being a kind of psycho-analysis Holmes.

Is anyone here watching The Expanse on SyFy? I love it and have been reading the books they are based on, I'm reading book 4 right now.

Spectacular Member Chintzy Beatnik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    Is anyone here watching The Expanse on SyFy? I love it and have been reading the books they are based on, I'm reading book 4 right now.
    The show has quickly has become one of my fave shows. I started reading Leviathan Wakes and am digging it as well.

Astonishing Member Old Man Ollie 1962's Avatar

Ishmael - A philosophical novel by Daniel Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    The show has quickly has become one of my fave shows. I started reading Leviathan Wakes and am digging it as well.
    You will not be prepared for the ending.

Spectacular Member Chintzy Beatnik's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    You will not be prepared for the ending.
    That sounds awesome.

The new Mistborn book came out two days ago, I'm going to start the audiobook at work today! I can't wait, these books are dope and the last one had an insane twisthanger.

The original Shannara trilogy by Terry Brooks.

I tried to slog through LOTR a few times since middle school, but it never really clicked. Still, I've wanted to get into the Fantasy genre and Brooks was a non-Tolkein, non-D&D* name that kept coming up in my research. Plus, I've been meaning to read more this year in general, and the books are relatively light reads that I can get through in about a week.

*: I've had the Legend of Drizzt books in paperback for a while now. I should probably get around to, you know, reading them at some point.
    Batgirl - ...BOP - Batman - 'Tec - Nightwing - Supergirl - Titans - Wonder Woman