Page 7 of 261 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Sisterhood of Dune by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson.

You poor bastard.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

I've been going through Beloved by Toni Morrison. Magnificent book thus far, I'm itching badly to get to the end. The woman has a beautiful way with words. Not to sure what I'm gonna be reading after but I have a few waiting to be read.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    Gone Girl..by Gillian FLynn...I figure I better read it before the movie.
    I'm still trying to decide if I should do that.

BANNED

The Gambler

All-New Member

I really enjoyed the Ketty Jay books, read both.

I loved the first Wool book, but the second (Dust?) seemed to really drag and I couldn't finish it. It's strange as I loved the concept.

Currently rereading The Tommyknockers by King.

I am in dire need of a great book that I can't put down. It's been a while since I read one.

I finished the Christopher L. Bennett Star Trek Enterprise novel Rise of the Federation - Tower of Babel.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Astonishing Member

Since this is a comic book forum, has anyone read Mike Carey's Felix Castor series? Without having read it yet, it sounds like a cross between Dresden and Constantine, wondering if it's worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I've been going through Beloved by Toni Morrison. Magnificent book thus far, I'm itching badly to get to the end. The woman has a beautiful way with words. Not to sure what I'm gonna be reading after but I have a few waiting to be read.
    Ooh yes, I read Beloved in high school. Really disturbing but brilliant book.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'm a big fan of Aaron Cometbus, so I'm reading his new collection.

I just read AMERICAN GODS by Gaiman, as well.

Song of Spider-Man by Glen Berger

A behind-the-scenes look at the troubled Broadway play Spider-Man - Turn Off the Dark by one of the writers. I knew this production had problems, but I never knew it was this bad. Outrageously ambitious sets and effects, an abundance of elaborate (and dangerous) stunts, seven villains, several big egos working together. At one point the director, concerned that there wasn't enough chemistry between her Peter and Mary Jane, suggested trying to get the 2 actors to sleep together. And the problems w/the book - the Sinister Six in Act Two were only illusions, but that was never clear, leaving audiences confused. Everyone seemed to know that the climax was at the end of Act Two, and not Act Three, but nobody moved to fix it. What a frakking mess. I'm amazed it was as successful as it was.

Fantastic Member

Just got into Larry Correia’s Grimnoir Chronicles series. I read “Hard Magic” last week and just started into “Spellbound”. It really feels more like a period pulp/superhero series than the magical noir that the titles and covers indicate but it’s still an entertaining read. The first book follows a secret society fighting a cold war against Japan in an alternate reality 1930s.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeKaye View Post
    I am in dire need of a great book that I can't put down. It's been a while since I read one.
    When i face the same problem, i always try to dig up some old gems
    There is a list on io9 of a less known old authors, might come in handy http://goo.gl/JhpMim

Currently reading future shock by Alvin Toffler, 40 years ago it might seemed like science fiction sociology, still surprisingly relevant today.

I'm pretty much halfway through the second part of the Monster Trilogy by Tom Lanoye, entitled Zwarte tranen ('Black tears'). It's a fair bit heftier than the first book. Enjoying it muchly so far.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by maeda View Post
    When i face the same problem, i always try to dig up some old gems
    There is a list on io9 of a less known old authors, might come in handy http://goo.gl/JhpMim

Currently reading future shock by Alvin Toffler, 40 years ago it might seemed like science fiction sociology, still surprisingly relevant today.
    Thanks I will have a look.

And yes, a re-read is a good idea. I loved the Asimov-Foundation series, so maybe dipping back into those would help.

I was wrong, it wasn't Slayground that was next, but Deadly Edge by Richard Stark. Just finished the first part. They robbed the ticket office of a rock concert. Welcome to the 70s, Parker.