Page 55 of 261 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965105155 ... LastLast
    BANNED

The Secret Teachings of ALL AGES by Manly P. Hall

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    [B][SIZE=4]
    That aside, here's a couple other books I finished...
    I read my first teo Dean Koontz novels, Odd Thomas and Watchers. They were decent, but not mind blowing or anything, and I hear they are Koontz best books, so if this is the best he's got, I doubt I'll be reading more of his stuff.
    I also finished Gravity's Rainbow, the toughest read of my life. The ending was beautiful and worth the work to get there.
    From the corner of his eyes I quite liked back then and the one with the dog (Outsider?) which read like an 80s horror movie but Koontz is no King that's true. I discovered King late (only judged him due to his movie adaptions which aren't really my thing) and plan to read the Mr Mercedes stuff soon (so little time sadly). Doc Sleep and Joyland were great books imo.

Still reading Thomas Pynchon's Inherent Vice (movie adaption with J.Phoenix is already out) cause privat eyes/cops are my favourite genre. Next in line will be Ellroy's Black Dahlia (the graphic novel). Currently listening to Dragons of Autum Twilight audio book... yay, Dragonlance you ruined my taste at an young age. haha

Robert Galbraith sucks, halfway through Cuckoos Calling and it doesn't get tense or interesting just goes on and on and on...
    Last edited by batnbreakfast; 06-17-2016 at 11:59 PM.

I saw a lot of hype around this book's recent release, and it was all justified.
    Attachment 37079
    Last edited by Ragdoll; 06-20-2016 at 05:24 PM.

I just started reading Daughters of Frankenstein: Lesbian Mad Scientists edited by Steve Berman. It's a collection of stories by mostly female authors. It's pretty good so far.

Extraordinary Member

I have almost finished Kazuo Ishiguro's 'The Buried Giant'. Rather unfortunately it has declined towards the end...

I finished reading the Ace Atkins novel The Redeemers today.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

I just finished Library at Mount Char and loved it. It felt like old-school Niel Gaiman, very trippy stuff. I loved the core three characters in particular. I've been reading a lot lately and more and more characters feel bland and cookie cutter style generic, but these characters were all unique and well crafted. It wouldn't have been the same adventure if Steve wasn't a criminal, Carolyn wasn't a horrible person, and Irwin wasn't basically Captain America.

I'm currently in the middle of The Passage by Justin Cronin. It feels like I'm reading The Stand for the first time again. Very good book so far. A vampire apocalypse that doesn't feel like Young Adult guilty pleasure reading.

I read my first John Saul book, The Presence. Maybe it wasn;t the best book to start with him because, besides the twist concept being cool, it felt like a Goosebumps book.

Noah Hawley, showrunner of the brilliant FX show Fargo, wrote the book Before The Fall, which was decent, but not as good as his TV show.

I also finally finished Brandon Sanderson's Way Of Kings. That was a long ass book. It wasn't bad, but it's probably my least favorite Sanderson book yet. It is a bit derivative of Wheel Of Time, and the reason why people always say that books of this length rarely justify their size. Also, I don't like war stories so much, I prefer Sanderson's magical superpowered fights. Mistborn, Alcatraz, and Reckoners fights feel inspired by anime/manga type fights, like Naruto/Bleach type things.

Extraordinary Member

Started Apollo Trials, Rick Riordan yesterday. Mr Riordan is back to form after the pretty terrible Heroes of Olympus series.

I finished the Gregg Hurwitz thriller Orphan X tonight.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    I'm currently in the middle of The Passage by Justin Cronin. It feels like I'm reading The Stand for the first time again. Very good book so far. A vampire apocalypse that doesn't feel like Young Adult guilty pleasure reading.

I read my first John Saul book, The Presence. Maybe it wasn;t the best book to start with him because, besides the twist concept being cool, it felt like a Goosebumps book.

Noah Hawley, showrunner of the brilliant FX show Fargo, wrote the book Before The Fall, which was decent, but not as good as his TV show.

I also finally finished Brandon Sanderson's Way Of Kings. That was a long ass book. It wasn't bad, but it's probably my least favorite Sanderson book yet. It is a bit derivative of Wheel Of Time, and the reason why people always say that books of this length rarely justify their size. Also, I don't like war stories so much, I prefer Sanderson's magical superpowered fights. Mistborn, Alcatraz, and Reckoners fights feel inspired by anime/manga type fights, like Naruto/Bleach type things.
    OMG. John Saul.
    I read soooo much John Saul as a young teenager.

And I do not remember a single one of them. lol.
    "All it takes for sexism to prosper is for good men to see nothing."

Last week at work, I read books 1-5 of Chelsea Cain's Gretchen Lowel series, beginning with the book Heartsick. The books gimmick is that it is basically Silence Of The Lambs but the Hannibal character is a girl. Honestly, these books seemed promising at first but are, in fact, utter crap. They never go anywhere and the writer doesn't have the courage to kill any characters besides random victims who we just met. Nobody of importance ever dies and it is very anti-climactic for a serial killer series inspired by Hannibal to not drop bodies left and right. I'm reading the 6th now, which is either the final or just the most recent. I have low hopes and am only sticking with it out of some sick completionist habit, like when I don't drop a comic that started sucking just to see how bad the ending will be.

I also read Planetfall by Emma Newman, a cool take on humanities place among the stars. It's the July book club selection at /r/books (sorry if mentioning other websites is taboo) so I checked it out to get in on the big discussion. It's basically about reinterpreting God for the 3-D printer generation. And hoarders. I've never read a book that put me in the head of an insane hoarder before, which was the most unique aspect of the book, a unique character that didn't feel recycled from other media.

I just finished this one yesterday:

And I just received these the other day. Not sure which I am going to start with. I was going to start the top one, but a friend wants to get it and read it with me.

Invincible Member

I was working home from the grocery store literally this morning where a saw in the alley someone was throwing away shelving units with tons of books and movies. The books I took were Life Of Pi, Memnoch The Devil by Anne Rice, some gothic romance thing, and three small paperbacks by Simon Green who I never read before.