Page 5 of 260 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Struggling through Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson and its befuddles me that I'm struggling. Way of Kings (the first book) engrossed me so much I finished it in 5 days. I reread it in seven days before starting Words of Radiance. Now I've been working on WoR for nearly a month and am not even half way through it and I'm struggling to maintain interest.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Just finished The Circle by Dave Eggers. About to start Hollow City by Ransom Riggs.

The new Mike Hammer just arrived from Hard Case Crime.

King of the Weeds.

I really love having stuff like this just show up in the mail... It feels like Christmas.
    You can find a bunch of books I wrote stories for here. The weekly column is here.

Quote Originally Posted by danmar85 View Post
    How was Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore? I'm curious about it.
    It wasn't bad. It's a bit slow in the beginning but once you get into it it has an epic quest feel to it. Like Goonies, National Treasure or the Dan Brown Robert Langdon series.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Grilled Cheese Samurai View Post
    I'm reading, The Black Lung Captain. Its the second book in a series by the name of, Tales Of The Ketty Jay. The authors name is Chris Wooding.

Its a steampunk setting with airships and swords and pirates and knights and scoundrels and all kinds of cool stuff. It is VERY reminiscent of the long gone (and very awesome) tv show, Firefly.

Its a fantastic series and I am absolutely loving it.

Attachment 344
    Looks pretty funky, I'll keep an eye out.

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    Struggling through Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson and its befuddles me that I'm struggling. Way of Kings (the first book) engrossed me so much I finished it in 5 days. I reread it in seven days before starting Words of Radiance. Now I've been working on WoR for nearly a month and am not even half way through it and I'm struggling to maintain interest.
    Hah. I read Way of Kings as an ebook on my phone's Kindle app, and I only ever read it whilst travelling on the Tube, so that took me forever to finish even though I'm a fast reader.

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    It wasn't bad. It's a bit slow in the beginning but once you get into it it has an epic quest feel to it. Like Goonies, National Treasure or the Dan Brown Robert Langdon series.
    Thanks for the reply. I'll probably pick this up at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
    It picks up towards the end, and the climax is probably even better than Way of Kings.

BANNED

Triggers by Robert J. Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkie View Post
    In the last two weeks I've read 'the Constant Gardener' by John Le Carre, and re-read 'From a Buick 8' by Stephen King. I thoroughly enjoyed both.
    We watched the Alec Guinness Tinker, Tailor and Smiley's People last year and I thought about reading some Le Carre. Not sure what I should read though.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffX View Post
    It's Not about the Bike by Lance Armstrong
    Now that would be an interesting read, after everything that has happened to him since.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary_B View Post
    I'm reading A Feast for Crows that Dance with Dragons. Okay, I made up that title. I'm reading a combined reading list of George R. R. Martin's A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons. The two books were published six years apart but the events in the books take place in the same time-frame. Each chapter is written from the POV of a different character and the first book has a different cast of characters from those in the second book. The result is that it feels like the events in the second book take place after the events in the first book. The suggested reading list I am following combines all of the POV chapters in a more truly chonological order and I am enjoying the re-read very much. The suggested reading list can be found here.
    I will check out that list and bookmark it for when it's time to reread the series before Winds of Winter! You know, in 2018 or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary_B View Post
    I'm reading a combined reading list of George R. R. Martin's A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons.
    Cool. I just started his Song. With due also Haruki Murakami's Kafka On the Shore. Plus Tuesdays I'm reading Walt Whitman.

And I wanna be revisiting William Burroughs' oeuvre, with music on, either Earth or Third Eye Foundation or just Sonic Youth.

Doctor Sleep by Stephen King.

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    We watched the Alec Guinness Tinker, Tailor and Smiley's People last year and I thought about reading some Le Carre. Not sure what I should read though.
    Hmm, well the books of those are great obviously, but the tv series is pretty exhaustive in it's adaptation (and brilliant). I've not read it for some reason, but 'the Honourable Schoolboy' is like the middle book of those three. I have read the other two, the tailor of panama, the mission song, and single and single, they were all very good, most of those deal with modern global politics in one way or another, I've learned a lot reading them.
    'Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth.'

Mighty Member

Currently re-reading Temeraire series. For the uninitiated, it is the offspring of Horatio Hornblower and Pern.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    I have read Sun Tzu's Art of War. It is a fascinating and insightful book. Insight on Sun Tzu's military tactics must be studied by military schools.
    I found that I'd already read/heard most of the good stuff, and was left reading about how many yaks I need to invade Mongolia...

Leroy Douresseaux

Hi, my name is Leroy and I'm new to the CBR community. Right now, I'm reading a galley copy of "The Three Emperors" by William Dietrich. I owe HarperCollins a book review for it.