Page 59 of 262 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109159 ... LastLast

Currently reading Poet Anderson ... Of Nightmares by Tom Delonge... I have his Secret Machines Book 1 on my shelf and preordered his new novel Strange Times.

Breakfast Of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut. Kilgore Trout is the world's greatest novelist.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ragdoll View Post
    Breakfast Of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut. Kilgore Trout is the world's greatest novelist.
    I need to read that again. Same with Slaughterhouse (that was a good movie also). Cat's Cradle too...all of them actually.

Anybody here read any of the Dune prequels by Frank Herbert's son? I'm thinking of picking the first one up for a try. I wasn't very happy with dad's sequels, and always wanted to get more of what happened leading up to Dune. Never a fan of prequels but I think these are different. The Butlerian Jihad was the Jihad I thought would be the most interesting. The whole genetic breeding thing is something I feel could happen in some very far future...man replacing the functions of machines and computers by being able to perform the same things just using the human body.

I finished reading the advance copy of Rob McCarthy's The Hollow Men yesterday.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Mark Frost's The Secret History of Twin Peaks is really fun. I knew it was an epistolary novel, before I bought it, but not that it was actually done up like scans of documents, etc. It looks beautiful, and of course, as a comics-lover, the added visual anchoring is appreciated. It feels richer for the way it's rendered. (Of course, over at Amazon, I notice reviews that are mad about just that. Apparently, "books" aren't written as a bunch of related documents and this isn't a "story" or a "novel." Which, makes me feel bad for somebody's education.)

Bigfoot! UFOs! Chief Joseph! Josie Packard! Lemurians! Denver Bob!

Like, The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer, it's not just floating us back trivia and summary of the show, but opening up a whole new aspect of the world, throwing open a door to show us we've been in this one little room and here's an entire world out there we can also walk into.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    Mark Frost's The Secret History of Twin Peaks is really fun. I knew it was an epistolary novel, before I bought it, but not that it was actually done up like scans of documents, etc. It looks beautiful, and of course, as a comics-lover, the added visual anchoring is appreciated. It feels richer for the way it's rendered. (Of course, over at Amazon, I notice reviews that are mad about just that. Apparently, "books" aren't written as a bunch of related documents and this isn't a "story" or a "novel." Which, makes me feel bad for somebody's education.)

Like, The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer, it's not just floating us back trivia and summary of the show, but opening up a whole new aspect of the world, throwing open a door to show us we've been in this one little room and here's an entire world out there we can also walk into.

Last edited by Abe; 11-12-2016 at 02:58 AM.

I had the exact same reaction, right down to the amazon reviews.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

You know how some of the pictures in The Secret History of Twin Peaks have kinds of overlays or unusual spot colors?

Apparently, it's designed to be (re)read with anaglyph glasses, both lenses and with isolated red or blue.

I feel this is evidence of great, great love in the universe.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

You know how some of the pictures in The Secret History of Twin Peaks have kinds of overlays or unusual spot colors?

Apparently, it's designed to be (re)read with anaglyph glasses, both lenses and with isolated red or blue.

I feel this is evidence of great, great love in the universe.
    OK... Now I need to ask my brother to give the book back to me, and go in full Dr Jacoby mode ! (an anaglyph glasses smiley is needed !)

And yes, the return of Twin Peaks is the proof of great great love in the universe !

A World Undone: The Story of the Great War, 1914-1918 by G. J. Meyer.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

T.J. My 26 Years in Baseball by Tommy John w/Dan Valenti

Anyone else keep track of how much they read this year? I hit my goal of reading 100 books in 2016, mostly via audiobooks at work.

What would you guys say were the best novels to come out this year, or if you read old stuff, what is the best book you read this year? Brandon Sanderson and Stephen King did some good work in 2016. And for older books, Ready Player One and The Wheel Of Time series are emerging my favorites.

I've read 42 books so far this year. I usually do a list of my favorite books closer to the end of the year.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

21 audio books(though for the last few years I've been prioritizing length over quantity), I'd estimate around that many non audio books, most recently I've caught up on the A Pattern of Shadow and Light series(which I've enjoyed very much, each book averaging 30 hours)

Am currently in the middle of the Blood Mirror, 4th book in the Lightbringer series

In anticipation of the next Stormlight Archives book which Sanderson has nearly completed the first draft for

Other series I'm following
    Age of Myth
    Cycle of Galand
    Dawn of Wonder
    Last edited by Hiromi; 11-24-2016 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiromi View Post
    In anticipation of the next Stormlight Archives book which Sanderson has nearly completed the first draft for
    I just used my monthly Audible credit on Sanderson's new collection Arcanum Unbounded, which features a new Stormlight novella and all the previously released Cosmere shorts, which I never read any of before (like The Emperor's Soul and White Sand). Besides Sanderson's shorts and novellas and the end of Wheel Of Time, I've read all of Sanderson's novels, I look forward to seeing how this Cosmere collection ties different works together. The intro promised the book would have some answers for long time Cosmere fans so I am excited to pour over this collection in Detective-mode and find all the clues.