Page 8 of 261 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

So in continuing my Sanderson kick I've now finished Steelheart.

I just read All You Need Is Kill, which is the novel that Tom Cruise's latest movie Edge of Tomorrow is based off of. A decent little sci-fi book, but stunningly short - 154 pages on my Nook. I did not think it was a light novel, either. I still prefer Armor for powered-armor fiction, though.
    ---

Sincerely,

Melchior, the Geddon Knight

Finally started the last part of the Monster trilogy, entitled Boze tongen ('Angry tongues'). It's turned out to be a really condensed story, in terms of how little time passes in 700+ pages. It's very, very detailed in presenting the psychology of all the main characters involved, and gradually exposing parts of their respective histories. It's also rather sinister, even for the standards of a psychological thriller, and the progressive degeneration of all these characters keeps me curious for the next page/chapter. Glad I discovered the author, Tom Lanoye.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

I finished reading the John Sandford novel Silken Prey the other day. I liked the book and the slightly different take on the ending of the story.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    I've read a bunch of books so far this year.
    Syrup and Company from Max Berry
    Panic by Lauren Oliver
    Everyday by David Levithan
    Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan
    Me Since You by Laura Weiss
    Red Rising by Pierce Brown
    Half Bad by Sally Green
    Allegiant by Veronica Roth
    The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult
    Missing You by Harlan Coban
    the Strain by Chuck Hogan and Guillermo Del Toro

Currently reading the Fall (sequal to the strain)
    So I left my copy of the Fall at home the other day so I picked up
    Just one Day
    and
    JUST one Year by Gayle Forman author of a few books I read two summers ago. Both were very good if you like the teen romance genre (think sisterhood of the traveling pants not gossip girl.

I finished reading the Jussi Adler-Olsen novel The Keeper of Lost Causes today. Really liked it a lot.

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I finished reading the John Sandford novel Silken Prey the other day. I liked the book and the slightly different take on the ending of the story.
    I'm a big fan of both they Prey and Virgil Flowers books, good punchy stuff.

Re-read Cell, and read Doctor Sleep by Stephen King this week, such a good story-teller.
    'Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth.'

Currently reading "Affinity Bridge" , a steampunk mystery, and "How It Is" the Native American philosophy of V.F. Cordova.
    What have I always believed?
    That, on the whole, and by and large, if a man lived properly, not according to what any priests said, but according to what seemed decent and honest inside, then it would, in the end, more or less, turn out all right.

Fun-Eating Devil The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

Locke & Key has just got me into Hill's 20th Century Ghosts.

BANNED

Last edited by Mr MajestiK; 05-24-2014 at 10:26 AM. Reason: First pic was humongous

Urban Gothic by Brian Keene

So these 6 middle-class teens get stuck in a bad neighborhood in Philadelphia. Running from a bunch of young black kids they think are going to attack them, they end up in an old, seemingly abandoned house. Which turns out to be a deathtrap, w/moving walls and sealed windows, and home to a bunch of cannibalistic inbred mutant types. So for the rest of the book they try to avoid getting killed/raped/eaten; only one succeeds. Along the way, the black kids break into the house to help them and there's this scrap-metal scavenger along for the ride, too. Lots of violence, lots of sick torture and abuse, lots of creatures, all getting more vile and extreme as the book goes along. Not a lot of plot, or characterization. But if you like gross gore-fests, here you go.

The thing is, I tried this because I wanted to check out Keene, who's won a couple of Bram Stoker awards and been named a Grand Master. But it turns out that this isn't a typical Keene book; apparently he wrote it in the style of another writer, Edward Lee, as a tribute. So I guess I need to try another of his books.
    Last edited by Jodoc; 05-24-2014 at 02:19 PM.
    May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.

Long days and pleasant nights.
    'Authorities say the phony Pope can be recognized by his high-top sneakers and incredibly foul mouth.'

Fantastic Member

Under the Dome by Stephen King . Just finished it . Enjoyed it .

Quote Originally Posted by saul_on_the_road_to_damascus View Post
    So I left my copy of the Fall at home the other day so I picked up
    Just one Day
    and
    JUST one Year by Gayle Forman author of a few books I read two summers ago. Both were very good if you like the teen romance genre (think sisterhood of the traveling pants not gossip girl.
    I finished the fault in our starsby john green and steel heart by Brandon Sanderson.

I finished the Ingrid Thoft mystery novel Loyalty.